PDA

View Full Version : Silky Hair on ACDs

ACDBlue1
07-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I have other thing to ask,my ACD puppy has really silky hair..Do ACD pups have this before there hair becomes tuff?

noworriesjake
07-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Jake's has remained really silky but being on good food helps with their coats. People comment constantly on how soft Jake's fur is. Of course, right now, it feels a little rough where he rolled in paint and some flecks are still stuck to his fur!:120104laughter01:

littleroads
07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
My Allentine Valentine has nice silky fur. But Rody Jane's fur is a little more rough-feeling. Both are nice and shiny and healthy though, due to lots of brushing, good quality food, and fish oil pills!

Waynescustomleather
07-15-2007, 08:46 PM
We have three ACD's from three different lines, each with a little different texture from silky smooth to almost wirey, some real tight and short and other a little longer. Their pups all had soft coats until their color started to come in, then we began to see their true texture. The wirey coats came from a line in Colorado, the soft came from here in Iowa and then Indy who is soft but it lays flat and is sorta long from Wisconsin. So, I guess what I am saying, not all get tuff, depends on the lines, knowing the parents give you a little better idea as to how they may be when they mature.

Deb
Leaning Tree Cattle Dogs

Psycht
07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
The ACD should have a harsh outer coat. With that said, I have run the gamut with my crew. Poe and Sinjin have the harsh outer coat but Tessa and Finn have/had a strip along their back that is harsh and than the rest of their body was "downy" in its softness.

brynmawr
07-16-2007, 12:33 AM
maybe if you could post some pictures we could get a better idea of your puppy Sage. How much does she weigh at 8 weeks, maybe about 10 lbs? Baby puppies don't have the same texture of coat that the adults do. They are fluffy and soft till the outer guard hairs start to come in. But silky isn't a word I would use. The import thing is that she is healthy and well cared for and that you start training her.
Monica

Zaniac
07-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Zane had a "cottony soft" coat as a puppy. Now his coat looks coarse, but when people pat him they are always surprised at how "soft" he feels, looks wirey but feels soft. He has a coarse streak that runs down his spine and is wavy at the end, that's my favorite spot to "scritch him".

ACDBlue1
07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I will post photos as soon as i get my scanner from my dads..i am planing on doing that this week sometime..when he's home.