Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445

Thread: Cattledog Sightings

Default Re: Cattledog Sightings

I love the bottle brush tails! Brumby had one.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Best of Breed winner at Westminster today--Crossfire's Crash My Party aka Luke. A red with a black face mask--not something you see in the show ring very often!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...14159188595194
    https://www.facebook.com/11415918859...type=3&theater
    Here is video of the breed judging: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...cd-2018-video/

Quite a few of those dogs have the "I don't really know what's going on, but OK..." look on their faces.
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

Thank you! They all are sure much more stocky than Titan, and a bit more stocky than Bandito. Very few masked ones too.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

This is cool! I wish I'd seen it on TV. I don't think cattle dogs have won much of anything - ever - at Westminster, so this is pretty impressive!!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy (Golden Retriever - ACD Wannabe)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

AuCaDo Member

Well, there's always an ACD group judging, which is what Luke won, but it's true, no ACD has ever won the Herding Group at Westminster, let alone advanced to Best in Show.

One thing that made me happy about this judge's picks was that he--pointedly, I think--bucked the trend by only rewarding the moderate dogs, skipping over the ultra-blocky-stocky types that seem to be dominating in show ACDs lately. Those dogs tend to have a noticeably stiff carriage and gait, with very straight hips, and when you watch them move it's hard to believe they could pivot as quickly and smoothly as an ACD must be able to when working cattle. I wondered, actually, if Luke, who was probably the most traditional-looking of the judge's picks in terms of conformation, was somewhat of an "in spite of" choice. As in, yes, a red with a black mask might be undesirable or non-"type-y" as far as that goes, but functionally sound structure matters more in a working breed, and this dog was the best of the bunch for making a timely statement about what good sound ACD structure should look like.

6. 2 Users Like this:

Thanks so much for posting that! Agreed there were so many stocky ones in the group.
    Jen
    Mom to
    Austin, Rosie, Bear & Ruby;

Sydney, Tucker, Max & Boomer (at the Bridge)

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445