PDA

View Full Version : ACD Regional Specialty in Concord, NC

noworriesjake
10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
November 15th through 18th, 2007

With the National Specialty recently behind us it's time to get ready for the Regional Specialty in North Carolina! We have a very busy schedule planned starting Thursday night at 7:00pm or 30 min after the Doberman Specialty whichever is later, the Carolina ACD Club will have a B/OB match, Breed is open only to ACD's only while Obedience will be All Breed. Major pointed dogs may be shown as well as handlers may exhibit any dog they own or co-own, for additional information please contact Sara Griggs at [email protected]
On Friday the real fun begins!! The day will start with a hands on Judges Seminar presented by Pat Leach, we encourage participation! Following the seminar will be ringside mentoring during Sweepstakes and Breed. Speaking of Sweepstakes, this will be open to dogs 6-18 months and Veterans 7-10, 10 and over.

Our Sweepstakes Judge is noted Siberian Husky Breeder/Judge Vern Harvey a brief bio......
Oshvah....Vern & Olivia Harvey We started in Siberian Huskies in 1972. Since that time We have bred 18 litters producing 35 Champions. We have bred, owned and shown several Best in Show dogs. In addition, we ran our Siberians in harness and competed in Sled Races in the Western United States from 1980 until 2004. This dual interest in our breed, produced our concentration on "form & function" in the breeds that we judge. Our second breed was Doberman Pinschers for over 20 years, and we have also owned Belgian Tervuren, Collie and Samoyed.
Vern was approved to judge Siberians by AKC in 1990, and is currently approved in 24 breeds in both the Working and Herding groups.

Just before judging our breed in NC Vern will have just returned from Siberia, Russia where he will have judged the Siberian Husky National Specialty.

After Sweeps will be Breed, our judge is German Shepherd Breeder/Judge ,Lee Brown a brief bio

I started showing German Shepherd Dogs in Obedience in 1970. In 1978 I bred my first litter and started showing in Conformation. I owner handled a lot of my dogs but at times I did use handlers. In 1995 I decided to start judging and got my approval to judge GSDs that year. I have not exhibited since I started judging. To me judging and exhibiting is a conflict of interest. I now judge all herding breeds and 8 working breeds. I judge an average of 4 German Shepherd Specialties per year. In 2006 I judged bitches at the German Shepherd Canadian Nationals. I am on the ballot for the 2008 US Nationals. I have been approved for ACDs 9 years. When judging I first look for breed type (must look like the breed I am judging), temperament then transmission. Herding dogs must be able to move correctly if they are to do the work they are bred to do. I have no color preference in any breed when judging. As long as the color is an approved color for that breed then a judge should judge without color preference.

Our trophies include embroidered aluminum directors chairs, amish made leather collars and leashes, embroidered throws for 1st place in each class and a plush toy for 2-4 as well as Rosettes for Sweeps winners, BOB-WD/WB.

Once we have celebrated our wins and rowdily cheered for the Breed winner in Group under judge Dr. Donald Gill, and with any luck again in BIS under our breed judge Lee Brown, we will then retire to http://www.mikeandsteves.com/ for dinner and dancing. Directions will be available at the ACD Welcome/Grooming Area.

This Regional is held in conjunction with the Greater Monroe Kennel Club show in Concord, NC, this is a 3 day all breed show that has grown tremendously since it's first show just 3 years ago. For those of you with additional breeds there are several regional specialties Thursday through Sunday as well as several Supported Entries. This show will be indoors at the beautiful Cabarrus Arena and Events Center, http://www.cabarrusarena.com/ in addition to Breed, dogs may be exhibited in Obedience, Rally and Agility!
http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2007559701.HTM

As if this isn't enough, on Saturday we will be hosting several health clinics, CERF, BAER, CARDIAC, Patella Luxation, and Microchip. OFA will be offering discounted rates for BAER, CARDIAC and Patella registration. These clinics will be offered from 8:30am until 4:30pm.

Again on Saturday we will be offering Ringside Mentoring during breed. Our judge for Saturday will be Dr. Donald Gill....brief bio
After obtaining his first Saint Bernard in 1965, Dr. Gill was a successful breeder of Saint Bernards and Irish Terriers for many years. Believing strongly that the exhibition of dogs is a sport to be enjoyed, he always exhibited his own dogs and never used a professional handler.
In later years, he has enjoyed exhibiting Beagles, and one of his male Beagles won first place in the Open Class at the 2002 national specialty of the American National Beagle Club.
He was first approved by the American Kennel Club to judge Saint Bernards in 1976, and now he is approved by AKC to judge the Working Group, Herding Group, fourteen hound breeds, Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, and Weimaraners, as well as Junior Showmanship.
Dr. Gill judges many shows each year in the United States and has judged several international shows, including shows in Seoul, South Korea, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Xi’an, China. In May 2006, he judged all bitch classes, and brace, team, stud dog, and brood bitch classes at the Bernese Mountain Dog national specialty show in Michigan.
Don, as his friends call him, is a retired professor of English and linguistics from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Now, he and his wife, Suzan, live in Tyler, Texas, where he is president and show chairman of the Tyler, Texas Kennel Club. They have two grown sons, and Don loves being with his two grandchildren. He enjoys traveling, playing bridge, hybridizing daylilies, growing and exhibiting camellias, and romping with his two Beagles.

Just before judging our breed in November Dr. Gill will have just returned from a judging assignment in China

On Saturday afternoon there will be a new owner/novice handler handling seminar. We have no plans for Saturday evening but I'm sure we will be able to find some trouble to get into!

Sunday our judge will be William Rodriquez from Costa Rica, unfortunately his bio is in spanish and the translation wasn't so great, but Senor Rodriquez has bred and shown German Shepherd Dogs and Miniature Schnauzers, he has judged in several countries.

We hope that you will all come and join us, we are trying to have something for everyone. Greater Monroe has been kind enough to take our suggestions regarding judges and I believe we have an excellent panel for the weekend that really enjoys our breed. We will again have reserved crating, a fabulous raffle table which will include an adriondack chair made by Cliff Beasley, a 30" and 36" fold-down double-door wire crate, as well as some misc items. I have also heard the welcome bags are even better this year if that's possible.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me, or download the premium list here http://www.infodog.com/prm/1221/prm1221.htm or http://www.infodog.com/prm/1221/prm1221.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

We look forward to seeing you all!!

Best,

Leigh Ann Yandle-Perry and The Carolina Australian Cattle Dog Club

noworriesjake
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll vouch for the hospitality bags because I get to make them! I convinced several doggy item companies to send me some free stuff to put in them and have boxes piled in my dining room waiting to go in those bags.

There is nothing better than seeing tons of cattle dogs all in one place!

Belgrael
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Mel, would it be worth getting a bunch of the desk calendars from Laurey to put in the bags? I know the year is almost over but people may still like to get one. I know it's money out of pocket for Laurey but she may go for the idea to clear out the stash.

noworriesjake
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Funny you should ask! But, yes, the 2007 ACD Rescue Desk Calendars will be the heaviest and most sought after item in the bags! I know everyone will want one! AND they can still use them for the next year if they just ignore the day listed and use the dates.

Lolly
10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Mel, would it be worth getting a bunch of the desk calendars from Laurey to put in the bags? I know the year is almost over but people may still like to get one. I know it's money out of pocket for Laurey but she may go for the idea to clear out the stash.

It's no money out of pocket here - I'd much rather give them away to people who will appreciate them than throw them in the trash! Plus it's good PR for the NEXT ONES! (yes, I said it out loud...look out 2009, the Cattle Dogs will be back!)