Thread: Sling For Front Leg?

AuCaDo Member

Default Sling For Front Leg?

Have any of y'all ever made a sling to keep a dog off a front leg for a couple of days?
    I think Kate has injured a toe and I want to keep her off of it for two or three days for observation.
    I've been trying to come up with a design. So far, the internet is no help.
    I'm guessing it will need to old er leg up close to her body.

Any thoughts?
    Trip, Blue Heeler, adopted May 2013, born Feb 2013
    Kate, Red Heeler, adopted Apr. 2010, born July 2009
    Merlin, Siamese, 1997 to 2015

Default Re: Sling For Front Leg?

Hate to say it, but probably the best thing is crate rest, or confine in a small carpeted room. I don't know of any sling that would hold a cattledog's front leg up, and just about anything you would fashion, they would find a way to take off.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy (Golden Retriever - ACD Wannabe)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

How is she doing today? Were you able to figure out what's wrong with the paw? Split nail? Are there foxtails where you live, where she might have gotten one stuck in her paw?
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

AuCaDo Member

I have a few suspicions, but no evidence. Two weeks ago she was chasing a ball and stepped on a piece of pipe. Since then, she'll limp for a day or two, then seem okay for a day.
    But then, she'll see a squirrel and its full speed for 50 or 60 yards. She'll return on three legs.
    When it first happened, I gave her paw and leg a thorough check. The pain seemed localized in the outer middle toe of her left front paw. I even managed to shave the toe. There's no visible damage, no swelling, and I can't feel any differences between that toe and the others. I can even apply pressure (pushing in, pulling out) when she's not limping without her reacting in pain.
    So I'm just gonna keep her leashed for a week and see. If she pulled something or injured a tendon or even has a stress fracture, a week of taking it easy should show a marked improvement.
    Trip, Blue Heeler, adopted May 2013, born Feb 2013
    Kate, Red Heeler, adopted Apr. 2010, born July 2009
    Merlin, Siamese, 1997 to 2015

5. This post is liked by:

Fingers crossed that she will be ok. Maybe it is a soft-tissue injury that you wouldn't be able to feel. Keep us posted, please!
    Eileen