Thread: House breaking - What's new?

AuCaDo Member

Default House breaking - What's new?

I'm new to this site and new to ACIds. I'm having trouble with house breaking our new ACD. I'm training him or should I say trying to train him to "go" in a specific place in our back yard. I praise him a lot and give him a treat when he uses the "potty park". If he gives elsewhere he gets no praise and no treat. I take him to his park numerous tie yes a day with generally no success. This includes first thing in the morning, after he eats, drinks water and after he wakes up. We've been doing this for about a month. He is our 10th dog and this procedure has always worked. We had to take our Maggie that we've had for twelve years to the vet to be euthanized right after Christmas. She is missed greatly!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: House breaking - What's new?

First of all, I am sorry for your loss of Maggie. It is so hard to lose a dog of any age.

How old is your new dog? What is his background? Does he have accidents in the house? Or does he just go elsewhere in your yard?
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Hello and welcome to the forum. So sad to hear about Maggie. That is so hard and I wish I could give you a real hug instead of a virtual one.

I remember trying to get my ACD to potty in the same spot when I was housebreaking her and it was a fail too.
    I hope all of us here can come up with some advice to help you with your problem and help you with anything else related to puppyhood.

Is this your first ACD ?

I have been thinking about your predicament today and thought that maybe your new ACD is territorial and wants to potty in "His" place.

Maybe you can redo the Potty Park with new soil and things that smell like your ACD ?

I was going to suggest also, putting some of his poop in the area you want him to go, and also maybe something that he has peed on, so he gets the idea of where *his* territory should be. Otherwise, you are doing everything right, praise, praise, praise when he goes where he is supposed to, but don't yell - just ignore, when he goes somewhere else.

Again, can you answer the questions I asked in the first response? That might help us gauge a little bit better what's going on...
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

AuCaDo Member

Thank you all for your condolences. Concerning Rocky - we have no idea on his age or background. He is a gentle boy but very prey driven. He likes to chase the local coyotes. Luckily we were able to get him back. He is no longer allowed to run loose on our property as the coyotes run in packs.

Back to housebreaking and his potty park (pp). I walk him by previously locations he has blessed and hurry him off to the pp when he seems interested in voiding and when he finishes in the pp I highly praise him and reward him with a treat. If he hadn’t voided himself for a while he isn’t allowed to run free in the house. If he’s voided recently he can run loose in the house however he is closely watched and ordered to lay down close to us which he really does on his own. I’ve yet to identify what his signal to us is for having the urge “to go”. It’s been a while ,a couple of weeks, since he’s gone in the house. He sleeps on his bed next to my side of the bed and has never gone during the night. Other than the pp problem and taking off after any wildlife and ignoring commands to “come”. I’m really worried about the prey instinct. We have bobcat, oppossim, raccoon, deer, mountain lion and the ever present coyotes. He wouldn’t last on his own.

Hope I've answered all your questions. Almost forgot - I put a post in the pp and smeared it with the sand he’s voided on. Also I’ve tried two different brands of spray “Go Here” and “Potty Here”. Both were worthless.

AuCaDo Member

I forgot to mention we’ve had him for four to six weeks an he’s going to the Vet tomorrow for a complete chech-up andshots. Lots of questions for the Vet!

Can you try hanging bells on your doorknob, and train him to ring the bell when he has to go out? It worked for our Dixie. I just bought a cheap lanyard from the dollar store, attached a split ring to it, and hung two jingle bells on the split ring - knotted the lanyard to fit to where it was a good height for her paw, and then we rang that bell every time she went outside. It didn't take long before she figured out how to ring it herself, and now she lets us know when she has to go.

It sounds like you've made some pretty good progress so far! Let us know what your vet says. Write all of your questions down so you don't forget anything.
    Eileen

AuCaDo Member

Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post
    Can you try hanging bells on your doorknob, and train him to ring the bell when he has to go out? It worked for our Dixie. I just bought a cheap lanyard from the dollar store, attached a split ring to it, and hung two jingle bells on the split ring - knotted the lanyard to fit to where it was a good height for her paw, and then we rang that bell every time she went outside. It didn't take long before she figured out how to ring it herself, and now she lets us know when she has to go.

It sounds like you've made some pretty good progress so far! Let us know what your vet says. Write all of your questions down so you don't forget anything.

Well we made it to the Vet. He got a lean bill of health. Vet said he’s in great shape. He had a complete physical. The Vet took a guess on his age and placed it at 5-7 years. In the 46 years of our marriage Rocky we’ll be our tenth dog. They’ve all been trained at home by me and we’re perfect gentlemen and ladies with no bad habits. It’s interesting how each dog has a different way of letting you know it’s time to “take care of business”. Our last dog,Maggie, would swat the fireplace tools. She was a rack up! we had her for over 12 wonderful years. We’re still trying to figure out Rocky

10. This post is liked by:

We’re still trying to figure out Rocky
    That may never happen. Just sayin'...
    Eileen