PDA

View Full Version : Bentleys needed for Grandma dog

jomarie6466
01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Grandma had an unexpected visit to the vet today. She refused her heart meds which I give her in cheese, wouldn't eat her breakfast and her breathing is very labored. Her heart murmur is a grade 4, she has an arrhythmia, she has fluid in her lungs and today the vet found enlarged lymph nodes in her neck and she has a lump in a mammary gland. So, on top of her heart problems she may have cancer. Her blood pressure was so low they had trouble getting blood, but her kidney and liver values are ok as well as her red and white blood cell count. She was given an injection of Furosemide which is for the fluid. Hopefully, she will eat tonight and take her pills in the am. She will have to take the Furosemide 2 times a day now. She is at least 16 yrs old and probably doesn't have much longer. We will take it day by day. We have had a good 7 yrs together and I won't let her suffer or not have any quality of life. Everyone at the vet's office loves her.

Carol G
01-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Bonny Zali's Bentley is on high and positive thoughts and prayers from me for Grandma. Hopefully, the increase in furosemide will help.

Carol

jomarie6466
01-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Carol. I'm trying to get her to eat something. She won't touch her dogs food, but did eat a slice of turkey lunch meat. She wouldn't eat the second piece of lunch meat so I just scrambled an egg for her and am letting it cool. She just looks so sad and tired and her breathing is still very labored and her whole body moves when she breathes.

solidcat
01-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Cowboy Spike's Bentley is glowing for Grandma, and prayers are said for you. This is always so hard.

Pat & Cowboy Spike
<><

Carol G
01-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Hoping Grandma will start eating and feeling better very soon.

littleroads
01-13-2016, 09:53 PM
It does sound as though she may be nearing the end of her journey in this life. It is so hard when you see they are getting tired and worn out; hopefully the meds will at least help her be comfortable. I know that you will not let her suffer. I think we all love Grandma, from all the things you have told us about her. She reminds me very much of my old Deener-Dog - she was the best dog we ever had. We will light up the Bentleys here for Grandma. ♥

jomarie6466
01-14-2016, 01:16 AM
Grandma licked the scrambled egg and may have eaten a tiny bit. She did eat 2 small dog treats and drank some water. When I let the dogs out to potty just now I had to carry Grandma outside and she did pee. I carried her back in and gave her a treat, but she wouldn't eat it. Her breathing is still very labored and she is grunting a bit when she breathes. I got her to drink some more water, but if she isn't any better in the morning I will be calling the vet. She has always been a sassy dog and to see her like this is heartbreaking. :(

sharirus
01-14-2016, 01:24 AM
It is heartbreaking to read about poor Grandma but it is very uplifting reading about how you are making her life so much more comfortable and how much she is loved. You are a very special person and it shows in how much you care.
River's Bentley is glowing strong to help Grandma be at peace.

Why is her name Grandma ?

jomarie6466
01-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Thank you, sharirus. Grandma's condition worsened overnight and she is coughing up blood and foam so I will be calling the vet at 8 am to schedule euthanasia. Poor Grandma looks so miserable and I can't let her suffer.

Grandma got her name because when she came into the shelter we could tell that she was older and had had many litters of puppies. I remarked that her puppies had probably had puppies and that she was probably a Grandma and the name stuck. It just seemed to fit her and everyone has gotten a kick out of her name when they hear it. I will write up the rest of her story later.

jomarie6466
01-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Grandma is at the Bridge. More later.

sharirus
01-14-2016, 12:21 PM
It's a sad day. My heart goes out to you.
River's Bently is softly glowing for Grandma to find her way over the bridge where she'll meet her friends and have happiness and peace.

babswilde
01-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Titan and Bandito are lighting up their Bentleys with a tiny glow to Heaven for Grandma.

Carol G
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Oh Diane, I am so sorry. You did the right thing for her, but I know how difficult this was. I know she had a wonderful 7 years with you.

jomarie6466
01-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.

solidcat
01-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Diane -- So sorry. Like everyone else here, I know how hard this is. Cowboy Spike's Bentley is glowing softly for you, and my ACDx, Jake, is waiting at the Bridge to welcome Grandma.

Pat & Cowboy Spike
<><

jomarie6466
01-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Thank you. I think Grandma was an ACD in spirit and heart. I have cried more today than I have in years.

littleroads
01-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Tears help wash away the pain, and help the memories grow.

jomarie6466
01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
It has been a rough week. I still can't sleep more than a few hours at a time knowing that Grandma isn't sleeping on one of the dog beds in my room. I just spoke with Dr. Kramer who took care of Grandma to thank him for his care and compassion. I felt that I had to do this to gain closure about Grandma's passing. He feels that she had cancer in her lungs and coupled with her heart disease it made her go downhill quickly. He said that he was sorry that we couldn't buy her more time and I am, too. It meant a lot to have him say that. Even though I have lost numerous dogs, horses and cats over the years losing Grandma has really hit me hard. I know there are a lot of other people on here who have dealt with the same thing and I know in time it won't hurt so much. I am writing my memories of my time with Grandma. It helps to do this and it makes me remember all the good times we had together. She was a funny, happy little dog who lived each day to the fullest and I know she will greet me at the Bridge. She will probably throw her head back and give me that funny little howl that she used to do.

leesam
01-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I have a lot of dog memorabilia made with pictures of our dogs. If you have a good quality photo, maybe have a blanket made or something (photoweavers has a sale for $55 with code "photohugs") or something from artscow (which has stuff on sale like constantly though the lead time is pretty long)

jomarie6466
01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Lee, I will have to look into that. I am having Kathy Branson make a necklace for me. She uses a metal disc and stamps the dog's name, a heart and a paw print on it. I had one made for Josie, my first ACD. Today was better, but I know tomorrow will be rough since it is a week since I had Grandma put to sleep. I had her cremated and am having a paw print made. I will get her ashes back next week.

jomarie6466
01-27-2016, 07:28 PM
I brought Grandma home today. Her paw print is so sweet and made me cry. Now she is home where she belongs. <3