Thread: Asking for Bentleys for Cowboy Spike

Default Asking for Bentleys for Cowboy Spike

Some of you may remember that back in May my boy experienced a bout of paralysis in his hindquarters. Both of the vets who examined him were never able to pinpoint any cause of the paralysis, other than it was some type of nerve compression injury. He has had about a 80-85% recovery, which at 9 or 10 years of age is more than we were hoping for.

Within the past six weeks or so, he has been experiencing what are apparently bouts of sharp pain -- sharp enough and sudden enough that he yelps (kind of a yelp / bark), spooks and runs to us for protection / comfort. Tonight he had one while he was just sitting on the floor -- he may have been scratching, but I'm not sure because I wasn't looking at him before he yelped. There doesn't seem to be any specific trigger. He was finishing up his dinner once when it happened. It doesn't seem to last but for that moment. Because it happened the other day when he was bringing me a toy to play with, he is now reluctant to play with his toys. The moments of pain also seem to be coming more frequently. I just realized that it could possibly be one of his hips -- he has a mild case of dysplasia, but I am more inclined to believe it is back-related.

By the end of the day he is moving slower and getting up takes a little longer, so it's definitely time to talk to the vet about something to help manage his discomfort on that level. I'll be calling the clinic tomorrow morning. It is time to have another exam to see if we can find out what is going on, and time to have "that talk" with the vet. If there is still no definite cause for this pain he's experiencing, I'm not sure what direction to go.

I don't think I'm going to have to make any decision within the next few days, so I'll ask for Bentleys for no more "attacks" of pain for my boy, and a few prayers for the vet that they may be able to find out what's causing the pain. Prayers for me, also, that I'll be able to make a good decision.

Thanks!

Pat & Cowboy Spike (aka the Doofus)
    <><
    Last edited by solidcat; 01-09-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Default Re: Asking for Bentleys for Cowboy Spike

Bentleys and prayers, Pat, for you and for Cowboy Spike. It's good that it's not yet urgent, and talking with the vet will give you a clearer direction. No matter what, he's had a great life with you. I hope for more good time for you and him.

3. This post is liked by:

A Bentley here for your boy. I can't remember if it was you or someone else but I know some people have had success with acupuncture. If nothing at the vet helps maybe that could?

5. This post is liked by:

River's Bentley is on full for Cowboy Spike and positive thoughts and prayers are sent your way from me.

7. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Veteran

Bonny's Bentley is on high and positive thoughts and prayers from me. Bonny has back and rear leg issues. Acupuncture and cold laser treatments have both helped her. I think both could help with the pain and both can help with hip dysplasia.

9. 2 Users Like this:

Oh no. Boo may be at the Bridge but his Bentley will be shining even brighter.

11. 2 Users Like this:

3 Bentleys lit here and prayers and positive thoughts for Cowboy Spike and you. I know it must be awful to hear your boy yelp in pain. I hope the vet can come up with a treatment for him or refer you to someone that may be able to help. Like Carol said, the acupuncture and cold laser treatments help Bonnie and may be something to look into for Cowboy Spike.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

Two Bentleys and 2 soft meows for your babe....
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Okay, back from the vet's office this morning. Dr. Whitaker did a lot of flexion tests on the boy's hind end with no problems / pain showing up. Also, no abnormalties showing up on palpation. Dr. Whitaker agrees with me that the sudden pain is related to either the hip or back issue. We're going to try Rimadyl, which, depending on the initial 30-day dosage, could be a long-term thing for his arthritis discomfort.

Good news is that Dr. Whitaker thinks there is not a serious problem here (because the pain is not constant and only lasts for a moment) and that we're going to have this obnoxious old blue doofus around for a few more years!

Thank you everyone for the Bentleys and the prayers. Once again, the Bentley network has worked!

Pat & Cowboy Spike
    <><
    Last edited by solidcat; 01-12-2016 at 12:32 AM.

15. 3 Users Like this:

AuCaDo Veteran

What great news! I am so very happy to hear this.

17. This post is liked by:

Awesome news! Cattle Dogs are tough!
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

19. This post is liked by:

So glad to hear this great news!!

21. This post is liked by:

The power of the Bentley is awesome ! Thanks for telling us the good news.

23. This post is liked by:

Awesome!!! Hoping for the very best. It's tough to see our furkids in pain.
    Laura
    Doggy Mom to Zoey,Slick and Gypsy May(found as a stray but here to stay)