PDA

View Full Version : Where does your dog live?

Dog Country Kennels
05-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Where does your dog live? In or out, with you or not?

Kim
05-16-2007, 03:52 AM
In the house, on the couch, snooze the night away with me in my bedroom! :)

katldog
05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Where does your dog live? In or out, with you or not?

BOTH

Lynda

cowdogs3
05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
They live and sleep with us...But...since we are a multi-dog family and have all ACDs here - all with big personalities! One sleeps on the bed with us - she is the established "leader" and does well in that role. I don't want the other's to start thinking they can push her out and since I am "pack leader" I keep that role protected. I also like as much control as possible to avoid conflicts so restrictions are made - an example would be: no dogs in kitchen while I am cooking or eating. Things like that..I really do believe everyone is much happier in an environment like this.

;) Brooke

Kotterkey
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Not listed, but both. They are in the house in kennels during the day when we are all gone, and out when I get home. Then they come in and spend some time with us before bed or when we go for walks.

Shans_RED_ACD_4_me
05-17-2007, 06:52 AM
My house on the couch or his nice warm bed :s1: Where else would he live???? :s4:

katldog
05-19-2007, 05:09 PM
For many of us that share our lives with several cattle dogs (like more then 2) everyone has to take turns. My dogs are outdoors in kennels, indoors in the house, all of them sleep in at night and several sleep loose with 2 sleeping in my room. My dogs are run usually twice a day too. So while they are not "indoor" all the time dogs - they are dogs that seem to have little problem enjoying their lives. I find that many people that have mid to large size pupsters have them outdoors quite a bit.

In the summer my dogs actually hate being in the house!! They beg to go outdoors where they can dig holes to lie in and catch the breezes. It was the same with my Malamutes and Giants...many dogs actually enjoy being outdoors and not in a house where the air is not fresh, there is no breezes, and they shed a whole lot more and have more skin problems if they live with forced air dry heat!!

Lynda

acdlove
05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a daycare so during the day in good weather they are outside in there big comfy kennle and in the house during the evening and night. In the summer winter and parts of spring they are in my bedroom wraith in her crate kelton on the floor then they go out during naptime then back in. If i did not have the daycare they would be in all the time i think!

winddrover
05-30-2007, 06:58 AM
linus is the privileged one and is allowed to sleep in the bedroom with us. he snuggles up with me to get dozy and shortly before he falls asleep he jumps down in his luxury bed.

the girls are sleeping in the hallway in their crates right now. next month we will renovate a big room upstairs and turn that into a bedroom for us. our small downstairs bedroom will turn into a office/dogroom then.

during the day they are outside in their 650sqm outrun for 6-7 hours (IF the weather is good).

geeze

drover

K9Annie
07-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Annie's a working dog, so she lives in her kennel. When she retires, she will be a woman of leisure and get to be a house dog if she wants.

ACDBlue1
07-26-2007, 12:10 AM
My pup lives with my grandpernts..i wish she stayed with me..but my stepdad is set in his ways..grrr! anyway,my pup stays in a pen at night and she's out in the day.My 1st ACD stayed w/my grandperants also.

BRB Ranch
10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
My dogs live under my feet... They are under me every where I go, in the house, in the yard, on my horse, in the truck... I trip over them constantly every where I go!:120104laughter01:

mttrailrider
10-19-2007, 03:16 PM
My beloved Cattle dog lives in the house with me. She is with me in the car, truck, on the trails with my Rocky Mt horse, meetings, visiting friends or family. She is with me 24/7. My constant and loyal companion! ACDS are the smartest dogs ever born. Tamisha loves to watch TV with her favorite toy.

NCJONI54
05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Too Cute, MT!!

3blues
06-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Our dogs all live with us in the house. They love to go outside & play. After they get worn out they come in to cool down. During spring & fall Molly (our heinz 57) loves to lay on the porch & enjoy the day or evening.

Chance & Indy (both ACD's) love to be wherever we are. Indy will hang out with Molly a lot with a ball in his mouth. Chance wants to be right with you.

Baxter, our foster baby, sleeps in our guest room, which is now Baxter's room. When the boys & Molly are outside he's hanging out in the house with us. When everyone's inside we split the house in half & take turns spending time with everyone. Baxter loves to play outside. We take him for walks & play lots of ball. He likes being out more than in. Baxter doesn't play well with others.

Everyone sleeps indoors at night. Baxter loves having his privacy and Indy, Molly, & Chance sleep with us in our bedroom. Everyone has their own beds. Molly's is more special because she's 13 with very bad hip dysplasia.

Waynescustomleather
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I needed multiple choice, we rotate, they all take their turn, in the house, kennel time, outside. I want them to know how to deal with each situation, makes their time in the house special.

Deb

Beth99
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
My dogs live/sleep/play in the house and usually go outside only to potty or if we are out there.

They think they are very abused if they are made to stay in the back yard without us or if they have to potty outside when it's raining. Never mind that they will jump in any horse trough, stream or disgusting muddy cow pen, but they don't like to be outside in the rain (rolls eyes).

julia
08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
my acd mix gina has always stayed right by my side, even if i just move 2 ft across the room she follows. she sleeps under the blanket in my bed with me. she is not crated anymore while I'm not home. my pit bull is crated when unsupervised, and also sleeps in the bed. my 6'5" boyfriend does not appreciate the dogs taking up the whole bed, but too bad I say!!!! :)
my foster ACD, remi, sleeps in his crate and is crated when I'm not home...he's only 3.5 months old though, and likes to chew everything!!

where I live, if I left a dog outside someone would probably steal it. or maybe I'm just that paranoid....

eventually i would like to move out to the middle of nowhere so I can walk my dogs off leash and have a nice outdoor area for them!! they all enjoy being outdoors!

rottalma
08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
In the house but they are restricted to the dog room and take it in turns to have the run of the house. It would be bedlam to have all 5 (3 Rotts, 2 ACDs) using the sofa as a springboard, They all have family time and run together in an outdoor compound. I find myself sitting in the dog room with all 5 overseeing playtime

Ringtailroxy
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
since i live in a townhouse in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, i have no yard. which is fine by me and my pets! my animals are family members & room mates.

i walk my dog daily for at least 1 mile, (usually 2-4) and since i off leash train, i can trust Ember's recall. we live on a lake, so swimming is always a treat. i live 1.5 miles form a local dog park, and there lots of state or county parks within 1/2 radius. there are 2 dog beaches within an hour drive, and lots of outdoor pet events. Several restaurants and bars on the beach allow dogs (outside) and this is a very dog friendly town.

i was told you couldn't raise a happy ACD in an apartment or without a yard-and that is simply not true. it depends on your activity level and proximity to dog friendly areas. i find that i spend more time with my dogs proactively simply by daily walks to eliminate than do some dog owners who simply open the door and let their dogs into the yard without supervision. (nothing against those who do-i am simply saying what works for me)

would i like to live on 10 acres of land and allow my dogs free run daily? you betcha! (along with some minature cattle, a few llamas, chickens, and i want a Connamera pony!)

but, maybe when i retire. for now, this works well!

rtr

RedDirtRoad
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Most of the day Rodeo is outside. We have a small portion of the backyard fenced in and he is in that..... and the whole yard is getting done when I get back.

And at night he comes in.

damabo
11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
In the house. During the day when I am at work she stays, with my Chinook, in "my room". My room is an extra room in our house that has all my stuff and there is plenty of room for both dogs. When I am not at work she is pretty much by my side. Nights she sleeps on the bed on the outside edge, away from my wife, so I am in the middle.

TexasCDLorenz
11-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Since I'm retired, my dogs follow me around all day. We have several acres fenced for the dogs, but the rarely go out without me (gives me a lot of exercise) In the summer,when our temps are over 100, my Rottie hates to go out. My dogs ride to town with me and are pretty much my constant companions. My 2 Heelers are more adventurous, and will go out with my husband to run the perimeters of the property (Opie has to pee in at least half dozen places on the fence) My Rottie girl stays at my feet, unless it is summer, then she stays in front of the ac vent. The only times my dogs spend the night outside, is when we are camping. We have a pretty big, 2 story house, so they run about the house, but can go out anytime they want.

nancyap
11-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Our two dogs want to be where we are at all times. They are offended if made to be outside longer than what it takes for them to pee. Gypsy, the older, might enjoy laying in the sun now and then but JuJuBe, the 2 year old baby, is 100% velcro dog. Gypsy and JuJuBe, for the most part, live in the family room when we are home and go most everywhere with us in the car if it isn't overly hot. Gypsy sleeps on the couch because we can trust her not to shred things but JuJuBe is still crated. Just when I think she has outgrown shredding things she destroys another bed.

If I leave the puppy outside she just barks and chases squirrels. Our neighbors are close so I can't let them bark because I don't want anyone annoyed with us. Thus they are both in most of the time.

Msjinwi
11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
100% velcro - wherever I am, they are...or we hear about it. so they live in the house, sleep in the bed, and yes, even come in the bathroom because they know how to open the door....

BallewsNC
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
With me all day - mostly inside. They have use of dog-door to come and go at will to the backyard and screened porch to fence fight with the dogs next door, take a sun bath, dig or go on patrol for squirrel and/or rabbit invaders..... Spend most of the day sleeping ...oh... I mean "on duty" by the front windows to bark at the mailman, walkers or anything that passes the front of our house.