Thread: Pumpkin fiber for constipation

AuCaDo Member

Default Pumpkin fiber for constipation

How much pumpkin should you add to dog food for constipation per pound of dog? Our ACD is 38lbs.

Default Re: Pumpkin fiber for constipation

I'd start small. You don't want explosive diarrhea. Start with a Tablespoon and give it two days then up it a bit. I feed my dogs veggies...carrots, the snapped ends of asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. They love all of it and I'm sure it keeps them regular.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

AuCaDo Member

Thanks for the info. Our ACD is a picky eater. Canít get him to eat carrots. But he does like pumpkin. I stsrted him on 1 table spoon yesterday and now on a day. I found a Vet website that advised 1-4 tbsp a day. Iíll continue with two and see how it goes. He has a bum every couple days and looks to be straining a bit and the stool is rather firm. So the system is open and working but slow. Will continue with the pumpkin, bran etc. and work on keeping him well hydrated. Other than that he seems quite comfortable and happy.

So wonderful to hear Rocky seems comfortable and happy !

We regularly (tee hee!) give our dogs two tablespoons of canned pumpkin in their dinners, maybe 3-4 times a week. They like it, and it's a healthy filler. Glad it seems to be working for your pup!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

I've taught all my dogs to like veggies for the most part. I munch on them, right in front of them, smacking my lips alot and saying mmmmmm...they get the hint.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Dixie will eat any vegetable, as long as it's cooked. Rody turns up her nose at anything that even remotely resembles a veggie (except the pumpkin!).
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

AuCaDo Member

Well things are finally moving right along. Not sure if itís that heís finally adjusted to his new surroundings or it it was the pumpkin. He gets two heaping tablespoons each morning. Heíll have one or two BMs a day and urinates usually twice. He really had us concerned. Before he would urinate once every second or third day. He could easily have come close to filling a pint container. Now he gets so excited about taking care of business - jumping and running all around. TOO Funny!

9. 4 Users Like this:

So, so glad things are working out for you...thanks for the update

So glad this is working out for you! It was most likely a combination of the two things you mentioned - a change in surroundings and schedule, and the fiber (or lack thereof). Whoo hooo!!
    Eileen

Peace and Ziva get a whole can of pumpkin in their food as filler most days. No diarrhea issues.
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

AuCaDo Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by leesam View Post
    Peace and Ziva get a whole can of pumpkin in their food as filler most days. No diarrhea issues.
    At first I thought wow, that is a lot, but I then realized Ginny probably get a little less than that, but close. She loves it--the main purpose is filler for her too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol G View Post
    At first I thought wow, that is a lot, but I then realized Ginny probably get a little less than that, but close. She loves it--the main purpose is filler for her too.
    It's really not that much - one ~16oz can for two meals divided by two dogs doesn't mean a ton each time.
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr