Thread: Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Default New danger - Xylitol

From La Bone Appetit Newsletter for April, 2008:

PET ALERT: COMMON ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER CAUSE OF RECENT DEATHS IN DOGS

A new threat to our pets' lives has just come to light, dramatically and tragically. A pack of Trident bubble gum, containing the artificial sweetener Xylitol, was recently eaten by a 70 pound Labrador in perfect health. The dog died a horrible rapid death from liver failure within one week.

There have been eight published reports of liver failure in dogs from Xylitol-containing products, although the most common problem caused by Xylitol is seizures brought on by a rapid onset of low blood sugars. This effect can be caused by as little as two sticks of gum in 30 minutes in a 20 pound dog. The only effective treatment is rapid decontamination and supportive care which can only be done in an animal hospital.

This danger is so recently discovered that Animal Poison Control has yet to determine the exact reason behind the liver failure nor the exact dosages needed. Complicating matters is the fact that the exact amount of this artificial sweetener contained in varying products is considered a proprietary secret by the manufacturers—which means that Animal Poison Control calculations are best guess extrapolations.

Products that contain Xylitol are sugarless gums, toothpastes, mints, boxed dessert mixes, pancake syrups, and vitamins to name just a few. Dog owners should exercise extreme care with food storage and read product labels carefully.

Contributed by Dr. Patricia Hart, Southport Veterinary Center, Southport, CT
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Bionic Flying Stinkwad (Cattledog/Stinkwad mix)
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    George P-Dog (Perfect Dog) (Great Pyrador)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Eileen
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot) (ACD) (at the Bridge♥)
    Miss Dixie Two-Minute Moonpie - Official Foster Failure (Polka-Dot Dog) (Australian-American Rattledog)

Default Xylitol warning

Warning from ASPCA:
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...e=press_082106

From Snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

I don't have the original poster's contact information on the article below, but I have seen it before, and it bears repeating.

Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can. Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately. Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and sa! id that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation; their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein sin ce the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, s he probably would have died and we wouldn't even have known why.
    Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.
    Last edited by littleroads; 11-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Eileen

Default Peanut butter alert

WARNING: This peanut butter has Xylitol in it - TOXIC to dogs.

http://www1.netrition.com/nuts_n_mor...ut_butter.html
    Eileen

5. 3 Users Like this:

Default Re: Peanut butter alert

Thanks for posting that. Good to know.

You scared me there for a minute, too...Peanut Butter is a daily staple here as a vessel for everyone's meds.
    We stick mostly to Jif though. ("Choosy moms...")
    Jen
    Mom to
    Austin, Rosie, Bear & Ruby;

Sydney, Tucker, Max & Boomer (at the Bridge)

I use peanut butter a lot here, too. Usually Jif and this PB is way too expensive for me anyway.
    Diane~ Cindy, Freelee, Sage, Val, Belle and Kip, foster ACD mix

Josie, Ace, Rena, Annie, Bailey, Took, Grandma and Maggie~ CGC-gone but never forgotten

AuCaDo Member

OH MY GOSH! Thank you. Went immediately to check ingredients. This jar of Skippy does not have Xylitol . I usually buy whatever is on sale, but from now on will check the ingredients, for sure. Thanks again. EJA
    Boogs, blue, (rescued ACD X); & my beloved Ruby, red, (ACD) at the Bridge

Eileen