Thread: How to Dremel a Dog's Nails

Exclamation How to Dremel a Dog's Nails

(Not sure if this is where this should go or not!)

How I Dremel Dog Nails
    By Dawn S. Garrett
    Copyright 2001 - All rights reserved

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

When we got Maggie Mae from a shelter, her nails were sooo long and she was terrified of the clippers. So we tried a Dremel and she does really well with it! She still won't sit still and hand me a paw, but if I hold her on her back, she actually loves it. She gets all excited when I get it out, comes and lays down between my legs then rolls over on her back. Of course, lots of tasty treats and praise praise praise!

Logan OTOH - No Way would he let me hold him on his back! We've had him since he was a pup so were able to work with him on "toes" etc., so he'll lay down and hand me a paw and I can do clippers or Dremel - as long as he is well paid for his cooperation! :s1:

Laurey, Logan and Sweet Maggie Mae Pie

Default Re: How to Dremel a Dog's Nails

Those are the cutest pictures I have ever seen! She looks so relaxed! All she needs now is some scented candles and warm towels on her belly! :s8: What a doll baby! I am in love! :Smitten:
    :punk::insane:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apologies for dragging an old post up.

Lolly, did you have to sedate Maggie Mae in anyway to grind her nails, she looks so relaxed.

I can only get Boof to sit still for a minute for a pat, then he's off being busy busy busy.

I'm interested in the grinder for sure, it might be one nail a day. :s8: Depending on how he reacts to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofer69 View Post
    Lolly, did you have to sedate Maggie Mae in anyway to grind her nails, she looks so relaxed.
    Not at all, but I think you'd have a hard time with that position with most other ACDs! It probably works so well with her because it's a variation of one of her favorite things - A Special Mommy Belly Rub - where she'll lay like that on my lap forever while I scratch her belly!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofer69 View Post
    I'm interested in the grinder for sure, it might be one nail a day. Depending on how he reacts to it.
    Whatever you decide to try, I would start from square one. Take it slow by training him to let you touch and handle his feet first, and rewarding him with special treats. After a few times of that, add the clippers, just laying close by without touching, then touch his toes a little without trying to clip, etc. until he hopefully associates them with good things. And you're right, it will probably be one toe at a time when you are finally able to cut one.

Also, don't know if you've ever tried clicker training, but here's a good article on training that way:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...iltrimming.htm

Good luck! Off to give Maggie a peddy.
    Laurey, Logan and Sweet Maggie Mae Pie

I Dremel all four of my dogs' nails. Jake tolerates it, Cody loves any attention he gets, Ace is getting better, and Skye lets me know when she wants it done! She gets up on my bed with all 4 feet in the air, like "Do me, Mom!".

I've been using a Peti-Buffer on Bud's nails but it takes absolutely forever and he is not that fond of it. He has always absolutely HATED the vet touching his nails and we have had to resort at times to getting them done while he has been under anaesthetic for something else. last time it was when he tore his dew claw and had that stripped under GA. Well, yesterday I had to trim one of Chippy's weird tails that grows out sideways and skinny and he had split it so I just used our nail clippers.
    Today I thought I would try them on Bud. Well, he just sat there and smiled while I cut each and every nail. Duh!! It was just strangers he hated touching his nails. Why didn't it ever occur to me to try it myself?
    Di, Bud, Nimble, Pudding, Tricky and Spook (and my Chippy at the Rainbow Bridge )

Founder/Director - Australian Working Dog Rescue Int (AWDRI)

AuCaDo Member

Apologize for the hijack...

We have a concrete driveway. I just throw the ball down the drive twice a day.
    Result, nicely filed and rounded nails. I do still have to clip the dew claws.

Mule
    Trip, Blue Heeler, adopted May 2013, born Feb 2013
    Kate, Red Heeler, adopted Apr. 2010, born July 2009
    Merlin, Siamese, 1997 to 2015