Thread: Bentleys for TwoLane

Default Bentleys for TwoLane

I was brushing TwoLane, our 13-year-old golden retriever and ACD Wannabe (he does have a Bentley) tonight, and found a lump, a bit smaller than a golfball, but still very prominent, on his upper left front leg. It's not rock-hard, but not as squishy as other lipomas he has, and it doesn't seem to move. It doesn't bother him if I touch him there or poke at it a bit, so I don't know whether it will end up to be cancer or not. All the dogs go in for their yearly checkup next Saturday, so I will ask them to aspirate it then.

TwoLane is my husband's heart dog, and they have been joined at the hip since Rick brought him home from Kentucky at 6 weeks old. He was a highway dumpee, and despite all of his severe allergies and hip dysplasia, for which he had two FHO's years ago, he has been the absolute sweetest dog ever. We know he has already outlived many goldens, and that they are prone to cancer. We have been so lucky to have this sweet dog in our lives for so long. If it is cancer, we will make him as comfortable as possible for whatever time he has. But of course I am hoping, as all of us do, that we have more time, because it truly is never enough. It's just been in the past year that his vision has started to deteriorate, and we think he has a little doggy dementia now as he will bark at seemingly nothing sometimes, and sometimes can't decide what room he wants to be in, or whether he wants to be inside or out...and he sleeps a lot. But so far, he's not showing any signs that it's time to go. So please shine those Bentleys for our dear TwoLane that either it's not cancer, or if it is, that he goes as painlessly as possible, and that we will know when it is time.

16_01-04TwoLane2.jpg
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

2. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Veteran

Default Re: Bentleys for TwoLane

A Bentley shining from here and strong positive thoughts for TwoLane.

4. This post is liked by:

3 Bentleys glowing brightly here for TwoLane. As our dogs get older it gets harder to watch them age and have problems. We wish we could turn the clock back and have them stay young and healthy forever. Hopefully, it is not cancer and you and Rick have more time with TwoLane.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

I checked the lump again this morning, and it is not attached to the bone. Maybe it was just the way he was sitting yesterday...So I am a little more hopeful today.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

7. 3 Users Like this:

Bentley on high here for TwoLane.

Bentleys from Titan and Bandito. Titan had a lump on his foot. I watched it for several months and then had the Dr take it off. Luckily it was not wound in and amoungst the foot structure and came back benign. I'm sure that will be for TwoLane too.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Bentleys from TN. I hope all turns out well. Lumps are scary things in both the canine and human world. Hugs.
    Laura
    Doggy Mom to Zoey,Slick and Gypsy May(found as a stray but here to stay)

11. This post is liked by:

Eileen,
    We have certainly had our fair share of lumps and bumps here lately, so please know that you have three more Bentleys shining brightly for TwoLane from my crew.
    Jen
    Mom to
    Austin, Rosie, Bear & Ruby;

Sydney, Tucker, Max & Boomer (at the Bridge)

13. This post is liked by:

Bentleys for Two-Lane from Nash & Ginger, especially that the lump is benign.

Our GSP, Pepper, had a HUGE lump in his chest cavity. He lived a good 5-6 years with it. By the time the vet caught it, it was too late to remove, as the cavity from surgically removing it would have constantly filled with fluids and need to be drained. So, vet recommended leaving the lump as-is. So, one of Pep's nicknames became "Lumpy." It never bothered him unless he tried to sit or sleep on that side.
    Melissa, Pack Mom to ACDs Nash & Ginger (aka Super Size & Fun Size), with GSPs Lilly & Pepper at the Bridge.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I took Gypsy back today for her proheart shot, and while there, the doc examined where her lump was last month. Nothing. She couldn't even find where she thought it was. I hope your ending is as happy. Hugs. Thinking about you.
    Laura
    Doggy Mom to Zoey,Slick and Gypsy May(found as a stray but here to stay)

We took the dogs for their checkups yesterday, and I had them aspirate the new lump that TwoLane has. It came back with "suspicious abnormal cells, likely cancer". The vet said it bled when he inserted the needle, and that it may be a localized tumor, but if it spreads it would likely go to the lungs. It may have already, as there are times when TwoLane will be laying down and panting hard, even though he hasn't exercised. Treatment at this point would be either taking a biopsy and removing the lump, or letting things take their course. We are inclined to do the latter. TwoLane is 13+ years old and getting more fragile. His back legs give out often as he doesn't have hips due to the two FHO's he had when he was younger. Compromising a third leg would make it very difficult for him to get around. He is in no pain right now, and as active as an old dog with his issues can be at this point. We may have an x-ray taken of his lungs to see if it has already spread, but either way, the outcome will most likely be the same. We will keep him as comfortable as we can until he tells us it's time to go.

Rody Jane needs a dental and has a slab fracture in a molar that will need to be removed. I'll call and make an appointment for her this week. Our bill for yesterday for all 3 dogs was 920+ (we picked up heartworm preventative and TwoLane's allergy pills as well), and the dental/tooth extraction will be another $490. Thank doG we have a tax refund of $1000 coming. Easy come, easy go.
    Eileen

AuCaDo Veteran

I'm so sorry to hear this, but will keep the Bentley shining and positive thoughts that it is nothing. Considering TwoLane's back leg problems, I agree that compromising one of the front legs will make it very difficult for him. With Bonny's back end problems, it is much more difficult for her when the arthritis in her front leg is flaring up.

I know exactly what you mean with the vet costs.

18. This post is liked by:

River's Bentley is still shining bright for TwoLane and hugs and positive thoughts are still on high from me.

3 Bentleys shining and positive thoughts that you still have some good time left with TwoLane. I know you will do the best for him. It is a good thing you have a tax refund coming to help with the vet bills. I know keeping your dogs healthy is important to you.
    Last edited by jomarie6466; 03-22-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

The vet called me today; he was able to send in the aspirate, and had the experts determine that the tumor is a low-grade sarcoma that should be slow-growing, and not too prone to spreading. He will be sending me an estimate for surgery to remove the tumor, but he also said that given his age and the possible compromise of the 3rd leg, he still may not be a good candidate for surgery. If it is slow-growing and somewhat localized, at least for now, probably the best option is just to keep an eye on it and make sure he is not in any pain (which he isn't currently).
    Eileen

22. 2 Users Like this:

That is good news that it is a slow growing sarcoma. And good that he isn't in pain. I would do the same as you and just keep an eye on it since surgery might mean TwoLane would have more trouble getting around. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

24. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Veteran

I'm glad that it is slow growing and isn't causing problems/pain. Will keep the Bentley shining and positive thoughts that this continues to be the case.

26. This post is liked by: