Thread: What can you tell bout this ACD?

AuCaDo Member

Default What can you tell bout this ACD?

Our local shelter: http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Aus...e-Dog-34353380

What do you read in this dog? His stray days are over and he is available as of today. Does a gentle face point to a lower drive?

Default Re: What can you tell bout this ACD?

Expressions in a photo can draw a person to an animal, but may or may not be accurate as to true personality. Your best bet would be to go and do a meet and greet, see how he responds to you, see if you can take him for a walk and if there is a connection there...

Also, have you had another ACD, or researched the breed? Do you have other pets that he would need to get along with? Cattle dogs can be great dogs, but they are not for everyone. They need a job to do, and an owner who is committed and consistent to their care and training. Like any dog, they can be high-drivey or couch potato, each has their own personality, but it is usually a strong one! At 4 years old, this guy is past the puppy stage, which can be a plus for a new owner. But he may have some habits that are also ingrained; so you need to be flexible, and as I said, willing to put in the time and effort for training.

Tell us more about your situation, and ask lots of questions! If this guy has stolen your heart, then I hope he will have a good home with you. We're glad you're here, and hope we can be of help in your decision.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

3. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Member

I have a 3 year old working line female GSD; stable, obedient and intense. Gest along well with male dogs. Kinda suspicious of female dogs but still OK. I offer private pet dog training, nothing fancy and have been doing this for more than 20 years. I know the breed from studying them, have seen several at clients where they had a pretty calm life and it seemed to work.

AuCaDo Member

While he does look to have a relaxed and accepting expression in their adoption pic, that's only one moment in time, so as littleroads said, if you're seriously considering an ACD and like his looks, you should go meet him, and if you like what you find, definitely bring your GSD in to meet him too.

He's probably a mix of breed-typical and not-so-typical traits, like most purebred dogs, but in general I'd think anyone experienced with working-line GSDs would find owning and handling an ACD quite doable. There are some pretty big differences, though. While ACDs learn new skills and tricks just as quickly as any other high-octane herder, they're typically distinctly less biddable than GSDs/BCs/Aussies--more resistant to doing things they don't want to do (or to stopping doing things they do want to do), harder to redirect when something rivets them (especially if it engages their mouths), etc. They're usually even more deeply attached to their people than most GSDs are, velcro dogs in the extreme who want to keep ultra-close tabs on you at all times, but they're also typically more wary with strangers, swiftly effecting a hard glare and a "don't even think about it, punk" demeanor compared to the GSD's wait-and-see reserve. (Most are open to growing their social circle with your encouragement, though.) Many of them are not good at all with children. It's important to test them with other dogs before putting them together--quite a few ACDs are just as skeptical of other dogs as they are of human strangers, though they'll often make exceptions for dogs they share a territory with. They're typically quite high-energy, fervent believers in "work hard play hard"--great hiking/jogging/camping dogs, a bit more geared towards stamina work whereas most GSDs are more geared towards episodic intensity, which makes sense given the very different kinds of herding scenarios they were respectively bred for. Statistically, a shelter ACD of unknown pedigree is probably a better bet than most shelter purebreds, in that the breed overall is relatively free from serious inherited medical and behavioral issues, but obviously there are never guarantees.

Are you mostly just looking for a second companion who'd enjoy casual activities with you and your GSD, or do you have other needs/ambitions for your possible second dog?

AuCaDo Member

I like to start back in agility. Had to take a break due to a leg issue (me). My dogs mainly are with me most of the time in a combination of, play, search for 'things', hikes and down time. My GSD has a great off button so I am kinda worried to stir things up in the house with an ACD. I don't know them that well in that regard. E.g. do they enjoy playing and rough housing? That is her favorite thing with dogs; chase and been chased.
    By the way: could he have some other breed in him? He looks pretty purebred to me.

AuCaDo Veteran

He is a very nice looking boy. He looks all ACD to me too. In my experience ACDs really like to play and rough house. I hope this works out.

He looks pretty purebred to me, too. ACDs generally excel at agility! I hope he gets along with your GSD. Neutered is helpful.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

AuCaDo Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol G View Post
    He is a very nice looking boy. He looks all ACD to me too. In my experience ACDs really like to play and rough house. I hope this works out.
    Is rough housing and playing an acceptable outlet for an ACD? Or is real work their priority? How are they being left alone/crated? Sometimes my dogs have to be alone for a few hours a day. Sorry about all the questions. In the meantime he sits there and someone else can scoop him up at any time.

Between Ei and zelig they covered the bases regarding the importance of meeting the ACD and seeing how he responds to you, what they need as far as consistency and training, and basic differences between an ACD and a GSD. Especially the fact that a lot of ACD's aren't as biddable as a GSD. They can be stubborn in regards to wanting to do things "their" way, smart as all get out, attach to "their" person quickly, and have enough stamina to wear you out. If you get an ACD that is ball or Frisbee driven they will want to play until they drop or you do, whichever comes first. Several ACD's together could destroy a room with their rough housing.

The ACD in the pic does look purebred and like Ei said, they can excel at agility. They also do well at flyball, rally and my foster dog shows a lot of promise at Barn Hunt. If you are a stubborn person you will get along with an ACD because they can truly test your patience. Or, you can find the rare, calm, laid back ACD who gets along with everybody and is bomb proof. My first ACD who was a mix was the sweetest, calmest dog ever. The next one, not so much and my current foster dog and Ei's Moonpie are hyper as all get out.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your meet and greet goes with this ACD. He does look calm in the picture, but he could also be shell shocked being in a shelter and unsure of what is going to happen. But, he looks like a nice boy.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

AuCaDo Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACDquest View Post
    Is rough housing and playing an acceptable outlet for an ACD? Or is real work their priority? How are they being left alone/crated? Sometimes my dogs have to be alone for a few hours a day.
    Lots of play with a fellow high-energy herder will go a long way, but there should also be daily structured activity, whether that's something more formal like training for a sport or just a good walk/run/hike with you. Just like with most GSDs, "mental workouts" like nosework and trick-training will also really help to drain the batteries, although I suspect most ACDs have a somewhat proportionally higher baseline need for raw physical exertion relative to mental exertion than most GSDs do--again, they're a bit more about stamina and grit and ever-readiness; overall energy levels are probably very similar, but the two breeds tend to expend it a little differently.

A few hours a day alone should be fine for an adult ACD who's getting regular physical and mental activity. As with GSDs, there are plenty of ACD owners out there who work full-time and still have happy well-adjusted dogs because they've got a good late afternoon/evening routine with their dog in place, and have learned the most time-effective ways to satisfy their dog's need for activity and a project.

AuCaDo Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ACDquest View Post
    Is rough housing and playing an acceptable outlet for an ACD? Or is real work their priority? How are they being left alone/crated? Sometimes my dogs have to be alone for a few hours a day. Sorry about all the questions. In the meantime he sits there and someone else can scoop him up at any time.
    I think for Cattle Dogs, real work can be a lot of things including agility. Diane mentioned a few other options. I would say that the number of Cattle Dogs working stock is is far less than the number of ACDs who are family dogs. Most of us have needed to find ways to tire out our pups. I toss holey roller balls or frisbees for my girl several times a day. Many Cattle Dogs are left home for several hours each day.

13. This post is liked by:

My cattle dogs were all crate-trained, and they stayed in their crates (until trusted) during the 8 hours I was at work. Mostly they slept, as their crate is their "den". A few hours a day should not be a problem unless the dog doesn't like to be crated.

Go check him out. You have an advantage being a dog trainer, and doing some research on the breed.
    Eileen

Before I retired from my full time job, my ACD's were crated while I was at work and there was no problem. I still work part time and even the foster pup does fine crated for 5 hrs or so. Never be afraid to ask questions! It is the person who doesn't research this breed before getting one who finds them with a dog that doesn't fit their lifestyle. I am getting ready to start mat training my foster dog so that should be interesting. It will definitely be a workout for him to stay in one place for more than a minute, lol.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

16. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Member

Thank you all so much, your information has been very helpful. When the roads clear, I may go and take a look at him with my GSD. I wish I could take him on a foster bases but it is adoption only.

Quote Originally Posted by jomarie6466 View Post
    It will definitely be a workout for him to stay in one place for more than a minute, lol.
    Tee-hee. I can surely relate.
    Eileen

19. This post is liked by:

Doesn't look like a mix to me. Looks nice tho...Let us know what you find out!
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.