PDA

View Full Version : Josie Jo Bear

jomarie6466
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
On a beautiful summer day in June of 1989 I drove my daughter to 4-H Horsemanship Camp where she would be spending the week. As I pulled in the driveway I noticed that the garage door was pulled halfway down and when I pulled the door up there in a wire crate sat the most adorable puppy in the world. Her face was almost all black with a narrow white mark running down the front of her face. Her body was a smoky grey with a black spot on her side and another black spot around the base of her tail. I fell head over heels in love with her at first sight and that was the beginning of a wonderful 14 yr relationship. Josie probably wasn't a pure bred ACD, but I didn't care because she had the best disposition in the world and was my soul dog. She went to horse shows, parades, 4-H fairs, and on numerous trail rides with me. She was my velcro dog and was always by my side. She slept in my bed, layed in the hall while I was in the shower and protected me in her quiet, unassuming way. She comforted me through every rough spot in the road. The years seemed to fly by and before I knew it I could see subtle changes in her. She was slowing down and could no longer jump up on the bed so she slept on her dog bed next to my bed. In the evenings she would make her little "trek" across the road behind my neighbor's house sniffing and poking around in the field. I always watched for her to come back because I knew her eye sight and hearing were getting bad. When she developed some physical problems I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with Cushing's disease and due to kidney and liver failure I had to make the hardest decision ever. She was put to sleep under the big tree in the back yard where she loved to lay in nice weather. She is buried in the pasture on her bed with a copy of "The Rainbow Bridge" so that she will know to look for me when the time comes. Every night when I go to sleep I look at her picture and tell her that I love her and miss her. Someday maybe I will be lucky enough to find another dog like my sweet Josie Jo Bear. Her picture is my avatar.

lauralu
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
:010105k_crying: Josie was a beautiful girl! How lucky that you had one another. It is never long enough, is it?

sierrasuenos
04-13-2007, 07:01 PM
What a beautiful story Diane. I love her avatar picture. It is true that we do not have enough time with our babies. But their memory and unconditional love stays with us for ever. I still kiss Yoda's picture every morning and night, and I probably will forever. Thanks for sharing this story, it was wonderful.

dickmar
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Diane that was a beautiful story about Josie Jo Bear, it brought tears to my eyes. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/dickmar2/CoolHeart.gif

Lolly
04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you for sharing Josie's story. What a great pair you two were -and still are as I'm sure her being in your life is part of who you are today. Hugs & kisses to my fur kids tonight will be in honor of Jo Bear!

jomarie6466
04-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Thank you all. After I re-read her story I realized that I had omitted a sentence. A friend of mine bought her at a horse show he was at in West Virginia and put her in my garage. I found her after I had driven my dughter to camp. Best $20 I have ever spent! I still cry and it has been almost 4 yrs. :cry: