Thread: Campylobactor bacteria - Parvo look-alike

Default Campylobactor bacteria - Parvo look-alike

From another list:

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
    Subject: Parvo look-a-like

Dear Members, For those of you who know what Parvo is, you have probably heard about the "new" strain. It causes all the same symptoms as Parvo but sets in and kills even faster. To top things off the Parvo test comes up negative for this "strain". So far it is hitting the Southern states (where IL gets many of its dogs) and California. For those of you who have not heard of Parvo, on our meetup page there is a file with info and links. I have recently received info stating that this new Parvo strain is actually a bacterial infection that shows all the same symptoms. This bacteria "Campylobacter" was positively identified in at least one dog. The treatment for Parvo (a virus) does not cure Campylobacter (bacteria) infections and misdiagnosis of the symptoms will most likely result in the death of the dog. To read more about Campylobacter infection s follow this link. Also keep this in mind if you have your dog on a raw diet, as this bacteria is found in raw meat. If your dog has a healthy immune system, it may be able to overcome the infection without treatment but NOT if it keeps eating the bacteria.

(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...lobacter_g.htm) ~ Sara

Rescue from the shelter that displayed these symptoms within 48 hours – my first thought was Parvo. My vet diagnosed Campylobactor bacteria. It is communicable to humans. The dog was placed on IV treatment for a week because he couldn't hold down the medication orally and it cost me about $800, but it wasn't Parvo. It is usually treated with Flagyl. This often infects shelters and all dogs are euthanized because they assume Parvo and don't test because it is more expensive than euthanizing.

CDC Article
    Sharon C. Thompson
    shar0nct@columbus.rr.com

From: Volunteers-owner@pcarescue.org [mailto:Volunteers-owner@pcarescue.org] On Behalf Of Judy Burke
    Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:38 AM
    Subject: [Volunteers] OT, deadly Parvo-like virus

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the off topic posting, but this is important. Just wanted to give you a heads up on a deadly Parvo-like virus that is sweeping our area in So Cal. Although all of my dogs are vaccinated, and all are seniors, 2 have come down with the strange Parvo-like illness. 2 Nights ago, I awoke to Pickles vomiting. Since he doesn't have teeth, he often will vomit whole pieces of kibble if he over indulges, and he was still waggin his tail and eating, so I cleaned it up and went back to sleep. In the morning, I found formed, but loose stools in the yard. By yesterday afternoon, I saw blood drops in the stool and one of my other paps, Bunny, also vomited. Her tummy was distended and tender. Both were starting to shaking and whimper. The symptoms came on sudden and fast and they both seemed to deteriorate right before my eyes. I took both of their temperatures and both were elevated, so I called my vet and they saw us immediately. By the time we reached the vets office, both dogs were lying listless. I was told that over the past week, they have been seeing 5-6 cases per day of confirmed old strain Parvo, and another 4-5 cases per day of a new strain that does not indicate on the Parvo test, however is more virulent and very fast to kill. All these cases were in otherwise healthy dogs that had been vaccinated. I spoke to a woman who had just lost 2 young healthy dogs within 24 hours of onset of symptoms. Fortunately, I noticed that mine were not well, and we caught it in time. They both received 100cc SQ fluids(they looked like bumpy creatures), regalin, long acting antibiotics and a pain medication. I also too home ragalin and flagyl which they will be on for 7 days. This morning, I have 2 new dogs, the results have been that quick. Our other pap, Lady J, has shown no symptoms whatsoever, but we are keeping a sharp eye on her.

They tell me that we most likely tracked in the virus just from walking around. We could have picked it up in a grocery store, walking to the mail box, anywhere! It could have even blown in with dust on one of our frequently windy days. Please keep an eye on your dogs and seek help immediately if they show stomach distress or loose stools, lack of appetite, etc.

Our dogs are doing great now, but it was scary at how quickly they went down hill.
    Best wishes to you all.
    Sheryl Gardner
    Hesperia, CA
    Eileen
    Rody Jane, the Totally Bionic Flying Stinkwad
    Allentine Valentine Porky-pine Hooverstein (Sir Barks-a-Lot)
    TwoLane "Tappy-Tail" Truckpuppy
    Carpe Ossium - "Seize the Bone"

Default Re: Campylobactor bacteria - Parvo look-alike

Eileen,

Thanks so much for posting this, I'll definitely mention this to my vet if any of my pups start having those types of symptoms.
    Beth and the boys, Darcy & Cody and Princess Hannah
    and Denny & Snuffles waiting at The Bridge

Default Re: Campylobactor bacteria - Parvo look-alike

Thanks so much for the warning Eileen!
    Karen, mom of Murray
    [SIGPIC]