PDA

View Full Version : Binx went to the vet Today

Galaxy Blue
10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't know how many people know but before I fell in love with ACD's, I was in love with ferrets first. I rescued ferrets, and had four. Two of my ferrets have passed away already and I now only have two. I have a six year old female chocolate point female, and a four year old black eye white male. My male Binx, went to the vet today and it's not good. He was diagnosed with the Adrenal Gland disease, and also it gets worse. The vet tested his blood sugar because males who get this disease will also develop the Insulinoma, which causes dangerous levels of low blood sugar. Binx is already showing signs with difficulty using his back legs, and lethargy. But once he eats he feel a lot better. He ate a lot this morning so his blood sugar was up, so the vet wants him to get tested again in the next two weeks. There is a shot now for ferrets that helps both diseases and it will last a year. It's new on the market, but it's more successful than other treatments. We also talked about diet, and I knew what I was feeding him was the best kibble out there. I feed my ferrets Orijen. Willie my female ferret also has the adrenal glad disease, which she has been getting treatments every 6 months. She has made a full turn around and will probably live past 7 years old! I just hope Binx will live longer than 5 years old because my last male ferret shorty had the same adrenal and insulinoma disease and he only lived to 5 years old. :(

jomarie6466
10-31-2013, 12:50 PM
I hope the shot will help Binx. Is this disease common in ferrets?

Galaxy Blue
10-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes with ferrets that come from Ferret Mills (any pet store), it's very common. Inbreeding, spaying and neutering to early, lighting and diet in theory are the causing factors. Responsible breeders, is the only way to avoid both diseases. 3 out of my 4 has been diagnosed. It doesn't effect the females near as bad as males do. Females don't get insulinoma as often. I have uv natural light bulbs in my room to help make more natural lighting as well as feeding them a more wild diet.

badeggsalad
10-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Poor Binx. I'm sorry to hear this Bailey. I hope the shot helps him.

littleroads
10-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I moved this to the Bentleys Needed thread, because Binx surely could use some of the collective Bentley power of this forum. I don't know how long ferrets normally live, but I hope your Binx has much more time with you.

Carol G
10-31-2013, 11:37 PM
a Bentley from Bonny and strong positive thoughts from me for Binx

Carol