PDA

View Full Version : My dear Tucker

Kim
05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks Di for letting us share our stories even if they're not cattle dog related. This was a tribute I posted on my web site when I lost my Tucker.

http://heelfree.com/posting/tuckergroup.jpg

May 9, 1993 - January 13, 2005

... What can I say, that's even marginally adequate, about a dog who so profoundly touched my heart? Whom for nearly 12 years was the constant "heartbeat at my feet"? He came into my life an 11 week old puppy, already wizened years beyond his age. He wasn't the cuddly sort - that just wouldn't do for such a crusty, incredibly noble old man. Rather he'd always remain right near me, watching me, looking out for me. He was a worrier... he so worried about me. Ruled this small pack flawlessly over the years; respected by most, feared by a few. Puppies were granted quarter and yet developed impeccable manners under his watch. The cat appreciated having such a dog around. We all did.

Besides being my true heart dog, Tucker was my Novice A Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He taught me patience, he gave me his all. We had great successes in the obedience ring in the short time we showed: general high scores, tournament placements at Gaines and the World Series, and a "let's do this!" attitude - he was a solid working dog with great intensity. I was so blessed to have this little Corgi as my teammate! He thoroughly enjoyed a gentle retirement and I spoiled him terribly. He had earned every minute of it. What an entirely grand dog my Tick-Tock... the best I have ever known.

He joined his old obedience friends at the Bridge on January 13, 2005 after losing a quick battle with hemangiosarcoma. I noticed he was feeling tired and brought him to the vet for a quick look-see; that visit ended with emergency surgery, biopsies, and a most horrible diagnosis. Such an insidious, cruel cancer; it took our breath away and broke our hearts. One week later I cradled him in my arms as our vet eased him out of this world. I miss my Tucker so much... I miss his warmth curled around my feet. The house is incredibly quiet without my gruff little sergeant.

Dear friend wait for me... "good boy, good boy"...

http://heelfree.com/posting/tuckersoft.jpg

This quote brought me great solace :

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.
~ Irving Townsend~

Dominique
05-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Kim, what a wonderful tibute

Kotterkey
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
What a great tribute! You brought tears to my eyes, due to the fact I just lost a feline child a couple of weeks ago. Thank you for the quote at the end, it is just so true.

dickmar
05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
What a great tribute to a friend. So sorry for your loss.

jomarie6466
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Kim,

What a wonderful tribute to Tucker! I shouldn't read such things while I am at work-the tears are running down my face and my heart aches for your loss. :kleenex:

The quote at the end is all too true-if only they could stay with us longer! Thank you for sharing.