Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flea/Tick Prevention

AuCaDo Member

Default Re: Flea/Tick Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by sharirus View Post
    Reading another thread about dogs reactions to having the chemicals applied kind of shook me up

I have always thought that dogs don't do theatrics and that their brain doesn't work in that complex of a way.
    This to me does not sound like something I would feel comfortable experiencing when applying a chemical to my dog and seeing this type of reaction. If my children were experiencing something like this I would be freaking out and would never use it on them again (and probably would be rushing them to the hospital)
    The Natural Defense is made from Peppermint, Clove, and Lemongrass. I feel like this stuff is safe enough. In the other thread, I wasn't trying to imply that the dogs had an ADVERSE reaction. I was just noting their behavior. Kate reacts like that to every brand of shampoo, flea/tick med, skunk smell, or anything that has a very strong odor.
    As to theatrics, you should see Kate when the DW gets home. She runs in to whatever room I'm in and jumps up on me while giving her RROWRR-RROWRR talking sounds. She also acts all hangdog when she hears the outside sink running, cuz that usually means a bath for her. Yeah, Kate has acting skills.
    Trip, Blue Heeler, adopted May 2013, born Feb 2013
    Kate, Red Heeler, adopted Apr. 2010, born July 2009
    Merlin, Siamese, 1997 to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 40_acre_mule View Post
    The Natural Defense is made from Peppermint, Clove, and Lemongrass. I feel like this stuff is safe enough. In the other thread, I wasn't trying to imply that the dogs had an ADVERSE reaction. I was just noting their behavior. Kate reacts like that to every brand of shampoo, flea/tick med, skunk smell, or anything that has a very strong odor.
    As to theatrics, you should see Kate when the DW gets home. She runs in to whatever room I'm in and jumps up on me while giving her RROWRR-RROWRR talking sounds. She also acts all hangdog when she hears the outside sink running, cuz that usually means a bath for her. Yeah, Kate has acting skills.
    Sorry that I misunderstood you.

Quote Originally Posted by 40_acre_mule View Post
    As to theatrics, you should see Kate when the DW gets home.

What's a DW ?

DW = Dear Wife
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Aloha,

We don't put anything on our kids.

Living in Hawaii, fleas and ticks can are problem.

We have a 6' hollow tile wall around the property.

What I do I to spray insecticide every so often.

I also rotate what I use. Try Not to use same spray too often.

My big problem is flies and bird mites, we have a tree that birds like to roost in.

Neem oil seems to work on almost anything.

I also have pitcher plants hanging in the yard.

What I'm doing must work as we have not had fleas or ticks

since we moved in.

When spraying, I always remove all dog toys before spraying.

I also make sure area is Dry before letting the kids out.

AuCaDo Ambassador The1AndOnlyWay7's Avatar

Yogi,
    Be careful with what you spray in your yard because most insecticides are poisonous to dogs. I would try looking into nematodes as they are very effective in the yard and are safe around dogs. Just a tip but I am glad you have not had a problem with pests!

Natural Chemistry is by far the best natural product I have ever used that knocks out fleas and ticks dead. I have used Natural Defense for over two years now. No fleas, but did find a tick on Galaxy this year which is the first time ever. Also your dog's diet is very important. My vet spoke to me about diet, vets are noticing that the better the diet the more less likely your dog will be effected by fleas. I also use a heartworm medication that kills just the fleas eggs. I use sentinel which all three of my dogs are on it.
    Bailey's Girls : Galaxy-Deaf Blue Heeler and Saahara- Red Heeler
    The business of ferrets: Kodi, Sterling and Tribble
    Rainbow Bridge: Willie, Binx, and Crackers (Never will forget my fuzzy children)

Default Protect your dog from ticks

Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

Default Re: Protect your dog from ticks

I have tried Flea & Tick Shampoo as well as Advantage at the proper strength for my dog's weight both procedures with no success. I have also tried a flea & tick collar, also with no success.

I merged these threads so that you could go back and read what others have to say. I think a lot depends on where you live and how heavily infested with ticks/fleas your area is. We are in a very high-tick area. So I use the name-brand chemical topicals, and they work for us. I have never had a tick or flea on any of our dogs, and we camp in some pretty ticky areas.

I don't trust the collars, and in our area, I don't trust the holistics. But they work for some.
    Eileen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12