Thread: Ear Hematoma updates anyone?

AuCaDo Member

Default ear hematomas????

So Bolt has hematomas in each ear. one so bad his ear droops, one just starting. Our vet gave us lots of options...but I'm wondering what the best course is from you guys??

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: ear hematomas????

Will post more later but these are VERY common in this breed. I have seen more then my share of 'cauliflower' ears on cattle dogs. Will call friends and see what they have to say. I do know that most are lanced, stitched and have drains put in. I also know those that have dogs still showing and they will use a firm backing (even x-ray film material) and instead of stitching put these behind the ear and let it heal that way so that the ear does not "crumble and shrink in the horrible forms they do"

Lynda
    www.austlynACDs.com

If you focus on what you left behind – you will never be able to see what’s ahead

Suspended Account

the best option is to have you vet anesthetise your dog, drain the hematoma, suture the ear with mattress sutures to prevent re-filling, wrap the ears properly, & determine the initial cause of the bleed. aural hematomas are rarely a primary disease & often are secondary to ear infections.

to instill a drain is to invite further infection to wick into the drain incision. with proper bandaging, the ears will usually regain their original shape.

it is not common to see aural hematomas in dogs with upright ears-tends to be the bane of labs, goldens, weimies, & rotts.

*there are several ways to apply a soft backing to aid in proper healing-i have seen vets use sterilized scholl's shoe inserts to specifically designed devices for just this presentation. i saw these at the North American Veterinary Conference & they are great!http://www.vsmllc.com/index_files/Hematoma.htm

AuCaDo Member

apparently the initial cause is the dog house and crate we have for Bolt are both sort of "low" He can stand in them and snuggle in, but I'm sure his ears hit the top. Also probably our killer german sheperd dog pup probably has something to do with it they have been having lots of fun.

Our options were

1)nothing....but messed up ears in the end

2)wait until the blood is "cool" and then drain non-surgically and then do forms and taping

3) surgery. Bolt happens to be getting nuetered on 5/10 and the vet said they could do it at the same time to save me some $$ and save Bolt the danger of going out 2x. And then to stay at the vet for 2 days to keep him safe from aforementioned puppy

Suspended Account

"wait until the blood is "cool" and then drain non-surgically and then do forms and taping"

never heard of that before...i am assuming the vet means the blood coagulates? i have seen ears that have healed naturally from an aural hematome..they look aweful because as the blood congeals, it clots, causing fibrin layers to criss-cross within the pinna membranes...

Color Bambi in. She has a kinky ear from a hematoma last year. I was mad at first. I paid all that money and she looks like a junk yard dog. That is ok now. It adds character
    Gwendolyn,Ducky(bridge),Gabby(bridge)Ginger(bridge)
    Bambi,Bentley,Brooke,Cleopatra,Scooby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've never had a dog with this condition? What is the most common cause? I've had numerous Rottie rescues have to have surgery for this, but never one of my own dogs. What happens to the ACD ear cosmetically? Does it cause the ear to not stand up?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdogs4me View Post
    Color Bambi in. She has a kinky ear from a hematoma last year. I was mad at first. I paid all that money and she looks like a junk yard dog. That is ok now. It adds character
    I have never actually seen a successful version of the surgery. I paid $800 for my cat's ear surgery, and it cauliflowered anyways.
    Dingo 3 y.o. Blue McNiven Heeler
    Flame 11 y.o. Red F ACD AKC CGG
    Jenny 14 y.o. Blue F McNiven Heeler (at the bridge 7/31/2011)
    I am owned by them, but I claim to be dominant. It's complicated!

AuCaDo Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCDLorenz View Post
    I've never had a dog with this condition? What is the most common cause? I've had numerous Rottie rescues have to have surgery for this, but never one of my own dogs. What happens to the ACD ear cosmetically? Does it cause the ear to not stand up?
    My beloved Ruby had one (I think it is caused by shaking heads), I took her to Dr Beth, she (the dog) was put under anesthetic which always causes ME trauma and $400.00 later it was lanced and stitched. Two months later was a "collieflower" ear. So when she got another one in the other ear, I just watched it and two moths later it was reabsorbed and turned into a collieflower ear. She was a great head shaker, even with nothing in her ears. Took her in MANY times for ear checks, to find "zip".

When Casper shook his head in Washington state, I thought he had a sticker, because he had been going pottie in the weeds, so I immediately took him into a vet up there. No sticker, just ear wax. But, it still cost $250.00. Can you see why I can't possible afford any fosters? But, we commit to these guys and so have no choice except to care for them for the rest of their lives.
    Booger (rescued ACD X); Tootsie, Husband's Boston; & my beloved Ruby at the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCDLorenz View Post
    I studied up on this problem a few years back, even talking to Davis and Wazoo in Wa, as one of my foundation gals had these in her later years. Eventually both ears were affected.

Funny thing - some vets seem to think it is more predomionant in hound earred dogs like Bassets, Beagles, Cockers, Goldens, etc - and others in erect earred dogs. These breeds are prone to ear infections often due to mositer and they shake their heads and really flap them ears preetty hard. So many things are listed as the potential cause .. from Ear infections, to ear mites, fly bite irritation, mosquito bites, allergies and immune mediated diseases -- all have neen considered as the underlying causes for this problem. Anything that causes the dog to flap its ears can make this happen and it appears to occur in many breeds.

Definately a younger dog biting the ears of Bolt continuously can cause a hematoma -- after all it is simply a collection of blood that has no place to go. I would think the pup would more affect it then standing in a crate where the ears are touching

Surgery can be done with and w/o drains...drains help those that are not prepared to help rub the ears and push out or massage the ear daily to get the blood to ooze out. I have seen both and the results of both never seem to be the same

I have seen surgery done both ways and the ears be "somewhat" saved..there is always some crimping but some more so then others. Sara had one ear affected and the surgery only was a temporary fix. In most cases it does come back and hers did and then her other ears was also affected. Poor girl looks like a cattle dog with ears that were shrink wrapped very sloppily. Then again I have seen show dogs with only part of the ear crimped and not really affecting the look of the dog- getting group placements no less.

Basically it seems the biggest problem is the potential for the ears to again become affected over time. There are a ton of sites on the internet that have information on the problem. It can be icky to work with but it IS pretty painful. I'd be thrilled if I never have to deal with it again ;-)

Lynda
    www.austlynACDs.com

If you focus on what you left behind – you will never be able to see what’s ahead

My first ACD had hematomas on both ears. They were drained and then a button was stitched to her ear to keep it flat. They healed well and were always tipped over after that.

She had a flea allergy and the first half of her life was back in the days when there wernt as many easy options for flea control. It only need one flea bite to set her allergies off. The hematomas would have been a result of head shaking from the irritation.

AuCaDo Member

well Bolt is scheduled for his nueter on 5/10 and will have something done then depending on how they are. they don't seem to hurt him at all as long as our sheperd stays off them. she is wild. I am going to look at leaving him at the vets for a few days to let them heal before giving him back for super play with Boom

Default Ear Hematoma updates anyone?

I know there is a really old posting on ear hematomas. Can anyone please post some updates on how to treat without causing damage to the ear? My boy just got a small one in the middle of his ear and I want to do anything possible to keep it from wrinkling or falling over.

Thanks!
    Dana
    www.Just4Mav.webs.com
    Dana & Maverick
    Intl. Multi CH Dar's Best of Both Worlds, CGC, CD, RE, NA, NAJ, THD, HSAsc, VQW
    (CH Kuawarri Butt'n Fly Blues HS,HTDs X CH Teddee's Dally Up Katie)

Default Re: Ear Hematoma updates anyone?

Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Totally Bionic Flying Stinkwad
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"