Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445

Thread: Cattledog Sightings

Default Re: Cattledog Sightings

I love the bottle brush tails! Brumby had one.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Best of Breed winner at Westminster today--Crossfire's Crash My Party aka Luke. A red with a black face mask--not something you see in the show ring very often!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...14159188595194
    https://www.facebook.com/11415918859...type=3&theater
    Here is video of the breed judging: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...cd-2018-video/

Quite a few of those dogs have the "I don't really know what's going on, but OK..." look on their faces.
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

3. This post is liked by:

Thank you! They all are sure much more stocky than Titan, and a bit more stocky than Bandito. Very few masked ones too.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

This is cool! I wish I'd seen it on TV. I don't think cattle dogs have won much of anything - ever - at Westminster, so this is pretty impressive!!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy (Golden Retriever - ACD Wannabe)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

AuCaDo Member

Well, there's always an ACD group judging, which is what Luke won, but it's true, no ACD has ever won the Herding Group at Westminster, let alone advanced to Best in Show.

One thing that made me happy about this judge's picks was that he--pointedly, I think--bucked the trend by only rewarding the moderate dogs, skipping over the ultra-blocky-stocky types that seem to be dominating in show ACDs lately. Those dogs tend to have a noticeably stiff carriage and gait, with very straight hips, and when you watch them move it's hard to believe they could pivot as quickly and smoothly as an ACD must be able to when working cattle. I wondered, actually, if Luke, who was probably the most traditional-looking of the judge's picks in terms of conformation, was somewhat of an "in spite of" choice. As in, yes, a red with a black mask might be undesirable or non-"type-y" as far as that goes, but functionally sound structure matters more in a working breed, and this dog was the best of the bunch for making a timely statement about what good sound ACD structure should look like.

7. 2 Users Like this:

Thanks so much for posting that! Agreed there were so many stocky ones in the group.
    Jen
    Mom to
    Austin, Rosie, Bear & Ruby;

Sydney, Tucker, Max & Boomer (at the Bridge)

Red heeler-looking dog in a recent Subaru commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_h6...A23B2B49A23137

10. 2 Users Like this:

Suburu is a really dog-friendly company.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

AuCaDo Member

We're getting a Crosstrek next Friday! Can't wait! It's the first car we've ever bought new, which feels like a real extravagance, but we didn't like the way the older years handled (jerky acceleration) and the car did seem perfect for us otherwise. Our 24-year-old Camry still runs fine for now, but is really showing its age structurally (brittle handles that snap off, leaky moonroof, etc.) and we just don't trust it for roadtrips anymore. Looking forward to a car that can handle some mud and ruts when we need to get to some trailhead way out in the boonies...

I wish there was a built-in dog harness option, but given how much dogs vary in size I guess that's probably impossible. A few times I've offered to take friends with dogs hiking with me and Luna, but none of them had harnesses for their dogs; they just let them clamber freely around in the backseat, which I can't see working out well with Luna buckled in. If only there was a good one-size-fits-all backup out there, I'd happily buy it and keep it in our car...

A cattle dog appears as a partner character in the newest edition of the Far Cry (Far Cry 5) video game franchise.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/color...hinchillamouse

AuCaDo Member

This cattle dog is an honorary police dog after keeping his 3 year old safe overnight during a rainstorm. And he's 17!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...n-bush/9683494

15. This post is liked by:

We're getting a Crosstrek next Friday! Can't wait! It's the first car we've ever bought new, which feels like a real extravagance, but we didn't like the way the older years handled (jerky acceleration) and the car did seem perfect for us otherwise. Our 24-year-old Camry still runs fine for now, but is really showing its age structurally (brittle handles that snap off, leaky moonroof, etc.) and we just don't trust it for roadtrips anymore. Looking forward to a car that can handle some mud and ruts when we need to get to some trailhead way out in the boonies...

I wish there was a built-in dog harness option, but given how much dogs vary in size I guess that's probably impossible. A few times I've offered to take friends with dogs hiking with me and Luna, but none of them had harnesses for their dogs; they just let them clamber freely around in the backseat, which I can't see working out well with Luna buckled in. If only there was a good one-size-fits-all backup out there, I'd happily buy it and keep it in our car...
    Zelig - how is the new car working out for you? I don't know of any universal harnesses either, but it would be nice if they could figure out an easily adjustable one! We've had Ford Explorers for about 20 years now, but I think I'd like to get a Jeep the next time I need a car. I like Subaru's, but my husband is 6'4" and has trouble getting into smaller cars these days.

A cattle dog appears as a partner character in the newest edition of the Far Cry (Far Cry 5) video game franchise.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/color...hinchillamouse
    Lee - not so sure what I think about this. A nice crime-fighting ACD is good. But for me personally, the blood-and-guts stuff...nope.
    Eileen

AuCaDo Member

We're loving the car so far, though we haven't yet had a chance to do any "backcountry" driving with it; that'll have to wait until summer. But it handles well, a pleasure to drive, and Luna looks great strapped into the backseat. The only small gripe I personally have with it (which I was aware of before we got it) is that the rear-side visibility isn't all that great IMO; it does have a rear vision camera for backing up, but personally I'd prefer to have BOTH that and excellent all-around visibility. But, nothing we looked at it "had it all." We did consider a Jeep, since they're the best for off-road conditions, but they aren't the greatest for everyday city and highway driving, and don't really have the best rep for reliability either, so they weren't the right fit for our needs. The Crosstrek is a good buy considering its versatility, features, and overall ratings, so that was appealing to us. One other thing I'd note about Subarus in general, since this was the single most common gripe we saw with them in reviews, is that if you're looking for a car with lots o' giddyup when accelerating, this is not the maker for you. That wasn't a priority for us, though.

Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post
    Lee - not so sure what I think about this. A nice crime-fighting ACD is good. But for me personally, the blood-and-guts stuff...nope.
    I have no idea whether the game's creator literally meant the dog to be taken as an ACD, but, what I noticed watching that trailer on the presumption that it was--was, that dog is HUGE in proportion to the bad guys he's taking down! Like, giant-breed huge. A pretty far cry from the reality of an actual ACD doing actual protection training...but, it's a dystopian fantasy game after all, so...

On Reddit I've seen several people post stills of some obviously-made-up, fantastical-looking(-and-acting) animated dog from some game and earnestly ask "What breed is this dog? I want one just like it." Also a thread created by someone who participates in real-life "re-enactments" of some kind of Dungeons-and-Dragons-type game where the characters ride around on dogs and wanted to know "What are some breeds suitable for riding we should look into?" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post
    Zelig - how is the new car working out for you? I don't know of any universal harnesses either, but it would be nice if they could figure out an easily adjustable one! We've had Ford Explorers for about 20 years now, but I think I'd like to get a Jeep the next time I need a car. I like Subaru's, but my husband is 6'4" and has trouble getting into smaller cars these days.

I've always felt that with few exceptions, Jeeps are some of the worst-engineered cars sold in America (I believe that they pretty much only sell on the nameplate and outdoorsy image). Remember how the Ford Pinto had the joke reputation for spontaneously lighting on fire when rear-ended? At least 44 people have died in Jeeps in similar circumstances from what I've read, and if I recall correctly they didn't even end up recalling all the cars NHTSA requested of them. A few years ago, I couldn't help but notice that there were quite a few more stalled cars during rush hour holding up traffic in the city on my commute - they were almost all Jeeps.

We're loving the car so far, though we haven't yet had a chance to do any "backcountry" driving with it; that'll have to wait until summer. But it handles well, a pleasure to drive, and Luna looks great strapped into the backseat. The only small gripe I personally have with it (which I was aware of before we got it) is that the rear-side visibility isn't all that great IMO; it does have a rear vision camera for backing up, but personally I'd prefer to have BOTH that and excellent all-around visibility. But, nothing we looked at it "had it all." We did consider a Jeep, since they're the best for off-road conditions, but they aren't the greatest for everyday city and highway driving, and don't really have the best rep for reliability either, so they weren't the right fit for our needs. The Crosstrek is a good buy considering its versatility, features, and overall ratings, so that was appealing to us. One other thing I'd note about Subarus in general, since this was the single most common gripe we saw with them in reviews, is that if you're looking for a car with lots o' giddyup when accelerating, this is not the maker for you. That wasn't a priority for us, though.

On Reddit I've seen several people post stills of some obviously-made-up, fantastical-looking(-and-acting) animated dog from some game and earnestly ask "What breed is this dog? I want one just like it." Also a thread created by someone who participates in real-life "re-enactments" of some kind of Dungeons-and-Dragons-type game where the characters ride around on dogs and wanted to know "What are some breeds suitable for riding we should look into?" lol.
    It's been my opinion that Subarus have relatively sensitive accelerator pedals, and as a result, to the average driver they perform quite reasonably around town because they're rev-happy despite the NA engines not producing a ton of power. I'd further argue that you can purchase a Subaru with more than sufficient "giddyup when accelerating", you just have to buy a WRX or WRX STi (and contend with the bro-driver image). If that's not enough, the EJ257 in the WRX STi can be modified (some reinforcement, piston replacement, and a larger aftermarket turbo) to produce in excess of 500hp on E85. I will say that I considered purchasing an STi a while back.

19. This post is liked by:

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445