PDA

View Full Version : Cross country skiing and a Cattle dog

Zaniac
02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
:s4: Just not a good idea

This morning I decided Zane might like to go x-c skiing with me. I have some old skis I haven't been on in 7 years so I dug them out and headed to the park. Zane was really good at first, as I was trying to figure out how the hell I used to do this sport, he jogged along sniffing things. While I struggled to get up the steeps (navigating through deep snow on the side of a steep hill sideways with slippery sticks on your feet, who invented this sport?) he patiently waited for me at the top. Then came the down hill part. My favorite, since it's the only part I seem to remember how to do and since my snowsport of choice these days is snowboarding, I love going down hill. Zane doesn't feel the same though. He stopped on the hill, looked up at me coming toward him, crouched down, sprang forward and launched himself into my chest. You can use your imagination for the rest of the story. I think he figures downhill is dangerous and i needed his help to slow me down. He probably wonders why I was so ungrateful!! After all, he saved my life, right? LOL, I was so mad!! When he got the picture that I didn't want him stopping me, he started to herd me down the hill, biting my heels and then coming around for a nip in the front (he jumps up and bites me in the chest for this maneuver). Finally he got it that that wasn't acceptable to me either and by the end, he ran on ahead and got the hell out of the way. Smart dog.
:s1:

sierrasuenos
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
:120104laughter01: :giggle: :rofl: That was too funny!!!

Dominique
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
:010105c_laugh: :120104laughter01: :rofl: Thank you that made my day.

Boots Ma
02-19-2007, 03:37 PM
:010105c_laugh: Boy, that was really funny! I'm glad you made it through without hurting yourself. I can just picture the whole thing. Boot jumps around like a nut when I practice my dancing. If I were on skis(another lifetime), I'd never let him near me. I'm glad Zane caught on quickly and you're in one piece.

Kay

2speckledblue
02-19-2007, 04:21 PM
So funny! At least, you have snow to play in. I wanted to start skijoring with my girl, Dusty, this winter but central MN where we live is virtually snow free. I coached xc skiing for 12 years and my skis haven't been out yet this year. I was so looking forward to another activity for Dusty and me together. We even have a dog welcome ski trail, Balto's Loop, nearby. Well, she's still young (but I'm not) so maybe next winter will be better.
Josie

LadyLaw
02-19-2007, 05:00 PM
What a good dogger, trying to protect his mom! Maybe you should get a big old trash can lid, or something, so the two of you could go sledding together? He might really learn to love going downhill :-)

Nevada001
02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
OMG Sara:010105c_laugh:

Really got a good laugh from your fun day in the snow. He just wanted to be involved any way he could. Did anyone get pictures?

Jean & Girls

NHCD33
02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
What I would give for photos. Glad you are both safe.

SshieldsSF
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
just be careful with the edges of the skiis..i have seen lots of dogs get sliced up by them. susan

michael
02-20-2007, 01:20 AM
We've taken Patches nordic skiing several times. He seems to love running and rolling in the snow. One problem: in deep powder, especially when he is getting tired of sinking down and jumping, he keeps trying to get on the back of the skis. He does this when snowshoeing as well.

I do worry about running into him on downhills. I am training him to get out of the way when I yell, "hey! hey! hey!" When jogging I yell that and kick a little gravel up at him. As soon as he moves I praise him. I hope to have this procedure down in time for mountain biking season;-)