PDA

View Full Version : Info on some questions about the Nationals

katldog
08-04-2007, 01:44 PM
This was posted on our Cascade site and I am sure Kathy will not mind that I share. DO note that there IS a shuttle from Seattle airport to the host hotel!!! AND they take dogs!!! There will be lots of us (like myself) that have big vehicles that can carry people to the show site

Hi All,

I have received several questions from various people and thought some of you might have similar questions, so here goes!

How close is the hotel to the fairgrounds? About five minutes away.

How close is the herding site from the fairgrounds? About a half hour away.

If flying in, will I need to rent a car from the airport? There is a shuttle available that will take dogs. Call Airporter Shuttle Bellair Charters at 1-888-253-5247. Reservations must be made in advance. Once you are at the hotel there will probably be plenty of folks that can help haul you and your dog back and forth to the fairgrounds.

Is there a restaurant at the hotel? The restaurant right at the hotel has closed (dang it, that was one of the considerations in choosing this hotel). Not to worry though as there is breakfast included with your room and there are several restaurants very close to the hotel.

Can you recommend a good place for breakfast? (How is that for planning ahead?!) YES! Between the host hotel and the fairgrounds there is a fabulous little place in the old part of Mt. Vernon called the Calico Kitchen. Their bakery is out of this world! Alison and Linda B. turned us on to this place a few years ago and now we stop there every time we are in the area.

How big is the grooming area? It is huge, but it is not right at ringside. If you want to be ringside, there is plenty of room to set up your own tents.

My friend already sent in their RV registration, can I still park by them? We will do everything possible to get you by your friends. Sending your registrations in together is best, but we?ll do whatever we can to make everyone happy.

I paid for my Totem shirt and my Pirate shirt on the same check, is that okay? It will be easier for our treasurers if you write separate checks, but we can work it out at the end of the show if you accidentally sent both orders with one check.

If I enter agility and obedience will there be a conflict? We hope not. Scheduling will be done after we have the closing numbers so we will know more then. The rings are all in very close proximity, so you will be able to see what each ring is doing at all times. Our judges will do everything possible to assist with any conflicts too.

We don?t know the Cascade judges, are they good with puppies? YES! That was part of the reason they were chosen!

How long does it take to get to the Canadian National? Canadian member Lynn Leach reports she has clocked the trip at one hour and twenty minutes.

Is it hard to get across the border? No. It is easy to get across the border. We have found it is a bit more challenging getting back into the US. Make sure to have your proper ID with you to avoid problems.

Are Canadian Nationals fun? (I was really asked this) Of course Canadian Nationals are fun! There are Cattle Dogs and Cattle Dog people there, how could it be anything but fun?!

Will there be tenting? There will be three circus tents at the rings for rain or sun.

Can you go up in the Space Needle in Seattle? Yes! It is fun and the view is incredible!

Is it going to rain at the National? Well, this I don?t know, but I put the order for good weather in about a year ago, so we?ll see what happens! Morning dew on the grass is guaranteed every day of the year, so plan to wear waterproof shoes in the morning. Pack your raincoat, it?s better to have it and not use it, than to leave it at home. Hopefully we won?t leave this year with any wild weather stories like a hurricane, record heat, or snow like we?ve had at some previous nationals! September is usually a beautiful month in the Northwest with warms days and cool nights.

And my favorite question, what can I do to help? If you are going to be at the National, please look for any Cascade members and we?ll be more than happy to put you on the work crew. Many hands make light work and we?ll be happy to accept your help! If you are unable to attend the National, you can still help with a catalog ad, shirt order and a trophy donation. Thanks to all of you that have offered your help so far!

Remember to get your registrations in by August 25 for Properties, Social Events, Catalog Ads, RV Registrations, Herding Instinct Tests, Herding Practice Runs, Calcutta, and Rescue and Title Holders Parade. We can accept Souvenir Shirt orders until Sept. 4.
And, please send your Trophy Donations to Lynda White by August 25 to be printed in the catalog!
Remember you can go to www.acdca.org (http://www.acdca.org/) to do all your registrations and to find out what is new.

Well, keep those questions coming! We?re more than happy to help!

Get ready to TOTEM UP NORTH!!

Cascade members are working very hard to make this an awesome show and sure hope to meet many of you there!

Lynda

CKBozeman
08-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Very cool, Lynda. Thanks.

One question I have is about temperatures.
I know that we should take warm and cool clothes, but do you think there will be need for, say, tank tops or heavy winter coats?

I'm from Mississippi. I can handle heat but don't do cold too well ;-p
If it's going to be the slightest bit cold, I want to be prepared!

Psycht
08-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Well cold to a Mississippian and cold to a Pacific NWer is different :-p I am not Lynda but I am planning on clothes to cover temps from 60 degrees to 85 degrees.

Bring a raincoat and mud boots!

CKBozeman
08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Rain coat my butt. I'm bringing both of my rain suits!
My bestest friend lived on the Oregon coast for 3 years so I know how it rains. But I have to admit, I was hoping that the Lesser Seattle Society just gave that city a bad rap. Once can hope!

Psycht
08-04-2007, 02:56 PM
LOL, I don't own rainsuits so I will just have to complain when my legs get wet :-p

sierrasuenos
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for posting that Lynda.

One more question, I went to purchase the famous "Pirate"Shirt, and I couldn't find it. Is it being sold else where?

Belgrael
08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks Lynda, great info!!

One more question, I went to purchase the famous "Pirate"Shirt, and I couldn't find it. Is it being sold else where?
Erin, contact Alison (catchncows) as she is the contact for ordering both the pirate shirt and the ACDCA 2007 shirt.

Psycht
08-04-2007, 06:57 PM

http://www.cascadeacdclub.homestead.com/pirateform.pdf

Nevada001
08-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Will you be able to purchase the sweats & T-shirts at the show as we did last year? I saw on the Canadian site than none would be available at that show. I don't understand the two shows. Are they going on at the same time just in different locations? How far apart are they? How do you show both? Sorry, this is only my second year. Thanks for your help

Jean & Crew

Psycht
08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Jean,

I am not sure on the shirts. Generally speaking I think they order a few extra but would really prefer pre-orders as it helps with the printer.

The Canadian specialty is the two days following the US specialty. So on Friday the 28th the US specialty ends and that follwing Saturday and Sunday is the CDN specialty. I believe that the CDN specialty is approximately 1.5 hours north of Mt. Vernon.

sierrasuenos
08-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks Lynda, great info!!

Erin, contact Alison (catchncows) as she is the contact for ordering both the pirate shirt and the ACDCA 2007 shirt.
:110104emot19_thumbs So do I need to bring that infant ink stamp pad. I am NOT leaving without and autograph!:thumbup:

http://www.cascadeacdclub.homestead.com/pirateform.pdf

Nevada001
08-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks Ingrid

The two shows I meant is the one that the Cascade Club is putting on. I called in my entries they were a little confused with those two shows. She kept asking me now which show is that you want to enter. So I hope I am entered in the correct show in Mt Vernon. I just wondered where the Cascade show is and how people show both of them. For the Canadian show only herding, right now, is available on line. I mailed those entries just as our prop classes.

I bought my neighbour one of the hooded sweats last year at the show and she just loves it. She wore it all winter long on our walks. I got one with the smaller logo on for her, mine has the full one. Just like to see what they have.

Thanks again

Jean & Crew

Psycht
08-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Sorry Jean. I misunderstood. Here is the run down:

Saturday -

Cascade - Sweeps, Breed
National - Obedience, Rally

Sunday -

Cascade - Sweeps, Breed
National - Obedience, Rally, Agility

So yes, the National and Regional specialties are going on at the same time on the weekend but not the same events. Cacascade is not doing any agility, rally, or obedience trials. Clear as mud :-p

Nevada001
08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Ingrid

I was not clear either. I was talking about the t-shirts at one show and asking about the other. Lynda explained that they are at the same fairgrounds in Mt. Vernon. For some reason I thought the Cascade show was in another location. I am finally starting to get things straight.:010105m_yes: Got to have patience with us newbees!!

Jean & Crew

janpeter
09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
..about the Nationals, Lynda, or maybe others will know and speak up - are there motels in Arlington which are closer to the herding trials??

Does anyone have any experiences to share, or reviews of any motels in Mt. Vernon? I am considering staying at the Tulip - good idea, or bad??? jan in Williams Lake, BC:Smiles (6): :fryingpan: :s18: :party0033:

Peppercayenne
09-19-2007, 12:06 AM
..about the Nationals, Lynda, or maybe others will know and speak up - are there motels in Arlington which are closer to the herding trials??

Does anyone have any experiences to share, or reviews of any motels in Mt. Vernon? I am considering staying at the Tulip - good idea, or bad??? jan in Williams Lake, BC:Smiles (6): :fryingpan: :s18: :party0033:

Hey Jan,
Yes, there are a couple of motels in the Smokey Point area of Arlington, which is about oh, maybe eight miles away or so. They would be the closest.
There's the Hawthorn Inn & Suites 360.657.0500
The Quality Inn 360.403.7222
Both are just off of I-5 east of the Smokey Point exit.
These will put you just a few minutes from the Herding venue, whereas from Mt Vernon you're about a half hour or further away.

I only know the Tulip Inn from passing it on the freeway, looks like a nice enough place from what I can see.
Shirley
(who lives not too awfully far from the Herding Site).

CKBozeman
09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I wish I had known that before I booked my room at the host hotel. I didn't think to ask. I'll only be there for herding but will be staying in Mt. Vernon. That's ok though. I'd probably meet a lot less of you if I stayed anywhere other than the host.

I'm getting so excited!

I understand that the temps are probably going to be in the 40's to 60's.
I have to wear a coat if it's 60. I don't want any of you making fun of me for being bundled up in my heaviest winter clothes!
The other day my mom and I were talking about when we went to TN for the 05 Specialty. People where running around in t-shirts and shorts and my mom and I were in huge winter coats and we still kept having to go to the car to sit in front of the heater.:Freezing:

Peppercayenne
09-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm getting so excited!

I understand that the temps are probably going to be in the 40's to 60's.
I have to wear a coat if it's 60. I don't want any of you making fun of me for being bundled up in my heaviest winter clothes!
The other day my mom and I were talking about when we went to TN for the 05 Specialty. People where running around in t-shirts and shorts and my mom and I were in huge winter coats and we still kept having to go to the car to sit in front of the heater.:Freezing:

It's starting to go into the Fall pattern around here, cooling off at night into the mid forties; daytimes it will be hitting the mid (and maybe even high) sixties so layering is the style with a rain slicker for the overall complete and fashionable NW look, dontcha know!!!
It looks like weather will be cloudy, chance of rain or showers here and there during the week. You never know around here, so come prepared for anything...yesterday it was blue skies with high white puffy clouds and gorgeous outside; today it's overcast.
Shirley