PDA

View Full Version : AuCaDo cookbook - volunteers needed!

littleroads
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
We are once again looking into an AuCaDo fundraiser cookbook!

www.cookbookprinter.com (http://www.cookbookprinter.com)

Check out the link, and let us know if this is something that you might be interested in working on to help ARF, our AuCaDo rescue fund, and AWDRI as well. We'd need someone to lead the project, and at least 2 or 3 more people to work on it with that person.

Our last cookbook was a success; those who purchased gave good reviews! And there have been requests for another, however, the folks involved in the last one have become very busy and haven't had the time to devote to it. We also had trouble finding affordable resources. But this place looks like it could work for us.

Just some thoughts - if we ordered 100 cookbooks (min) at $4.80 ea (for 150 recipes) and sold for $10 ea + shipping, it would cost around $500 for the project, and we would need to have 50 orders upfront in order to fund it. But at that price, for that amount, we could make a $500 profit for ARF and AWDRI.

Anyone willing to jump in & get your creative juices flowing??:D

badeggsalad
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh! I'll help!

:pawup:

That would be so much fun! I've been wondering if you guys were going to do this again. I'm a cooking fanatic. I absolutely love to cook & love cookbooks. I put together my family's collection of recipes from all the various branches into a big cookbook for a big family reunion a few years ago.

I'm not much of a graphic designer, though, so not sure if that would be a required skill. The cookbook I put together was pretty basic. But, I do have decent computer skills & some experience.

*Oh & count me in as a definite yes for at least one cookbook order.*

KAKZooKpr
08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I'll be in as an order for at least 2 cook books! ;)

Kristina

logan774
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't have anything great to contribute, but I'll definately buy at least 4!

littleroads
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
You wanna head it up, Carla? Lolly is willing to mentor, she was one of the team who worked on the last one - she doesn't have a lot of free time but is willing to give some advice and help where needed.

Need 2 or 3 more helpers.... ;)

littleroads
08-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Also - everybody start posting your recipes in the Cookbook section! The Cookbook Team will get to pick the 150 they want to put in the book!

Jake&Tex
08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
OK, I don't really know what work I'm signing myself up for LOL, but I'll be a helper.

badeggsalad
08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
You wanna head it up, Carla? Lolly is willing to mentor, she was one of the team who worked on the last one - she doesn't have a lot of free time but is willing to give some advice and help where needed.

Need 2 or 3 more helpers.... ;)

Sure, why not? I don't have kids yet, just the furry four legged kind. It'll be fun. But only 150 recipes? Oh, that will be so hard to choose.

*Edit* I just ordered their free information kit. Their website says it should get to me in 3-7 days, so hopefully it will be helpful. It's free, so what the heck!

lauralu
08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I volunteer my photoshop skills(?)!

FancyPantz
08-31-2010, 09:55 PM
I will certainly buy a cook book. I love cooking. I should look through some recipes I have and put them on the forum.

surfengine
08-31-2010, 10:30 PM
i'll buy 2 as long as theres a picture of a cattle dog on the cover.

i can contribute my famous jungle curry recipe.

noworriesjake
08-31-2010, 10:51 PM

This was the cover on the first one!

littleroads
08-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Lauralu does awesome photoshop work, as you can see from her posts. There WILL be ACD pictures!

autiger23
09-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Nice! I can help! I'm a pretty decent proof-reader and was yearbook editor in school (in case the layout stuff needs help). And I will happily toss in some great recipes. I have a recipe book that my friends and I made of our group's best recipes and my best friend made a cookbook of her Italian family's best recipes, so I have some real gems. :)

Mel2001
09-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I will help as an assistant/gopher! I was perusing the website, but didn't really understand how we get the recipes to the company. We either use their template, or handwrite them? I type about 90 wpm and am great at proofreading as well.

I have a few recipes to contribute, also. Many are taken from other cookbooks, but I've tweaked them. So, I'll give credit where credit is due as to the source.

Thanks for bringing the AuCaDo Cookbook back!

littleroads
09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
My first suggestion would be for all those who want to help, please pee-mail Carla (badeggsalad) with your regular e-mail addresses, and then she can contact you all off-list while you are working on it. Ideas welcome here too, but it might be easier for you all to work on it through e-mails.

RedDirtRoad
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I will start asking people if they would like to buy and see how many orders I can get =)

Dominique
09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I will be willing to buy 4 of them.

Dominique
09-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I also have some great recipes to contribute. I think Super Mel needs to give up her dragon bite recipe.

littleroads
09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Carla - one of the things to check for would be to find out if you can order more if you run out. We were thinking of the minimum of 100 to start with. We don't want to order too many and get stuck with them (although it looks like that might not happen), but it would be nice to be able to order more if they are needed!

badeggsalad
09-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Carla - one of the things to check for would be to find out if you can order more if you run out. We were thinking of the minimum of 100 to start with. We don't want to order too many and get stuck with them (although it looks like that might not happen), but it would be nice to be able to order more if they are needed!

I will definitley do this. I've done some exploring on their website & it looks to me like pretty much all we have to do is gather the recipes & type them into the Microsoft Word template they provide on the website & then send it all to them. The site says they proofread & do the layout, so unless we WANT to do our own layout, they'll do the formatting of the recipes, proofreading & page layout for us. It sounds like they really make it very easy for people to put a cookbook together.

I'm sure I'll have a better & more clear understanding of the process once I receive the information packet. I'm going to be out of town starting at the crack of dawn on Friday, so I'll probably be able to really dive into this when I get back on Monday.

Oh, & I'm very curious what Dom mentions as Mel's dragon bite recipe? That sounds very intriguing!

surfengine
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
type them into the Microsoft Word

word? ouch. is there any reason they dont accept *.pub files or something slightly more robust?

k9blueheeler
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll have to add some recipes this time round. We tried to get a cookbook up and running for the Cascade Cattle Dog Club. Not very many people were intrested. Maybe we'll try again. We should include a dog treat section also.

littleroads
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
There is a dog treat section included. :)

http://forums.aucado.us/showthread.php?57-Dog-Treats

sjmclain
09-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm so excited we're finally able to put out another cookbook! I don't think I have time to help with the graphics again, but I'd volunteer to be a copy editor if we want one. I'm kind of OCD about recipe writing and I actually enjoy doing it. So I can go through the recipes and make sure they're concise, clear, consistent in abbreviations, etc.

I also have some new recipes to add and I'm definitely in to buy several. :D

Oh, and Mel's Dragon Bites are in the first edition cookbook, but it looks like they may have to be included in this one too!

badeggsalad
09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh, and Mel's Dragon Bites are in the first edition cookbook, but it looks like they may have to be included in this one too!

Aha, so the recipe should be in the forum somewhere ,then, right? But what ARE they? So far no one's said yet..... Are the cookies? lol

surfengine
09-02-2010, 12:23 AM
i have photoshop CS5 extended, in case that is useful in someway shape or form.

Beth99
09-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I will definitely buy at least two cookbooks and probably have some recipes to contribute too.

littleroads
09-02-2010, 12:49 AM
I *think* (but not sure about this - Di??) that the original recipes were archived after the first book was published...

We don't want to publish a "duplicate" cookbook, so maybe one of you volunteers who has the old cookbook will have to go through the new one before publishing and make sure there are no duplicate recipes (EXCEPT FOR THE DRAGON BITES), LOL!

Belgrael
09-02-2010, 05:05 AM
I *think* (but not sure about this - Di??) that the original recipes were archived after the first book was published...

That's right Ei but I can bring them out again so the people who missed out on the first book can still access the recipes easily. It also means that the people involved can cross check to make sure that there are no dupes.

How does that sound?

littleroads
09-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Sounds good - maybe label the thread with the year, so we don't get them confused?

badeggsalad
09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds good - maybe label the thread with the year, so we don't get them confused?

I was wondering about this. I was exploring the cookbook section last night & it looks like the vast majority of the recipes in those threads date from around the time of the first cookbook's publication. I've been writing down ideas & was going to suggest new threads for the 2010 cookbook so there's less to wade through for the 2010 cookbook folks.

So, can we have new 2010 threads to which people can post their submissions, please? I looked & tried to see about starting 2010 threads, but apparently only mods maybe can do this?

Belgrael
09-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I've moved the old recipes forums back to the Cookbook forum so you can see the old ones now.

http://forums.aucado.us/forumdisplay.php?57-2007-Recipes

Those in the Cookbook threads now have been posted since the first book was published, even though they're old, they're still unpublished so far so can be used in the new cookbook.

badeggsalad
09-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I've moved the old recipes forums back to the Cookbook forum so you can see the old ones now.

http://forums.aucado.us/forumdisplay.php?57-2007-Recipes

Those in the Cookbook threads now have been posted since the first book was published, even though they're old, they're still unpublished so far so can be used in the new cookbook.

Thanks Belgrael! That's very helpful! I thought the recipes in the cookbook threads WERE the old ones, so it's good to know that they're not & can be pulled from. Thanks!

TherapyDogMom
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a Taste of Home Magazine field editor. I'll help. I can type, too <grin> I'm a retired Certified Professional Secretary. I can proofread, etc. Not good with photos, tho.

I can donate some recipes.

And I'll order a cookbook.

Linda
(and Cody and Jake and Skye and Ace)

littleroads
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey - just wondering how plans are going for the cookbook? Carla? Has everyone contacted Carla via e-mail or pee-mail who wanted to volunteer?

noworriesjake
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Dragon Bites are a meat recipe (can be made with steak, pork, chicken or shrimp) and they are always a hit at every cookout or party.

badeggsalad
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey everybody! I just got the information package from the printing company yesterday. I'm guessing the holiday weekend over Labor Day probably slowed down the sending & arrival of the package. I read through it yesterday & am getting ready to send a mass e-mail to everybody who has volunteered to help to get started on the cookbook.

One thing we need, though, is for people to post some recipes!!!!! I have been organizing a list of my favorites to post & get it started & I know that Belgrael said the ones that are in the non-archive threads for 2008 are okay to use, too. But I thought it might be fun for the folks who weren't around during the time of the first cookbook & in 2008 to post recipes too.

I'll likely be starting a thread here before too long to get it rolling! And I do have lots of questions for some key people, likely Eileen regarding options & costs for the cookbook.

sjmclain
09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Thumbnails of the custom dividers I made for the '07 cookbook. Appetizers and Drinks has always been my fave. :)

littleroads
09-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I love my 2007 cookbook. Can't wait for another one! I'm so excited to see this finally get rolling! :pawup: