Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: Cattledog Sightings

Default Re: Cattledog Sightings

Good article....the part where they say " These families love their dogs but struggle to make the relationship work due to compatibility issues. " really strikes close to home.

I sure don't understand the mentality of people buying rabbits at Easter or giving people pets for presents. What are they thinking ? ! ?

Another fun Jumpy video. He obviously learns because he loves it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6p-_Z_PrI
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy (Golden Retriever - ACD Wannabe)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

AuCaDo Veteran

This is a very positive clip, the ACD is just a bit player but if you have time to watch it through, it is worth it. Where I grew up ACDs or "Heelers" are often farm dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/OzarkRegion...sqUdA8&fref=nf

scroll down to the post that starts:
    Though dwindling, family farms have made the Ozarks what they are: a special place for families and their loved ones.

We are extremely proud and humbled to share this story about a farm that is giving hope to the future of family farming.

AuCaDo Member

I also get worried about cattle dogs being popularized as Jumpy gets more and more attention. And then I wonder how much it helps to tell people how smart, how active, and how spirited they are. Doesn't everyone want to think they are smart and athletic? What better way to signal that you are than by having a dog everyone knows is smart!

Maybe telling people they take two years to house train would be more effective

5. This post is liked by:

I always emphasize that they are NOT for everyone...

Since we got Dixie Moonpie, my friends have come to realize that very fact...
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post
    I always emphasize that they are NOT for everyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post

Since we got Dixie Moonpie, my friends have come to realize that very fact...

I've been thinking a lot about Dixie Moonpie and wonder how she is doing ....we haven't heard any stories for a long time ...is she calming down ?
    ( I just told the story to someone when Dixie took the pizza right out of the oven lol ...we had a good laugh )

AuCaDo Member

In my area we've been seeing a noticeable increase lately in Huskies at shelters, due to the impression made by the Husky-like crossbreeds (Northern Inuit Dogs) featured on Game of Thrones. I read that in the UK, shelters are reporting a 700% increase in Huskies due to the popularity of that show.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Jumpy's primary breeds (BC and ACD) in the AKC registrations rankings archives. ACDs were recognized by the AKC in 1980, and have gradually but steadily increased from the 81st most registered breed (out of 177) to the 54th since that time. BCs were recognized in 1995 and their registrations have skyrocketed since then, from 139th to 38th today (I bet all those "What's the smartest dog breed?!?" articles have something to do with that). Petfinder currently lists 2611 purported ACD/mixes and 2652 purported BC/mixes in shelters and rescues. Of course, for both breeds, AKC-registered dogs are just a subset of the total purebred population, and probably a quarter of those purported ACD or BC mixes on Petfinder don't even have said breed in them, but simply happen to be ticked shortcoats or longcoat blacks with white trim, so someone just ran with that label. Still, those figures are interesting to me because they suggest how regional shelter demographics can be; 2611 and 2652 are substantial numbers, yet BCs/BC mixes are rare in our local shelters, and Luna's mom and her pups were the first (and to date still the only) ACDs/ACD mixes I've ever seen in local shelters. In general Shelties, GSDs and Aussies are the popular herding breeds out here. We don't see many Chihuahuas/Chi mixes in local shelters either...yet 13,078 listed on Petfinder, wow.

Pitties are still hands-down the most widespread example of how we collectively fail our dogs as a society though...

I've been thinking a lot about Dixie Moonpie and wonder how she is doing ....we haven't heard any stories for a long time ...is she calming down ?
    ( I just told the story to someone when Dixie took the pizza right out of the oven lol ...we had a good laugh )
    YES, thank goodness, she is finally calming down - some. She will be 3 on Christmas Day. She is still extremely high energy, and if not exercised will get the zoomies and run around the house at 90mph - that still cracks me up! But she is a great walking buddy and does very well on a leash. She follows my husband around EVERYWHERE - definitely has elected him her king. She still gets into a few things here and there and will "rearrange" things within her reach. But the only thing she has chewed up recently (& continues to chew up) is TwoLane's old memory foam bed - I still find chunks of foam in random places, but at least she is not eating it. We kept the bed for Rody, who is almost 14 now and she likes her soft bed, for sure. Dixie still does pester the living daylights out of Rody, wanting her to play. Rody is having none of it though, and keeps trying to put Dixie in her place - which the Moonpie totally ignores.

Yes - ohhhh, the stories...the pizza, the casserole, chewing up my new phone, chewing up the chairs, the bedspread, biting the lawnmower tires (which she also still does)...I have a whole album of "documented mischief". She is definitely a "once in a lifetime" dog - thank dogness!!

Zelig - cattle dogs are becoming a little more common around here; for about the first 10 years that I had Allentine and Rody Jane, I never saw another one. Now they're popping up here and there. But there are far more of them in shelters in the southern and western states than up here in the midwest. Over the many years I was more involved in rescue, it broke my heart to get lists and lists every day of ACDs and mixes in shelters in those places.

Here, there are more mutts in shelters, but still lots of small mop-dogs, shepherds, and pits and pit mixes. That also breaks my heart.

I was happy to read in Bark magazine that California has now passed a law that pet stores there can no longer sell dogs from commercial breeders (i.e. puppy millers), and that dogs sold in pet stores must be from shelters and rescues, with documented proof. Commercial breeders can still sell on their own, and I have nothing against good, reputable breeders! But making it harder for puppy millers to "sell their wares" hopefully will put a crimp in those operations. For many years Wisconsin had a large number of puppy mills (mostly Amish), but I think slowly, they are starting to go out of business. I've been seeing more of them close down in recent years. Hopefully education is helping!
    Eileen

Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

11. This post is liked by:

That is so cute ! It looks like my dog when we're driving. She is always shifting her weight around ( she even gets ready when she hears me put on the turn signal ...so smart ).

Speaking of weight....River is now called the Sausage. We have not been feeding her any more food than before but in the last year she has really filled out and the other day I couldn't even lift her into the truck (sore leg)....that was one the the criteria for our new dog. One I could lift.
    I never expected River to be so big (maybe 70-80 lbs). No fat at all just very, very sturdy.

Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

Oh my goodness! These are great! Kind of reminded me when I had baby goats, one of them would ride our neighbor's horse...

That second is most definitely "up close and personal"!! I moved back from the screen just a bit when I watched it!

Shari - wow, that is a good-size cattle dog! Allen got up to 49# at one point, and I thought he was "hefty".
    Eileen

AuCaDo Member

70-80 pounds?! That's like 20 pounds more than Luna! Do you know how tall River is at the withers?

AuCaDo Member

Mostly an interesting and rather sad story about what it's like to be an Animal Control officer in a rural area with little funding available for the job, but the officer's ACD sidekick "Hoss" makes an appearance in a couple photos and gets several mentions in the text.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/b...185983618.html

budget cuts forced the office to eliminate 10 positions, including one of the animal control officer jobs. The other animal control officer took another post within the agency, leaving Thomas to patrol the 10,000 square miles of Sweetwater County alone a jurisdiction larger than the states of Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

The loss of the job hasn't necessarily meant more work for Thomas, however. While she still responds to every animal-related call, the budget cuts mean she can't bring all the strays into the shelter. The sheriff's office has to pay to care for every animal its staff brings to the animal shelters in Rock Springs or Green River. The money's simply not there.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344