Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old man TwoLane

Default Old man TwoLane

Our golden retriever, TwoLane, is now a little over 13-1/2. He's mostly blind and deaf now, and gets confused and anxious at times, and his back legs don't work so well. He has bad allergies, and a couple of slow-growing tumors, but he's been holding his own for about the last 6 months or so. Tonight, I noticed a pretty good-size lump under his right eye. Could be a bee sting; he seems rather sensitive to touch to it, but it could be another tumor too. And seeing that it's on his face, and I didn't notice it this morning, could be that it's a fast-growing cancerous tumor. We'll keep an eye on it the next few days, and I gave him a Rimadyl and a Benedryl tonight, but I'm thinking we're getting pretty close to the end here. He has been the sweetest dog ever, a dumped puppy my husband found in Kentucky when he was about 6 weeks old. So glad he came home to live with us. He's been the best dog.

I would appreciate Bentleys (TwoLane even has a small one), that he doesn't have a lot of pain, and that when his time comes, I'll be able to be strong enough to get him through it. He's my husband's dog - always has been, and I hope that both of us will be able to be with TwoLane when he passes.

Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Default Re: Old man TwoLane

River's Bentley is full on high for TwoLane.

Three Bentleys on high and sending prayers and positive thoughts for TwoLane and you and Rick. TwoLane has had a long, wonderful life with your family, but it is never long enough. Letting go is the hardest part and it never gets any easier.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

AuCaDo Member

Finn's Bentley is glowing. I've been through this too many times. 3 dogs that lived to be 14-15 (Chessie, Malamute, and Sheltie). Now I have Finn at 2-1/2. He's aging me faster than the other 3 combined. Two-lane is a beauty.

Bentleys here for TwoLane! He looks like a sweet old man and I pray that when the times comes it is peaceful.

Bentleys for TwoLane. He's his Daddy's pup and even when his life is over, he'll still be the one your DH will have loved the most. Precious times.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

7. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Member

Ah I never noticed the mini-Bentley before, how precious. He is such a noble-looking dog. Hoping for a peaceful final chapter with the lights of his life there with him to the end.

WELL. I took TwoLane to the vet and had him thoroughly checked out...he has an abcessed tooth! The tumors he has on his legs (two of them now), are smallish, localized sarcomas. The vet thinks he may die of something else before those get bad enough to incapacitate him. He has a very slight heart murmur, but the vet thinks he is well enough to put under anesthesia long enough to pull the tooth. We have an appointment on Monday, the 17th. Looks like Old Man TwoLane will be with us for a while longer.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

10. 4 Users Like this:

Oh good. Well, of course not good that he has the abscess, but explains the swelling in that area and sensitivity, and they can remove it. Of course let us know how it goes on the 17th.
    Jen
    Mom to
    Austin, Rosie, Bear & Ruby;

Sydney, Tucker, Max & Boomer (at the Bridge)

12. This post is liked by:

So glad that it is just an abscessed tooth and not anything more serious. I will be sending prayers and positive thoughts on the 17th for TwoLane.

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

14. This post is liked by:

So glad you and your husband get to spend more time with TwoLane.
    My thoughts have been with you and am so thankful that you have shared the news about TwoLane having an infected tooth. I will be thinking and sending positive thoughts your way that TwoLane's experience waiting to have the tooth removed and the process having it done will go smoothly.

16. 2 Users Like this:

Good to hear that he doesn't have more serious issues. If you'd take a piece of unsolicited advice, I'd recommend you take lots of pictures and movies of him while he is still with you.
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

18. 2 Users Like this:

Eileen, I am so relieved it wasn't a tumour and that you have some more time with him. He is such a lovely dog. Our boy, Bud, is getting to that stage also with a tumour of some sort on his lip plus lumps on his chest/abdomen. We had 2 malignant lumps removed from his butt and his rear flank last year but he's still kicking on. Hearing and eyesight very diminished and his rear end is getting weaker and weaker but he still loves his food and getting outside for a walk down the back of the property. He did a big road trip to Melbourne with us recently for the show but he was very stiff and sore after the return trip so I'll be limiting his trips in the car going forward. He turns 16 on 8th November.

14725485_10154160989884022_5410308497667541829_n.jpg
    14595629_10154160991509022_2392254946637633737_n.jpg
    14695329_10154160990404022_1704515874058435342_n.jpg
    14374782_10209264684987480_1280848894_o (Small).jpg
    Di, Bud, Nimble, Pudding, Tricky and Spook (and my Chippy at the Rainbow Bridge )

Founder/Director - Australian Working Dog Rescue Int (AWDRI)

20. This post is liked by:

Wow! Bud is still with us! If I remember correctly, he's a mix with Border Collie?

I found an old cattle dog a week ago, and after calling numbers on her tag, her Dad came to get her. She was 18.5 years old!!!
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

22. This post is liked by:

WOW, still on walkabout at 18.5!!

And Lee, yes, I am taking a lot more photos (& a few videos) than usual. I know his end is coming in the not-too-distant future, and want a good many photos to remember him by.
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by babswilde View Post
    Wow! Bud is still with us! If I remember correctly, he's a mix with Border Collie?
    Barbara, he is kelpie x cattle dog and I jinxed myself by writing this post
    Wed night 6 hours after typing this Bud had a massive seizure and stroke and we had to take him to the vet and say goodbye. We are absolutely gutted and heartbroken. I can't even express how much of a hole he has left in our lives.
    I'll type up a separate post in tribute.
    Di, Bud, Nimble, Pudding, Tricky and Spook (and my Chippy at the Rainbow Bridge )

Founder/Director - Australian Working Dog Rescue Int (AWDRI)

25. This post is liked by:

So TwoLane had his surgery today. They extracted two teeth - the big molar on top, they said was cracked and infected, and was one of the worst they'd ever seen. When I saw the x-rays, there was a hole right through the whole tooth, and the vet said that it had to have been very painful for him. The lower tooth was just loose and had a small chip out of it, so they took that one too. He had surgery at 10:00 this morning and was done by noon, and is home now and sleeping. He's pretty loopy, and has not been able to walk very well, and he did pee on himself before we could get him outside. I imagine we will have a few accidents before he feels better. But, he did eat a full supper and took his painkillers and antibiotics like a good boy. I'm thinking he will sleep good tonight. Our old man, we love him. I'll try to post the x-ray tomorrow after they send them to me.
    Eileen

AuCaDo Veteran

That is good news! Sounds like he is doing very well. He will feel better once the extraction sites heals -- actually probably already feels better.
    Last edited by Carol G; 10-18-2016 at 01:02 AM.

So glad that everything went well for TwoLane's surgery. Continued prayers for a smooth recovery.

He slept well overnight (woke up only once), and ate a good breakfast this morning, hamburger and rice for a week until the incision heals. He has dissolvable stitches. He's a little wobbly yet, but more like the "normal wobbly" (for him) and he went outside and down the porch steps on his own this morning, so hopefully most of the anesthetic has worn off by now.
    Eileen

30. 3 Users Like this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast