PDA

View Full Version : The Serenity Prayer

Lolly
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I thought this was posted on here already so was going to bump it up, but I couldn't find it. This is not meant to be a religious post - even if you are not a religious person, the general message is comforting, especially the first verse. Some days, I repeat that part to myself over and over again.

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Amen.

Beth99
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
I have always loved that prayer, thanks for posting it! It's especially good to remember in rescue!

lauralu
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Me too and here is my other favorite, the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi, who also happens to be the patron Saint of animals.

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

Ringtailroxy
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
i'm going to admit these prayers are beautiful...

a poetry of the spirit, of faith...

i'm atheist enough to disagree with the belief, human enough to appreciate it, and intelligent enough to accept & embrace the subtle differences that separate & unite us all.

here's my favorite "prayers". I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

The Animal's Prayer

Hear our humble prayer, O God,
for our friends the animals,
especially for animals who are suffering;
for animals that are overworked,
underfed and cruelly treated;
for all wistful creatures in captivity
that beat their wings against bars;
for any that are hunted or lost or deserted
or frightened or hungry;
for all that must be put death.
We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity,
and for those who deal with them
we ask a heart of compassion
and gentle hands and kindly words.
Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals,
and so to share the blessings of the merciful.

Author - Albert Schweitzer

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your words fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, For you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should yours be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms and skilled hands. Grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest. I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Anonymous

i carry this one on a small card in my wallet at all times.

ringtailroxy

Belgrael
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
i'm atheist enough to disagree with the belief, human enough to appreciate it, and intelligent enough to accept & embrace the subtle differences that separate & unite us all.

Beautifully stated for those of us who are not religious. May I have your permission to use your words in describing my own stance?

Ringtailroxy
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
absolutely! i'm more of a secular humanist, with strong atheist tendencies. we all have our own way we have found to exist; we have all found what 'works' for us. i am never obtusely offended by anyone's individual beliefs...

i am offended by those whom think that "In God We Trust" should be on american currency, and the line "one nation, under God" in our national anthem (i prefer "one nation, united")

i am offended by those who think that public schools should teach creationism in schools, yet don't think schools should teach sex ed. (both lessons should be taught at home...)

ahem. i'm way off topic. prayers are good. they allow us to give voice to our concerns to the cosmos... whether they fall on a deity's ears or not is of no concern to me. what matters is the human emotion or relief it gives the individual who utters them.

roxanne

p.s. i watch Trinity Broadcast Network form time to time to be entertained and laugh... not in mirth, but in amazement. well, maybe a little mirth.

Beth99
01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I got this in a rescue email today.

~ I Need A Hero ~
Bering Strait

Who will rescue my heart?
Who will save my soul?
Who will give me strength?
Fill my cup with hope?

Who will light my way?
Take me through the night?
Who will hear my voice?
Hold me when I cry?

I could use a sunrise, I could use a rainbow;
Someone on a white horse, I could use a hero.

I could use an angel to guard against the shadows;
I could use a strong heart, I could use a hero.

Is there a dream waiting for me?
Is that too much to ask?

cgwolf5
01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Though not a prayer, I love this one that our foster director has as her signature on her emails:

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter ... the castoffs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal,
and I was angry.
I said "God, this is terrible. Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment and then spoke softly.
"I have done something," was the reply.
" I created you!"
~Jim Willis

havekissedfrogs
01-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Though not a prayer, I love this one that our foster director has as her signature on her emails:

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter ... the castoffs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal,
and I was angry.
I said "God, this is terrible. Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment and then spoke softly.
"I have done something," was the reply.
" I created you!"
~Jim Willis
I love this one, too! It brings tears to my eyes.