Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Tooth

Default Broken Tooth

Just noticed that River has a broken tooth :-(

It's a small tooth on the the bottom front teeth and it looks like about 1/3 of it has broken off on an angle.
    It doesn't seem to be hurting her but I would guess that this is something that needs to be attended to and I will make an appointment to see the Vet in the morning.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this so I can be more prepared when we go to the Vet ?

Thanks

Default Re: Broken Tooth

One of my foster dogs had to have 3 teeth pulled which had been broken somehow. She was put under, the teeth were pulled and she did fine. Hopefully, River's tooth will be ok since it isn't broken off too far down. Not sure if they file them to take off sharp edges.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

Never had experience with that. I think that Allentine may have broken off just a wee bit of one of his canines, but it never bothered him, and we never did anything about it. But you don't want a broken tooth to wear down to the nerve, so best it be looked at. Let us know what your vet suggests.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

4. This post is liked by:

Ziva chipped both of her "main chewing teeth" (as the vet put it) on an antler (never again) a couple years ago - one $1000 vet bill (for extraction) later, she's back to eating mostly as normal
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

6. This post is liked by:

Zoey broke her back large premolar chewing an antler. We didn't know it was broken until we took her in about three weeks later for her annual exam. Not only was it broken but the nerves were exposed, which explains why she bit me for touching her head about two weeks before that exam. I should have known something was major wrong with that bite but I was so angry with her as it was a bad bite that cost me nine stitches. The Dr. said she would have been in enormous pain for all that time. Of course, I felt terrible. Zoey does not handle pain well. We had to have the tooth surgically removed.
    Laura
    Doggy Mom to Zoey,Slick and Gypsy May(found as a stray but here to stay)

8. This post is liked by:

Back from the Vet and he says that since it's not a major tooth the best thing to do is pull it out. He said leaving it in could cause all sorts of problems and could damage the teeth that are next to it if it becomes infected.

Cost ? $75 CA for the examination (a quick 10 second look in her mouth)
    $315 CA for surgery to pull the tooth out

The good news is when the Vet praised how clean and well taken care of River's teeth are.
    I asked him if he wanted to clean her teeth while she is in surgery and he said he will give them the once over but thinks it will not be necessary.
    This is great because I have religiously brushed and scraped River's teeth and have hated every second of it. Knowing that I have been doing such a great job was a needed pat on the back.

Good job keeping River's teeth so clean! I know prices are very different for different parts of the US for the same thing and don't know how Canada's prices compare to here. I live in the country and the first vet I took Dixie to priced the surgery at $500. The vet who pulled the teeth charged me $55.00 and I know that was probably cheaper than most vets. The funny thing is that Dr. Moore asked me to hold Dixie while he gave her the anesthetic for her surgery. I have known him forever and his vet tech was busy at the time.

It should be an easy surgery and River should do fine and you won't have to worry about that tooth any more. I don't give my dogs antlers to chew since I have heard of so many dogs breaking their teeth on them.

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

Today was the day River got her tooth removed.

I dropped her off at 10 and was told at 1:30 that I could pick her up at 4:30.
    She was in good spirits when I picked her up and was told she did well and has one stitch to hold the area closed. I was also given her tooth (why I have no idea), a medium sized bag of dental control kibble (I love freebies :-) that I am going to use for treats and a can of wet dog food ( which I will use as well and I have moistened her kibble to soften it up to help the soreness of her mouth while healing).
    The tooth was a lot bigger than I had thought it would be. The root part was even longer than the actual tooth was.
    I asked them how the tooth could have gotten broken and they were unsure as it was in an unusual place and no other teeth were damaged. They guessed that River must have had her head down on an angle and hit something straight on.

Since River has been home she has been acting very docile and woozy and it is very strange to see her like this. It is like having another dog. Her ears are down and she moves around very slowly and looks confused. I've even seen her staring off into space swaying back and forth.
    I do remember her acting this way after her surgery getting spayed so I'm not too worried as she was right back to normal the next day.

12. 3 Users Like this:

Glad River did well with the tooth removal.

After having Cowboy's teeth cleaned last month, I picked him up around 3 p.m. and brought him home. He was awake enough to jump into the back seat of the Trooper, so I thought he was pretty well recovered. How wrong I was, lol! I've never seen him so spacey. He took a good drink of water and was more interested in sleeping than anything else. The funny thing was that he was "sleeping" while upright on his chest and chin almost -- but not quite -- touching the carpet. It took about two hours before he finally conked out enough to lay over on his side and sleep in his usual position

Must have been some good drugs, lol!!

Pat & Cowboy Spike
    <><

14. This post is liked by:

Probably the anesthesia or pain meds she is reacting to. Dogs have the greatest ability to bounce back, so River will probably be back to her old self in a few days.
    Laura
    Doggy Mom to Zoey,Slick and Gypsy May(found as a stray but here to stay)

I'm thinking the vet gave you River's tooth so you could put it under the dog pillow for the Doggy Tooth Fairy.

Melissa, Pack Mom to ACDs Nash & Ginger (aka Super Size & Fun Size), with GSPs Lilly & Pepper at the Bridge.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

17. 2 Users Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Laurarenken View Post
    Probably the anesthesia or pain meds she is reacting to. Dogs have the greatest ability to bounce back, so River will probably be back to her old self in a few days.
    My previous ACD Pika returned home from an illegal nighttime visit to the property across the road, ate her dinner as usual, no fuss. Later I was stroking her head and noticed a lump under the skin of her lip. Rolled the lip back and found an odd piece of bone. At first I thought she had something stuck in her teeth, but the more I looked the more horrors I found. Bloody saliva, broken teeth everywhere. She didn't let on at all. Flew her over to the vet first thing the next morning. He found 6 broken teeth (some shattered), cut gums, and had to extract all 6 including the roots. As I didn't see what happened I can only guess...either a neighbor's pony got spooked in the dark and kicked her or a moose did. The broken teeth were scattered all over her mouth which was odd. We finally decided she must have gotten kicked exactly under the chin. She never stopped eating during the entire time. Amazing dog!
    "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

19. This post is liked by:

Sounds like Pika was lucky to just have broken teeth if she was kicked by a pony or a moose. These dogs are so stoic and often don't show pain until things get really bad.

AuCaDo Veteran

Pika's story is amazing!

That is a story and a half !!!

Pika sure was a tough dog.

How is River doing??

Rody Jane goes in for her dental and tooth extraction on 4/7. I know she will be loopy, so will have to try really hard to keep the Moonpie off of her, as I know she won't feel real good for a couple of days.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

River is doing very well. If it weren't for the space between her teeth when she smiles, I would never had known it happened.

Today River earned her keep. In the last couple of years, there have been rats in our neighbourhood that love my compost. This morning I was churning up the compost and a massive rat jumped out and River was on it like a shot and gave the rat a good crunch and shake and dropped it at my feet where I finished it off with the pitch fork.
    Good teamwork

25. This post is liked by:

A weird thing did happen though.

A few days after the surgery we were up at our ski cabin. We give River a treat every time she goes outside and comes back by herself or when called as the yard is not fenced at all and she could go anywhere on the hill and we want her to stay close thinking of goodies. We got a bag of Hills Prescription diet TD (dental control blend) given to us at the vet as a freebee after the surgery and decided to use the kibble for the treats. They are quite large kibble and we give a lot of treats on the hill so I cut them into 4 pieces so she really didn't have all that much. The second night River had watery diarrhea in the house 2 times and needed to go out 2 times too. This has never happened before. Ever. I looked at the ingredients of the so called "quality"food and was shocked at the terrible ingredients the vet was trying to get me to feed my dog !

Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Fat, Soybean Mill Run, Lactic Acid, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene

Powdered Cellulose !?!? isn't that cardboard

Haven't given River anymore of this vile food and no problems since.

The first item listed should be meat and whole grain corn is not easily digested and is used as a "filler." Meat by-products aren't good either. I'm not sure why the vets sell Science Diet and Hill's products because they don't have a very good review on the dog food ratings chart.

The vets that sell it get a kickback from the dog food company that makes it.

The only really good Science Diet food that I know of is the specialty one that they make for dogs with kidney problems. The rest is pretty much crap.
    Eileen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast