PDA

View Full Version : Bentleys for Bonny Zali

Carol G
03-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Bonny Zali had a growth removed last week. I should hear on the biopsy Monday. Would appreciate a Bentley or two than it is benign. Thanks,

Carol and Bonny Zali

jomarie6466
03-03-2014, 09:46 AM
4 Bentleys lit and positive thoughts that it is benign.

littleroads
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Bentleys on high here too, Carol. It is hard to wait and not know.

badeggsalad
03-03-2014, 06:34 PM
:bentley: for Bonnie Zali from Toohey. I hope you get good news.

Carol G
03-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you for the Bentleys -- they did the trick and it was benign.

I am so relieved!

Carol

littleroads
03-04-2014, 04:33 PM
BIG WHEW!!! I am relieved for you both!!
:happytears::pawup:

jomarie6466
03-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Awesome news! :party0042:

badeggsalad
03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
:pawup:

Carol G
01-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Could use some Bentleys for Bonny Zali. She has been having some issues recently. There has been more stress for her because of construction noise, and activity next door. In addition, she has been coughing and her appetite is off (she has become a very picky girl which isn't like her at all). The time before last at the vet, there was elevated protein in her urine and her liver looked somewhat enlarged on the x-ray. So, she is having an ultrasound tomorrow.

She is currently on Prozac for her anxiety and DES for her incontinence. I am concerned that one or both or the combination of the two may be impacting her appetite. I'm going to discuss taking her off the Prozac with the vet. While I initially thought it might be helping her, I'm just not sure now, and I'm concerned that it could be causing problems.

Anyhow, a Bentley or two would be appreciated. Thanks,

Carol and Bonny Zali

littleroads
01-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Bentleys here, Carol. I was going to suggest Clomicalm in place of the Prozac, but I see that that can also cause elevated liver enzymes. Perhaps the vet knows of some other medication that would help her with the anxiety. I hope the other issues can be resolved as well. Bonny Zali is such a good girl and has come such a long way with you.

babswilde
01-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Bentleys from Titan and Bandito for her from here.

The1AndOnlyWay7
01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Prayers and Bentleys!

Carol G
01-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Thank you Ei, Barbara & Sam. The ultra sound didn't show any bad tumors or really bad anything else. Her adrenals looked a little large, as did her liver. Those two things along with the elevated protein in the urine made the vet think Cushings might be a possibility (although that would not explain her current issues). Other than panting, she does not have any of the usual symptoms of Cushings, but decided to have the test for that today. It will take 8 hours so I can't pick her up until after 6:00 PM. They will also do another senior blood work up.

The vet and I agreed to taking her off all the Chinese herbs and the Prozac. We will leave her on the DES for now. Prozac needs to be discontinued slowly so it will take 2-3 weeks to get her off that.

Poor baby. Life has been so harsh for her, and I feel terrible that what I thought was the best choice for her (Prozac) may be making things worse. Our environment is stressful too now with the construction next door and my stress over having to move.

Carol

jomarie6466
01-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Somehow I missed seeing this post yesterday. I'm glad the ultrasound didn't show anything. Don't beat yourself up for putting Bonnie Zali on Prozac to help her. You did what you thought was best and what some of us suggested might help her. I'm not sure if Rescue Remedy would have any adverse effects on the liver. You could also look into using Essential Oils which are used on the outside of the body. I'm sure the construction and your stress have you both upset. Some of it might also be genetic or the result of the awful conditions that Bonnie Zali was in. Bentleys are lit and also sending prayers and positive thoughts for you both. If there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to talk send me a pee mail, please.

Carol G
01-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Thank you Diane. You are right, the prozac decision was carefully made with lots of input, including that my vet asked the advice of other vets. Also, it may be that the Prozac is not causing the problems. It could also be the DES, and I need to give that some thought.

I've used Rescue Remedy as well as a flower essence blend that I mix myself that was recommended by an animal communicator. I should go back to using that -- thanks for the reminder. Bonny came out of her previous situation very, very emotionally scarred and it is a lot to overcome. Once we move, things will improve stress-wise I'm sure. I will check into the essential oils -- I use those myself. Also since the acupuncture vet retired, she hasn't been getting acupuncture and that really helps. I tried a new one that I like, but she is a long drive away. I'll try to get her in for that next week.

I appreciate the offer of talking and may take you up on that. Thanks!

littleroads
01-14-2015, 10:25 PM
All of those things are good ideas. How soon til you move? Hopefully once you are in it will alleviate a lot of the stress for both of you.

Carol G
01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
I need to move by the end of Feb (was the end of Jan, but got an extension). I would like to move towards the first of Feb, but I've not yet found a place. The area that I'm in and want to stay in, is a very tight rental market.

Could probably use some Bentleys for finding a good place too (if Bentley's can be used for that sort of thing).

Bonny is home from the vet and happy to be here. She always gets such a good report on her behavior and how sweet she is. Should hear more tomorrow on the bloodwork, but don't know about the Cushings test (it might take longer).

Carol

Mel2001
01-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Bentleys from Nash & Ginger, and good thoughts toward finding a new home. I haven't had any luck in finding out if anyone I know has any rental leads in your area.

<3

jomarie6466
01-15-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm glad that Bonny is home from the vet and happy to be home. Sending positive thoughts as well as 4 Bentleys that you find a place to move to. I'm sure it will help to reduce the stress for both of you once the move is made.

Carol G
01-15-2015, 03:27 AM
Thank you Mel & Diane.

Bonny has been sleeping peacefully all evening. I am optimistic that getting her off the Prozac will make a difference. You just never know with drugs, or even non-drugs. I'm a faithful user of Rescue Remedy, but Rescue Remedy sleep formula gives me horrible nightmares.

Carol

Carol G
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Bonny Zali's blood work came back generally normal, and the Cushings test was in a gray area -- a little elevated, but not enough to diagnose as Cushings. So, the plan is to take her off the Chinese herbs, and gradually take her off the Prozac. Then, if that doesn't get her back to normal, consider taking her off the DES. The vet recommended another anti-anxiety drug, Traxodone, that doesn't have to be given on a regular basis. This would be something I could give her just when the need arises or I know she will be in a scary situation (like when we are moving). The vet feels this drug works better than Xanax.

So, it was certainly good to know there isn't anything serious. She is such a good little girl.

Carol

The1AndOnlyWay7
01-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Happy to hear the results came back good!

Laurarenken
01-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Good news. Hugs to you and Bonnie. Hope stress levels ease soon for you both.

Carol G
01-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Now Bonny Z has diarrhea. When I first got her, we battled diarrhea and loose stools for a long time, and I'm sure it was stress related. She will have an episode every now and then when she is stressed. Called the vet and got an Rx for flagyl. Hopefully, that will get her back on track. Poor little girl.

Carol

redcattle
01-17-2015, 04:23 AM
Croydon and I have the Bentleys lit on high here in OZ for Bonny Zali after what I have just gone through I know the power of the Bentley and our thoughts and prayers are with you that you get an answer as to what the problem is and I hope it is easily treated. They found Croydon had chronic hepatitis when they opened him up to remove the foreign body from his bowels and now he is being treated for that we would'nt have known about it if he had'nt had the surgery one thing goes wrong and they find another. I am sure you will get an answer for Bonny Zali and we will keep the Bentleys glowing until they do Anne and Croydon

jomarie6466
01-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Poor Bonny Zali. She sure has a rough time of it and I know it is hard on you as well. Hoping the flagyl will do the trick and she will feel better soon.

Carol G
01-17-2015, 11:30 PM
HOORAY! Bonny Zali had a nice firm poop tonight. She seems to be feeling pretty good. I'm very relieved.

It is nice to have a place where people understand, how important this is :)

Carol

littleroads
01-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Cattle dog people love good firm poop! :lol:

Happy dance for Bonny Zali!

Mel2001
01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Yep, we get excited about poop here on AuCaDo! I hope BZ's stress level stays at a minimum!

The1AndOnlyWay7
01-20-2015, 10:20 AM
I will jump on the firm poop loving train! Hooray for good poops!

kanis
01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Flagyl worked wonders on Blue when she kept getting it. Glad to hear she is better! Our cat is on antibiotics for unknown cause of diarrhea. Since he won't go in his litter box he is stuck in the bathroom.

Carol G
01-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Bonny has regressed, she isn't having diarrhea but soft stools. It isn't terrible though -- so still seems to be on the mend. Flagyl really does seem to help.

Carol

Mel2001
01-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Poor girl. Are the construction guys still in the area?

Carol G
01-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Poor girl. Are the construction guys still in the area?

Yep, it hasn't been too bad the past day or so, but there is just so much activity and just too many strangers coming and going. Half the time when I take her out to the front yard, she wants to go back right away. Last night's poop wasn't too bad.

This is so much like when I first got her. Poor baby.

Carol

redcattle
01-30-2015, 08:54 PM
:bentley:Croydon and I are going to keep the Bentleys lit for Bonny Zali. With all I have been through lately with Croydon I know what comfort it is to have the lovely people on this sight supporting you. It certainly helped me through it and I know it will help you. ACD's are a tough dog that I have learnt and I am sure given time Bonny Zali will overcome her anxiety. I know the joy of a firm poo I waited a week for Croydon to do one after surgery and felt like throwing a party when it happened. We are all behind you on this especially Croydon and I who know the power of the Bentley we will be thinking of you here in OZ

Carol G
01-30-2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the Bentley and support from OZ. The vet put her back on the Flagyl, and that is helping. She is eating well, so that is good.

Carol

Carol G
02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Bonny seems to be doing better (knock wood). This is rather complex so bear with me. The diarrhea is much improved. She finished the last course of Flagyl, still had soft poops but better. Since her appetite has improved and she will eat pumpkin again, I started giving her pumpkin with each meal. The pumpkin seems to have done the trick and she has had several reasonably firm poops in a row. Hooray for pumpkin!

The appetite improvement takes us to the next issue. Her appetite had been way off and she was just seeming a little draggy and off to me. I discussed taking her off the Prozac with the vet and decided to do that. I've been gradually weaning her off the Prozac for the past 3 weeks, and I think that was the right decision. Her appetite is back to pretty much normal, and she seems perkier.

There is still the construction next door (even more noise and commotion now), and sometimes she just won't stay outside even though I'm with her -- makes it challenging when I know she needs to poop or tinkle.

We will be moving the end of the month (I finally found what I think will be a good place for all of us). I am worried about how the moving will impact Bonny and Al, but we will get through it somehow. I will try the new anti-anxiety med the vet recommended, Traxodone, since that can be given on an as needed basis. I think I'll take Bonny to the vet for the day of the actual move -- oddly, she is more comfortable at the vets than most places other than home. For a dog like Bonny, moving has to be scary. I just wish there was some way I could let her know that she will be safe.

That's about it. Thank you for all the support. It means so much.

Carol

redcattle
02-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Carol G you are spot on with the pumpkin. I have been feeding pumpkin to Croydon since he was a puppy. He loves it so much I actually caught him eating one raw that was growing in our garden when we lived on the property. After his recent brush with death he was pooping slop and not really eating but once I got him to eat the pumpkin was cooked and mixed in with his food along with other veges and his poop also got firmer. It is not only very good vitamin wise for them it is great when they need to firm up their poops. I am so happy to hear that Bonny is improving and you are so right the support you get from this site helps so much. I really needed it and appreciated it so much when Croydon was on deaths door recently. Please keep us informed on Bonny's progress Anne and Croydon in OZ

jomarie6466
02-08-2015, 02:02 AM
I'm glad that the Flagyl helped with the diarrhea has improved and that Bonny is eating pumpkin and her appetite is improving. It does sound like the Prozac may have been the cause for the loss of appetite and Bonny being a little draggy and a bit off since she is doing better now that you are weaning her off of it. It's always hard to tell how a med will affect a dog and one dog may respond differently than another dog.

I hope your new place will be better for you all and that the move goes smoothly. It's probably a good idea to leave Bonny at the vet's when you move since she is comfortable there. I think the big thing will be to keep the same schedule at your new place and try to make things as routine as possible to help with the transition. The Traxadone may be a better choice of meds since you can use it on an as needed basis. I can't remember whether you have tried using Essential Oils on Bonny or not. I think I am going to try using the Lavender on Belle and see if it helps. I haven't taken her to the vet yet to discuss using meds on her for anxiety because I have been so busy with my other two fosters. Belle actually does pretty well at home unless I have a lot of visitors.

Carol G
02-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Thank you Anne & Diane.

Diane, how do you use essential oils for your dogs? I have a number of them that I use myself -- I always put lavender on my wrists before bed, and I mix others in water and mist them around the room or on bed linens or my clothes.

jomarie6466
02-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Carol,

You can put them on the back of a dog's ears and on the pads of their feet I believe. There is one called Peace and Calming that a friend of mine recommended. I am going to take Belle to TSC with me today and I am going to put lavender on her and see if it helps. Fingers crossed that it helps her.

Carol G
02-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Thank you Diane. I will be very interested in hearing how that goes with Belle today. I have a blend called "Chill Out" from Aura Cacia.

Carol

jomarie6466
02-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Belle is just too uncomfortable going to TSC so I am not going to take her again. She gets so nervous that she won't even take high value treats from me. When I was in line at the cash register some people came up behind us and Belle was pushing so hard against the back of my knees that she almost knocked me over. Poor girl just wants to be a homebody so that is where she can stay from now on.

Carol G
02-08-2015, 04:28 PM
You are doing the right thing by letting Belle be a homebody.

littleroads
02-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Carol, do you think one of these might help Bonny Zali?

http://www.calmingcollars.com/

Carol G
02-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Thanks Ei, I may give one of these a try.

Carol G
02-17-2015, 05:12 AM
Ei, I went ahead and ordered one. These seem kind of expensive to me (with priority mail shipping it was $39), but I am so concerned about how the move is going to impact Bonny that I felt I should give it a try. The reviews on their website were extremely positive (but then they would be). Anyhow, I'm hopeful. Thank you for the suggestion.

Carol

sharirus
02-17-2015, 11:56 AM
$39 does seem expensive, but if it works it will be worth every penny !

(maybe TheOneAndOnlyWay7's wife should branch out and start making these collars too)

Carol G
02-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Exactly. I don't even want to think about how much I've spent trying to help Bonny's anxiety. If this works, it will be a cheap solution, even if I replace it often.

The1AndOnlyWay7
02-18-2015, 09:57 AM

(maybe TheOneAndOnlyWay7's wife should branch out and start making these collars too)

Lol I will have to get with her and see if she could.

Carol G
02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
My experience ordering this has been good. I called to be sure I'd get it before the movers get here, and spoke with the owner. She makes each collar the day after they are ordered and ships that day or the next. I'm looking forward to trying this on Bonny Zali. I'm so very worried about the impact of the move on her.

littleroads
02-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Bonny Zali may be picking up on your anxiety about this move, so try to calm yourself as well.
What day will it be, so we can all send Bentleys?:)

Carol G
02-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh Ei, if only I knew how to calm myself down. I am doing what I know to do -- breathing exercises, meditating, Bach flower essences.

Thanks, for the Bentley offers. The packers are coming on 2/27 & the movers on 2/28.

I'm self employed, and, fortunately, I'm usually busy. But, just to complicate things, this is one of the busiest months ever for work.

I'm not complaining (it would be a sin, and bad luck to complain), and someone has to pay for the move :)

jomarie6466
02-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Ei is right. Our dogs do pick up on our moods and I think shy dogs may be even more sensitive. I hope the calming collar helps Bonny Zali and I will be interested to hear if it does. I'm glad that you have packers and movers to take care of things. We will have Bentleys shining and sending positive thoughts.

Carol G
02-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Some of my dogs have been very sensitive to my emotions, and I feel that Bonny likely is. Also, the general upheaval around here with the construction next door has been difficult for Bonny. This morning it was a trial getting her to poop because the construction guys from next door were being loud out in front of the house, then when we tried to go around the side of the house, there was heavy duty power tool noise. I felt sorry for her that she couldn't even poop in peace and quiet. Plus they've been painting, staining and varnishing outside, and the fumes have been horrendous. Thankfully, we will be away from this soon.

Thank you for the positive thoughts and Bentleys -- they are very much appreciated.

jomarie6466
02-19-2015, 12:34 AM
It will be better soon and then you and Bonny Zali can have peace and quiet.

b.limey
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Sorry I missed this but Boo`s Bentley is glowing for Bonny. Probably not relevant for your situation but I just started Boo on BCD oil. It`s a derivative of Marijuana and has had good results on humans and dogs. Primarily for joint issues but it also has a calming effect without getting you 'high." Again, probably not relevant but just thought I`d throw it in the mix.

Carol G
02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Probably not relevant for your situation but I just started Boo on BCD oil. It`s a derivative of Marijuana and has had good results on humans and dogs. Primarily for joint issues but it also has a calming effect without getting you 'high." Again, probably not relevant but just thought I`d throw it in the mix.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I could probably use some of that myself. Thank you Boo for the Bentley.