PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Karen Overall seminar in Melrose Park, IL - 8/13 & 8/14/11

ekornak
08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Thought I'd post this in case anyone in the IL area would be interested - at the moment there are still a few spaces available. I'll be there! Here's the info:

http://www.foryourk9.com/uploads/files/KO%20Seminar%202011(4).pdf

I've heard amazing things about Dr. Overall so I'm excited! :pawup:

jomarie6466
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
How did the seminar go?

ekornak
08-19-2011, 03:51 PM
It was amazing! So much information, my head hurt. It's actually a seminar she normally gives to vets but she's a big proponent of getting information out to owners and trainers also, so has seminars open to non-vets for that reason.

Learned about neurochemistry, how (dogs) learn at a molecular level, various drugs and what they affect in the brain/body, strategies & treatments, saw videos of several case studies.

If you ever have a chance to see her - GO! It made me look at my dog in a whole new light. I also have some new ideas to follow up with @ my vet's. My big take-home (other than all the biology) was that stressed or anxious dogs can really benefit from appropriate drugs and dosages. They allow the dog to relax and calm enough so the animal can learn and behavior modification is effective - you can't learn when you're stressed - only react (due to cortisol in the brain blocking protein transcription - if I understand this right!). And it is NOT EASY finding vets and vet behaviorists who know what they are doing with these drugs and are comfortable helping you find the right ones for your dog - but worth it if you can find one and stick with it.

If anyone wants copies of the articles I brought back, send me a PM and I'll scan and email them to you...