View Poll Results: What is your favourite activity?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Good Old Fashioned Game of Fetch

40 36.36%
  • Frisbee/Flying Disk

21 19.09%
  • Agility

17 15.45%
  • Flyball

1 0.91%
  • Weight Pulling

1 0.91%
  • Schutzhund

1 0.91%
  • Obedience

17 15.45%
  • Herding

10 9.09%
  • Conformation

7 6.36%
  • Hiking/Camping

37 33.64%
  • Sharing Your Comfy Couch Together =)

30 27.27%
  • Going Swimming

24 21.82%
  • Doing their job, whatever it may be.

9 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What is your favourite Activity?

Default What is your favourite Activity?

What is the most enjoyable thing you do with your dog/s?
    Di, Bud, Nimble, Pudding, Tricky and Spook (and my Chippy at the Rainbow Bridge )

Founder/Director - Australian Working Dog Rescue Int (AWDRI)

Default Re: What is your favourite Activity?

Would Lizard and Sparrow patrol qualify as herding? Ruby's job is to save us from these perilous creatures and keep the yard safe. This takes up many hours of her day, especially if she gets to go to the back yard and patrol the wood pile. After such strenuous work, she sometimes has the energy for a few rounds of "Throw the Squeaky."

Then, there is guile and planning involved in trying to get let out just before Mom and Dad crash and not dragged back in, so she can hide under the porch all night and be on the alert for skunks and pigs.

For some reason, Mom and Dad aren't as cuddly after a successful skunk offensive, which is why Ruby now stays in side at night.

3. This post is liked by:

Working isn't on the list, but Annie lives to work. OK, so the end result of working is playing with the ball, but we all need a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by K9Annie View Post
    Working isn't on the list, but Annie lives to work. OK, so the end result of working is playing with the ball, but we all need a paycheck.
    I've added another option
    Di, Bud, Nimble, Pudding, Tricky and Spook (and my Chippy at the Rainbow Bridge )

Founder/Director - Australian Working Dog Rescue Int (AWDRI)

But grapes are toxic to dogs, they are a poison, aren't they?
    >>
    Subject: Dog Poison If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do. Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, Ohio This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. Confirmation from Snopes about the above... http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp <<

So, does anyone know of a definitive list of bad foods for dogs? I've heard garlic is bad, but then saw it in a treat recipe. I've heard tomatoes are bad, but also that tomatoes are not bad. Of course, I know chocolate and grapes are bad.

I should probably just make Keenah stick with doggie food and treats, but I am such a sucker for those eyes.... So it would be good to know if whatever is going to kill her or not!!
    Jacque, Josh, :110104smile_71: Keenah and Ty
    (and baby Kiah
    )

I keep getting lists of things not to feed dogs, and mostly think, upon reading them, "why would you even try to?"

But Ruby loves tomatoes which should be a no no (I rarely, but do, give her the heel end after I slice one), and dread ever finding out that carrots are bad for dogs, as that is her favorite extra special treat that she will lay down and gnaw at, using her almost opposable dewclaw as a thumb to hold up right.

Then again, my mom smoked and drank bourbon while she was pregnant with me, and I turned out all right. Guess we are just sturdier than our 4 legged kids........

Molly likes laying around on the couch now or going for a walk. She liked playing with her toys when she was younger & chasing the squirrels.

Chance LOVES to play ball & likes frisbee.

Indy LOVES Frisbee!! Also loves to play ball & when he's outside runs around with a ball in his mouth.

Baxter lives to play ball!! Can't get enough of it.

AuCaDo Member

Greetings from the Hot Central Valley
    My girls love to herd what little we know however Lola is recuperating from surgery. So it's do nothing for her but Kate does her jobs. Like patroling the backyard for birds or cats, giving kisses and annoying my dad's dog Molly.

Miss Marlie, Kate and Lola

Going to the dog park to play fetch the ball! Everyone there is always impressed with Tallulah's ability and endurance. She never wants to stop, except to roll in a mud puddle. And this is a dog that was hopping around on 3 legs when I adopted her, and had surgery just over a year ago. No one would ever guess that now!
    You may never know what results come from your action, but if you do nothing, there will be no results. - Gandhi
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.".....Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

I was told that garlic helps prevent fleas? I also heard avacado was bad for dogs. I feed Molly carrots and broccoli all the time, she loves them so I hope they aren't bad.

As for activities, with Molly we like agility and with Chief we like frisbee, and for our daily activity we play ball. Chief especially likes when we throw it on the roof and he catches it on the way down. Molly forgets about it as soon as it is out of site.

AuCaDo Member

Quote Originally Posted by nlper999 View Post
    But grapes are toxic to dogs, they are a poison, aren't they?
    >>
    Subject: Dog Poison If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do. Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, Ohio This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. Confirmation from Snopes about the above... http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp <<
    One of the first dogs in the UK to die from raisins belonged to a friend of mine. The vet had never heard of them being toxic at that time some years ago, so treatment was delayed and the end result.....tragic.
    Another friend's dog ate a whole slab of raisin flapjack - stolen from a cupboard - and was extremely poorly, at death's door. She recovered but has permanent kidney damage and has to have a special diet for the rest of her life.
    It's a massive danger for some dogs.

Default Re: What is your favourite Activity? nono foods

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...s&story_no=257

Other potential dangers Top Avocado (all parts) - the toxic ingredient in avocado is called persin (toxic amount unknown). Mmost documented cases of poisoning have been in livestock that have eaten all parts of the avocado and in large amounts. The toxin may be confined to the leaves, bark, skin or seed but the flesh is thought to be poisonous to birds.
    Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
    Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
    Rhubarb leaves
    Mouldy/spoiled foods (keep garbage lid firmly on)
    Alcohol
    Yeast dough
    Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
    Hops (used in home brewing)
    Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
    Broccoli (in large amounts)
    Raisins and grapes
    Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars
    Xylitol (sweetener often found in sugar-free gum)
    Cooked bones - they can splinter and cause gut perforation, as well as blockages in the intestine, tooth fractures, and cooked chop bones can get stuck across the roof of the mouth
    Corn cobs - a common cause of intestinal blockage requiring surgical removal

Francie, Blaze and Oscar