PDA

View Full Version : Car cover

b.limey
02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I need a back seat car cover which is washable, for a Kia Rio. Doctors Foster and Smith list them for $70/$80 bucks. I can`t afford that. Boo rubs his body all over that back seat and the only way I can get the hair off is with Duck Tape. Takes me forever.
Gill and the hairy, forever shedding Boo.

EJA
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Look at a fabric store like Joann's for Fleece comes in many, many colors. Is completely washable, and drys in no time at all. If you can get the seat forward a bit, it will stuff down behind and then Boo can rub to his heart's content.

This is the stuff that EVERY bed, couch, chair and dog bed is covered with at our house. I have enough that when one is in the washer there is another one covering the bed, couch, chair or dog bed. Sometimes it's on sale for 50% off. Wonderful stuff. Nice to have as a light weight cover or lap robe, too.

k9blueheeler
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I just use sheets or the Costco throw beds. They do a good job of keeping the hair off the back seat. I still have to vaccum my car out about once a month. I run 3 dogs and hair still gets around. It's not as bad with the seats covered and 2 ride in crates which collects the loose hair.

b.limey
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Tried Joanns, what snotty people." We don`t have fleece, we`re a "quilting" store... and we don`t have the measurements you want in any other material." Heard of scissors? Ok then, give me one of those lovely hand-made quilts off that wall for my dog to rub his dirty hairy butt on instead. Well, excuse me.( I didn`t say that, of course.) Went to Goodwill and got the perfect thing, exact size for 2 bucks.
Gill.

mlanger
06-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Tried Joanns, what snotty people." We don`t have fleece, we`re a "quilting" store... and we don`t have the measurements you want in any other material." Heard of scissors? Ok then, give me one of those lovely hand-made quilts for my dog to rub his dirty hairy butt on instead. Well excuse me, stick your quilting needles where the sun don`t shine. ( I didn`t say that.) Went to Goodwill and got the perfect thing, exact size for 2 bucks.
Gill.

Un believable! JoAnns is stuffed ceiling to floor with fleece, tons of fleece
polar fleece, antipill fleece...in every color and pattern you could want.

A latex glove (like a Dr or nurse would wear) put one on and rub the seat it will roll all the hair up lickety split.

b.limey
06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Get outta here, I have a mega-box of latex gloves in my cupboard, never use them except when I have to stick my hand into...never mind. Testing tomorrow.
Gill.

ekornak
06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I have one of those backseat hammock things from Duluth Trading Co - got on sale online....doesn't look like it's on sale now but worth checking every now and again. I think I got it for around $20? It's AWESOME. I use it with seat belt harnesses and love it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/32006.aspx?feature=product_2&kw=carcover&processor=content

Maybe somewhere else online would have something like it on sale...?

Beth99
06-10-2010, 12:47 AM
This may sound like a wierd suggestion, but inexpensive horse saddle blankets (navajo's) really work great as seat covers. We have used them in the back seats in our trucks for years, we put them both on the seat and on the seat back. You can get them in colors to match the interior of your car, they last a really long time and are easy to wash.

These are thin, but have a tight weave they run about $13.00 each, and can be found here (http://www.smithbrothers.com/ranger-2000-saddle-blanket-by-mayatex/p/X3-1975/cn/1558/), you would probably need two blankets.
http://www.mayatex.com/system/0000/1026/1320_copy_visitor.png?1224010296

It won't work for all seats, but to get them to stay on the seat back, if there are no headrests, we just fold them over the back of the seat. If there are headrests, we lift the headrest, put the blanket on the seat and then put the headrest down all the way. You can still use the seatbelts easily too.

They also make good crate blankets and used felt saddle pads make great crate pads for the larger crates. Once our navajos and saddle pads are too worn out to use on our horses, they get washed and go to the dogs, so to speak.

b.limey
06-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Love the blankets and of course being in Arizona, not far from the Navajo reservation, there are several swap-meets that sell them. will check`em out.
Gill.

havekissedfrogs
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Went to Goodwill and got the perfect thing, exact size for 2 bucks.
Gill.
I have found lots of useful stuff at thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army. Crates, dog bed, furminator, dog dishes, leashes. It does take a lot of time to keep looking, b/c they don't always have what you need, but if you have more time than money, it's the way to go!

b.limey
06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Went to the swap-mart today, saw the blankets, 2 for $19. Thought them too nice for him to wipe his butt on so didn`t buy them. The latex glove worked well but after a couple of minutes of vigorous rubbbing I thought mt fingers were going to self-combust.
( I bought Boo a VERY hard soccer-type ball instead, for $6. I thought there`s no way he`d burst it. Lasted 5 seconds. Humph! )
Gill and Boo.