Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Thread: The AuCaDo **OFFICIAL** gratuitous dog photo thread.

Default Re: The AuCaDo **OFFICIAL** gratuitous dog photo thread.

When was the show? Holiday time is kind of a bad time to have these kinds of things - both for planning and attending. But if in summer - hmm, if I lived in the area, I would have loved to go!

(River - ho, ho, ho!) My dogs would never keep a hat/beard on long enough to take a picture!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy (Golden Retriever - ACD Wannabe)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Default Re: The AuCaDo **OFFICIAL** gratuitous dog photo thread.

Quote Originally Posted by littleroads View Post
    When was the show? Holiday time is kind of a bad time to have these kinds of things - both for planning and attending. But if in summer - hmm, if I lived in the area, I would have loved to go!
    The show was OK. It used to be a benched dog show where entrants would stay at their assigned locations all day. To be fair, I can understand why they did away with this - it's kind a pain at car shows at these same locations when you have to be there with your car, and a sports car doesn't need to eat/pee/etc.

The show was December 7-9. Admission was a lot cheaper than previous years too, at $10/ticket (it was like $35 when it was downtown at McCormick place, and that's after having to pay like $20 for parking). They didn't post the event schedule until like 2 weeks before (or at least I wasn't able to find them online). Just felt really poorly planned and marketed.

You aren't too far out - maybe next year you could make a trip down: http://www.ikcdogshow.com/
    Lee. Cattle dog retirement home. | flickr | tumblr

AuCaDo Member

Luna's made peace with her coat by this point in winter, but long walks in actual subzero weather call for additional humiliations, like the dreaded snood to protect her ears from frostbite and an application of Musher's Secret to protect her paws from salt.

"If I make myself really small and hide behind the couch, maybe I'll escape the paw wax." (Note pointed refusal to accept the liver treats, her favorite, on the floor. I'd just put them in her mouth, but she sullenly let them fall out.)

Her classic facial expression when subjected to something she dislikes. Piteous resignation and deep resentment rolled into one. Most often seen at bedtime when she has to leave "her" nice warm spot so we can get into bed.

4. 4 Users Like this:

Default Re: Another call for photos

Lee, if that show was poorly attended this year, maybe they will make some changes so that next year will be better. We go to amateur league hockey games here, and the general manager retired. He was very active in promoting the games, and intermission entertainment, raffles, sportswear to sell, an active mascot, etc. Since he left, there hasn't been any of that, and attendance has dropped. I asked about it, and they said they haven't had any volunteers to help with that stuff. So, I guess it all depends on what people are willing to do to make it work.

Zelig - poor Luna! Since it's been below zero (well, 20's, actually), I don't take the dogs out much - and that's more because of me than them. Rody Jane loves the cold, but she prefers laying out in the sun rather than long walks anymore. Dixie would probably love the walks, but she has the short hair like Luna, so would need to be bundled up. Me - I'm a hibernation kinda person. We do more indoor playtime than outdoor this time of year.
    Last edited by littleroads; 12-28-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

hahahaha! Your descriptions got me laughing!!!!
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

7. This post is liked by:

AuCaDo Member

A couple more, because frankly I've got nothing better to do right now than alternate between shoveling and playing with her in the backyard. Sidewalks are getting pretty bad around here because most people shrink from shoveling when it's below zero, and it's around -10F with the wind chill right now. With the Lake effect lately we've been getting at least a few more inches every day, and I think a couple new storms are supposed to come through this weekend.

Had to lighten these up quite a bit to keep her brown eye from vanishing into an indistinct dark blob...it's tough to get good snow pics of a white dog with one pale eye and one heavily black-rimmed dark one...

This is about as dark as her ticking ever gets! In outdoor light anyway.

9. This post is liked by:

Luna is so gorgeous! Those. eyes.

I'm guessing you live in the Chicago area? I'm up near Appleton in WI, and it's been below zero here for about a week now, so we haven't ventured outside much either. We're not getting the snow that you have so far though...but it's only January, so I'm sure it's coming. Rody's usually in her favorite spot next to the patio door looking out. She has that heavy undercoat, so doesn't mind the cold.

Hmmm, trying to post photos and it's not letting me. Will have to get hold of the admin.
    Eileen

AuCaDo Member

Yeah, we're between Michigan City and South Bend, same latitude as Chicago but on the east side of the Lake. So it's not quite as cold here as it is where you are--"only" -15F with windchill right now, a good 10 degrees or so warmer than northern WI--but we do generally get more snow than Chicago because of the Lake effect. Luna is OK for long walks down to around -5F with her coat and snood, but anything below that and she turns back hard after about 15 minutes. I think her mix wasn't kind to her in terms of cold protection; her outer coat is somewhat open-textured rather than glossy-tight, and her undercoat is sparse and silky. We ran into a neighbor with a white Boxer on a walk yesterday and I was noticing that even though his outer coat was probably a bit shorter than Luna's and of course no undercoat at all, still his outer coat was super-tight and dense, and he didn't have all the skin peeking through on chest, belly and insides of legs that Luna has. So actually I'm impressed she's as tough as she is, but the next couple days are gonna be too much for her; we'll probably be playing lots of indoor fetch, with occasional quick bouts of flirt pole in the backyard. We've been avoiding going out much in the car for a week now because the roads are so icy and I'm starting to go nuts, lol. It could be worse I know, way worse; people in places where you need tire chains and a ski mask to get through any old winter would just laugh at my whining...

Lee, if that show was poorly attended this year, maybe they will make some changes so that next year will be better. We go to amateur league hockey games here, and the general manager retired. He was very active in promoting the games, and intermission entertainment, raffles, sportswear to sell, an active mascot, etc. Since he left, there hasn't been any of that, and attendance has dropped. I asked about it, and they said they haven't had any volunteers to help with that stuff. So, I guess it all depends on what people are willing to do to make it work.
    Actually, the decrease in attendance isn't all that surprising. The past few shows were (to my knowledge) basically not held. When we went to the last show held at McCormick place (the big convention center downtown where the "high-profile" conventions are usually held), the people on the parking shuttle bus were already talking about how the show was quickly declining (although they also noted that other dog shows, and conformation showing, were also declining).

I've been making use of the cold weather to photograph the girls (and some of the neighborhood dogs) with a very expensive camera lens I rented.

1/2000 @ f/1.4 on an 85mm prime.

13. 3 Users Like this:

Been to McCormick Place many times for the National Restaurant Show.
    Barbara, Titan and Bandito. Parker (BC), Baby Driver and Brumby at the Rainbow Bridge.

Awww, my sweet Ziva-girl...

I don't know, maybe dog shows in general are just going down the tubes. It seems there are a lot more "activity" type things - agility, flyball, treiball, dock-diving, etc. We don't have any dog shows at all up here that I'm aware of. A few pet expo's that I enjoy going to, but even they aren't all that big.
    Eileen

I don't know, maybe dog shows in general are just going down the tubes.
    They are. Or at least, they have been in decline.

The chair of the AKC noted it in one of their monthly reports: http://www.akc.org/about/minutes-rep...eptember-2016/

Some more stuff I shot with my rented lens:

17. 2 Users Like this:

The clarity of each little hair/fur is incredible! Love them!

Awww, Peace's eyes are just gorgeous. They look like "old soul" eyes.

How long do you get to keep the rental?
    Eileen

Awww, Peace's eyes are just gorgeous. They look like "old soul" eyes.

How long do you get to keep the rental?

Sent it back a little while ago.

Ziva has been spending some time outside in the snow.

21. 3 Users Like this:

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647