Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has gotten their dogs from a listing on this forum?

Suspended Account

Default Re: Who has gotten their dogs from a listing on this forum?

Coleman & I met through Carolina R & R!

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthre...hlight=coleman

His 1st listing was from Lolly-& if you just search a bit, I've got about a dozen updates on him as well as pictures galore...& now that I have an even nicer DSLR camera, well, prepare to be bombarded by pics of my handsome boy!

It always makes me smile when I look back at his original thread, & read how I came to the decision to adopt Coleman, & then the fact my avatar pic is of my melon-head!

AuCaDo Member

If I knew how to find the original post I would put it in here (can one of you help?).

As many of you know, Casper's owner passed away and he was mourning, about the same time as I lost my beloved Ruby, just four months after my husband passed away.

His picture was SO SAD and I knew how he felt and agreed to FOSTER him. He is now a very failed foster, loved and appreciated here in the Sierra Nevada foothills. He is never more than a few feet away from me (and yes, I am very careful for both our sakes to not fall over him). He is still on a low calorie diet, and has not lost an ounce. Open for suggestions. Great thread, thanks.
    Boogs, blue, (rescued ACD X); & my beloved Ruby, red, (ACD) at the Bridge

3. This post is liked by:

Here is Casper's original thread.

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthre...ghlight=casper

Evelyn, to help my dogs lose weight, since pumpkin is so hard to find, I've been using frozen peas (recommended by my horse's vet) as a substitute for some of my dog's kibble. I make the changeover slowly, and give them the same amount of food, but end up giving them 1/2 kibble and 1/2 peas. I've been doing this for Darcy and Cody for about a month and Darcy has lost almost three pounds. They don't seem to have any trouble digesting the peas and they eat them as readily as they eat their kibble.
    Beth and the boys, Darcy & Cody and Princess Hannah
    and Denny & Snuffles waiting at The Bridge

AuCaDo Member

Oh, thank you, Beth.

Evelyn, I have some cans of pumpkin and will be happy to send them to you if you want them. All you'd need to pay for is the postage. Also, I've heard about adding green beans to their food, although I've never tried it with my dogs. Haven't needed to yet, but Dustin has gained weight since he's been here, so if that keeps up I may start trying those things on him.
    You may never know what results come from your action, but if you do nothing, there will be no results. - Gandhi
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.".....Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Hey I am guessing this maybe has something to do with people posting their dogs/puppies/litters, etc on FaceBook and placing some of them in homes via someone seeing them on Facebook?? I noted on some other forum your mentioning something about people buying pups via FB.

Personally it is not all that much different in some ways then having a web site. Both breeders and rescues often find homes for their dogs via a web site. Not all rescues can find people to do a home visit on every listed rescue - and without the advertising of the dog in rescue many many of them would never find homes. Many of us breeders also place pups to people we have never met in person. In some ways this is no different then using FB -- how many rescues have found homes thru FB?? I do not think it is any different if a breeder were to find homes for thier dogs this way either. LOL I was just going to post - brag - show pics of the litter Michelle has when I read your query here. LOL I hate feeling as if someone thinks I would be doing wrong by sharing pics on a public forum. The ONLY people that would see those pics in FB are people listed on my friends list OR those looking for people associated with cattle dogs.

I am not a big user of Facebook but I think it is more my age...it is so fast paced and truthfully I am not a person who cares what is on someones mind at all times BUT more and more businesses, people, job hunters and job offerings, etc are going thru Facebook. Many companies I buy items from now have a Facebook site and have asked me to be a fan for them. A good friend gets most of his business thru FB and seems like others I talk to are also using FB as a faux web site. Seems you can locate or advertise to more people via FB then even a business web site.

SOOOOO - does this mean it is bad for people to show litters here?? A big percentage of my pups already have people waiting for thier birth or even the breeding. I have maybe placed less then a handful here but I have found super homes via Aucado too. After all us breeders need good homes for those pups not spoken for as much as rescues do I am thinking FB and places like it will be the future of the internet. I have never even bloged or twittered of whatever else everyone uses...but seems this is the future of everyday life. I'll take my reading books over all that any day/

Lynda
    www.austlynACDs.com

If you focus on what you left behind – you will never be able to see what’s ahead

Default Re: Has anyone gotten their dogs from a listing on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by pjspatz View Post
    Sasha came to live with me her in NY all the way across the US because of a posting that Lynda made about her needing to go to a performance home! She has carved her place into our family and my heart.
    Yestarday she did 12 weave poles so fast it made my heart flutter!

[Trying to find the original thread on this one - EL]

ooowwweeee Grammie wants to see that. The end of this year and next I plan to do a little traveling to find a new place to live. Maybe I will be lucky to get somewhere near where you live so I can watch. Sacha's Mommie is my smartest dog...makes this Grammie smile to know her babes can do well. Not to mention I LOVE watchig those dogs that can do it just seem to glide thru the weave poles!!

Lynda
    www.austlynACDs.com

If you focus on what you left behind – you will never be able to see what’s ahead

Hey Grammie,asa matter of fact I videoed training today! I will try and post to Youtube,but I did it o my old camera,and I will have to see if it will sync to my computer. She is learning to turn left and right off a jump. We have a playdate at Rose's of Tangelwood ACD's tomorrow with everyone!
    Sacha (and sage and Lakota) and I hope with allour hearts to be moving to New Mexico ASAP!!!!

As for finding dogs on a forum.....I casay that I feel at least here, weseem to get to know each other fairly well here. Yes,inperson you dolearn different aspects of a person, and see with your eyes how they interact with their dogs,BUT ifsomeone wants to be diseptive they will be in person as easily as on line.

Suspended Account

just a couple of pics of my handsome adopter acd, Coleman. I missed him so much the week I was in Arizona!

watching me make omelets

11. 2 Users Like this:

AuCaDo Member

Thanks guys, I will try the pumpkin, green pea thing. He is very convincing about being HUNGRY, but I can't oblige him. I love the old boy and want him to lose weight, be healthy, and live a long time. And by the way he barked (once) again today. I have hopes he may, yet, become a watch dog. Trouble is, as soon as he barks, I praise, and when I praise he comes to me and forgets to keep barking. Going to try not praising. Any other ideas???

13. 3 Users Like this:

Suspended Account

Quote Originally Posted by EJA View Post
    Thanks guys, I will try the pumpkin, green pea thing. He is very convincing about being HUNGRY, but I can't oblige him. I love the old boy and want him to lose weight, be healthy, and live a long time. And by the way he barked (once) again today. I have hopes he may, yet, become a watch dog. Trouble is, as soon as he barks, I praise, and when I praise he comes to me and forgets to keep barking. Going to try not praising. Any other ideas???

Have you tried, asking him "What is it"? Kinda in a quiet, excited way, maybe as you are getting up and going toward the window or door where he is barking, ask it quietly (a little louder than a whisper) but with a real sense of suspiciousness or like you have a little concern in your voice. If I do that I can get the whole crew barking and the dog will start looking in the direction they were barking. You can say "What do you see?" "What is it"? "Is there something out there"? but just move in a quiet way like you are trying to sneak a look at something. This usually will raise the concern that maybe something IS out there and they will start looking for it. See if that helps rather than praising him, he thinks with a praise he is supposed to come to you to get petted or a treat.

And my dogs LOVE green beans, I put green beans in with their kibble and they love it--don't know if you have tried that or not for weight control, it adds fiber and bulk to their food and they feel like they've had more to eat.
    J

15. 2 Users Like this:

Suspended Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ringtailroxy View Post

Oh, my, my, my-------someone has a nice new camera that takes beautiful shots!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!
    J

I use frozen whole green beans to slow Oreo (a R&R FF) down while eating, in hopes to lower the amount of his contributions to the greenhouse effect.

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthre...ght=%22oreo%22
    Oreo, Max, Corona, Buela, Colbert, plus foster momma Maya & co.
    Puppy photos here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=a31394dfa6
    [email protected]

18. 2 Users Like this:

After all us breeders need good homes for those pups not spoken for as much as rescues do
    I'm sorry but I have to take issue with that statement. Not trying to offend or start arguments, but rescues aren't making any money (usually losing it) on re-homing dogs that would suffer and die if the rescues didn't work so hard to save them. Breeders are making the choice to bring more puppies into the world, and usually making money on selling them, so they should be able to pay for advertising and not breed any more than have already been spoken for. I don't approve of breeders using free sites (i.e. facebook or craigslist) to find homes for their surplus puppies. JMO, and I'm sure that I'll get flamed for it by breeders....oh, well. It upsets me too much to see the horrific overpopulation problem, and the breeders who are selfishly adding to it. If you don't already have good homes lined up for your puppies, don't bring them into the world!
    You may never know what results come from your action, but if you do nothing, there will be no results. - Gandhi
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.".....Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

20. This post is liked by:

Lynda, I *love* seeing the pictures of your puppies.

Since reputable breeders do not overbreed their dogs and do all the required health testing before breeding their dogs, I really don't think reputable cattle dog breeders make much if any profit on their puppies. If you look at the amount it costs to show/compete to get the titles/credentials and then have eyes, hips, elbows, dentition and hearing checked on breeding cattledogs, it's not cheap. Then add in the cost of having each of the puppies microchipped, vaccinated, wormed and hearing tested, there isn't a lot left for profit. I also don't think reputable breeders are the cause of the pet overpopulation problem, especially since most puppies from reputable breeders are sold on a spay/neuter contract.

I *do* believe that BYB's, accidental breedings and puppy mills *are* the reason that we have the horiffic pet overpopulation problem.

Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth.
    Beth and the boys, Darcy & Cody and Princess Hannah
    and Denny & Snuffles waiting at The Bridge

22. This post is liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by havekissedfrogs View Post
    If you don't already have good homes lined up for your puppies, don't bring them into the world!
    I have sympathy for your position, but I think it is a tad harshly stated. Even the best breeder has little control over how many puppies are in a litter. I know that it is a topic of debate, but wouldn't most people agree that reputable breeders who are trying to improve the breed are an important part of the community? It is my understanding that most of the reputable breeders are not making much money (if any) on their programs. The good breeders, Lynda included, will take back their dogs if there are any problems down the line. They often have older dogs that need placement for that reason. Aren't these dogs just as worthy of a forever home?

I suppose there are good arguments for stopping all breeding until there are no homeless pets. Unfortunately, what would happen is all the disreputable breeders would keep churning out the pups with little regard for breed health.
    *** Jen

24. 2 Users Like this:

Unfortunately, what would happen is all the disreputable breeders would keep churning out the pups with little regard for breed health.
    That's a really, really excellent point. I'm more worried about shutting down puppy mills and getting rid of backyard breeders or at the very least getting people to get educated *and* give a crap about not getting their dogs from these places (AK is bad for people giving a crap even when they know about these things). Deal with these two things and people with pets dogs spaying and neutering their dogs and 98% of the issues will be solved.

26. This post is liked by:

All good thoughts guys, but the thread's getting hijacked. Let's get back to those who've gotten dogs as a result of this forum. We can start a new thread on the other subject if you'd like. Thanks!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

I got Mariel and Ernest from here! I was not a member of the forum but I saw a cross post from Lolly on ACD-L. It was all people on here that
    got her out and Martha and Doc brought her and the pups to meet me in WVA. Then I brought them back to NY. I cant remember the name of the
    town in NC (or was it SC?) where Mariel was with her newborn pups.
    Ei, can you find the original thread?

Here you go - I merged quite a few threads to get the story in one place.

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthre...ghlight=mariel
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast