Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Safety Reminders!

Default Re: Summer Safety Reminders!

http://www.aspcaonlinestore.com/prod...ty-thermometer

Too Hot For Spot? Dog Car Safety Thermometer
    This unique thermometer with its fun artwork is designed to raise awareness of dog car safety and bring attention to the possible hazards of leaving pets too long in a vehicle or any enclosed area during any season.
    The thermometer provides pet owners with real time information to make intelligent choices when traveling with their pets. It also serves as an educational tool by raising awareness.
    Clings automatically and works instantly!

Item #:
    AS1746

This item is in stock.

Price:
    $11.05

Quantity:
    Last edited by littleroads; 07-12-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Bumping for new members - please read entire thread!

Also - just read a blurb about this little device from Home Depot - might help to carry this small thing with you if you happen to notice a dog in a hot car - showing the police or owner could help make a point - or save a life...

http://news.bostonherald.com/enterta...osition=recent
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

I was just getting ready to rant about the heat! Today was the 29th day of 3 digit temps! ACK! I know that doesn't sound bad to those of you in Arizona and I'm pretty used to Texas summers being hot- but it's time for the oven to be turned down! As for my pets- Daisy, my Rottenhound has informed me that it is too hot for dogs to go outside! My friend is dragging her Rotties out to pee, then they run back inside(you don't want to be standing in their way either) Please, please everyone- check on any outside dogs & don't hesitate to call the police when you see a dog in a vehicle!

AuCaDo Member

This is a good thread and I have never had thought of it.
    I have to say our window controls are imbedded in the arm rest so this sort of takes this out of us worrying about.
    But here where I live we have to worry about snakes as when the warmer months are here we have snakes close by.
    Last year our cat chased a meter Brown Snake into my shed. I got it but they are here as the saying goes here like this.
    For every snake you see there are a dozen more that you don't.
    And here in Australia we have got some of the most dangerous snakes in the world. So if your dogs gets bit it is close to say good bye.

Now our Obedience Trainner came up with this and when he said it he was just so right.
    he said who of you throw sticks or branches to your dogs.
    I put up my hand and he said that I am putting my dog into so much danger. I had no idea why so I asked.
    He said that if you throw these the dog goes to retrieve it but a dog doesn't know the difference between a stick and a moving snake. So your god if in the wrong place at the wrong time, you got it he will be bitten.
    And that if you thow it into the water which is fun for both of you.
    Well snakes use the river to go to new spots and I have seen snake going down river with the flow of it. I had to make sure it was a snake and threw a stick at it, (I was working for a housebout mob at the time) and the snake raised its head up off the water surface.
    So this is real and true. So take this into your consideration also.

This thread reminds me of the time I got in a huge argument with this obese lady in the Chinese buffet about the dogs she left her car in nearly 100F weather. I had gone to the store and saw the dogs in the car. When I came out 15 min later they were still there, and I figured by where they were parked that they were either in the movies or pigging out at A1 Kings Buffet.. so I went and asked the manager of the chinese joint of they could ask their customers if they owned the dog. They said no. I then asked to use their phone to call the police to report the dog. They declined and decided to ask the customers since I wasnt about to leave. Bingo... there she sits shoveling Moo goo gai pan in her face while her dog is suffering.

Huge argument ensues over the wooden koi fish design.. but she did go get the dog out of the car. If she had not I would have smashed the window and taken him myself.

BUMPING!!!

PLEASE READ ENTIRE THREAD!!!
    Eileen

I am looking for some pet window guards for the car that are not flimsy plastic that the dogs (or someone else) could easily push or pull out. Anybody have suggestions?
    Eileen

Ok, I`m dumb. What`s the difference between bumping and moving?
    Gill and Ricky, everybody's therapy dog
    Boo at the Bridge
    Macha & assorted maniacal kitty friends
    Aerial, hummingbird godmother

Bumping a thread means you post something to bring it up to the top again, to get people to read or re-read it.

Moving means just that - moving a post to another thread.

Merging is pretty much the same thing as moving - just joining two threads.
    Eileen

Default Re: Summer Safety Reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by havekissedfrogs View Post
    We have a law against that here.

I didn't know there was a law there against that. I would see that all the time on HW 20 unfortinaly I saw dead dogs on the side of the road there as well. I wish there was a law for that here. We saw a farm dog that was on a flat bed truck that was towing with a goose neck! It was horrible to think they had driven all the way from Montana like that.

AuCaDo Member

Default Re: Summer Safety Reminder!

Last summer, doggies had a doctor appointment, (normally they stay home in the air conditioned house during hot weather). I had to pick up an RX at a nearby drug store and of course doggies were in the car. When I returned from drug store, a woman, standing by my car, was really upset and loudly declaring to me, the dogs should be removed from my care because they could be dead in "that hot car". I was obviously "not a conscience dog owner, etc., etc." I really THANKED her for her concern, but asked her if she noticed the car was running and so was the air conditioning -- the dogs were far more comfortable than we were, as they were in a nicely air conditioned auto, and we were standing in the hot sun. It was nice of her to be concerned, more folks should be.
    Boogs, blue, (rescued ACD X); & my beloved Ruby, red, (ACD) at the Bridge

I was at my ping-pong club yesterday and there was a Chinese lady there. She played for a couple of hours then left. After she`d gone, someone said they didn`t know why she brings her dog every time and leaves it it the car!!!!! I wish I`d have known before. This is Phoenix for doG`s sake. Granted it`s only in the late 70`s to maybe 82 and she was parked in the shade under a bunch of huge trees but when I got in my car in the same area it was HOT. I hope she`s there tomorrow and I hope she doesn`t bring her dog cause if so I`ll tell her to leave and if she doesn`t I`ll take the next step. Idiot.
    Boo at the Bridge

She was there today. I asked if I could see her dog. There were 2 little poodles on the floor of the car. The windows were cracked only 1/4 of an inch. They had no water. I told her it was illegal and animal cruelty. She said she`d only stay for an hour!!!! I told her she needed to take the dogs home now and that they could die in there. It`s 84F today and a gret deal hotter in the car. She ignored me and continued to play so I called the police. They were going to send a car out but while I was on the phone with them in the parking lot she came out with the supervisor of the center. He`d told her to leave. She was mad at me and said, "You call police, go home." I said, " No, you go home." I hate people who pretend not to understand English when they really do. There went my game. Couldn`t concentrate worth a d**n so I left early.
    Boo at the Bridge

Doggyloot has window guards on sale this week, with free shipping:

https://doggyloot.com/deals/5387/[email protected]&utm_source=Doggyloo t&utm_campaign=f3c123209e-fab_test_06_18_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_20 8b343af9-f3c123209e-255430645

I have these - they work great. Larger vehicles may need two per window. I use one each window on my Ford Explorer.
    Eileen

Veterinarian sits in a hot parked car for 30 minutes. I'm going to send this to a co-worker of mine who insists "It's only for a few minutes..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOcCQ-y3OY
    Eileen

Bumping this thread up since we are heading into the spring/summer months.

Remember that cracking your windows open is not enough to keep a dog from suffering heat stroke, even for a very short period of time. Summer temps in a car are at least 20 degrees hotter than it is outside. 10 minutes in a 120 degree car can cause death.

Also - if you have automatic windows, please make sure they are locked so that your dogs cannot accidentally stand on the button and get their heads caught in the windows.

PLEASE BE SAFE!!!
    Eileen

17. This post is liked by:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12