PDA

View Full Version : Herding Instinct Testing

lucystrauss
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Have any of you had your dogs tested for herding instinct? I have the opportunity to take Lucy somewhere this weekend for a test, so I'm considering it just for fun. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences doing this, and what I should expect/bring, etc.

:biggrin2::paw:

2speckledblue
06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, I took both my dogs to be tested (informally) during a herding fun day. Don't take a leash that you like because it will get dragged through sheep poo, etc. Basic obedience is important. One of my dogs was interested and we are taking lessons now; the other one wasn't. In my case, the herding instructor went in with me and my dog after a briefing on what to expect. At least, that's how it was for me. Some tests are different and you go in with your dog with no help. Or there is someone to take your dog in if you don't know what to do.

lucystrauss
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Sounds like fun. Thanks for the tip on the leash!! :)
I think I'll take her!

competitivek9s
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Go for it Lucy! You'll love it! I've done it with both my dogs, and if it were closer I'd take them regularily for lessons ;) It's amazing to watch the ones that have the instinct do what they were literally born to do !

lucystrauss
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, I took Lucy today and she passed :)

She kept driving at the sheep (there were 4) but the woman said she has excellent potential for herding training. Being in the city makes it a little harder to get into this sport, but I'm thinking of teaching her some of the commands and trying her with sheep a few more times.

I on the other hand was afraid of the sheep....they kept charging at me! lol

2speckledblue
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Good for Lucy. I bet she had a blast. When I go herding with Roo, the sheep are always squeezing me in between them or stepping on my feet.

competitivek9s
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Congrats! Actually, driving at the sheep is exactly what an ACD should do the first time, they were bred to drive cattle :) Don't worry, she'll get the hang of it! :)

lucystrauss
06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
unfortunately, this was the best picture I got...I was too busy dodging sheep :p

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/kweenshaker/IMG_0382.jpg