PDA

View Full Version : Murphy & Diesel

Riddick
01-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Well today our son came home for what could be called a whistle stop visit. It will be less than a 24 hour stay. Though for the first time they bought their dog Diesel with them. He is a German Shepard and well and truely in every area bigger than my boy. Opps sorry a sort of lie as Murphy is way more solid.
Well we bought both dogs together on the lead and Deisel wanted nothing to do with my boy and he was actually doing his best to fight him. So we decided to let the leads on both go.
As I have heard that when a dog is on the lead it knows it has nowhere to go and this brings out their fears of being attacked, and on this occassion it was like that. Diesel was doing his best to have a go at Murphy, and Murphy was standing up for himself so this I thought was good.

So the leads were dropped and then the leads were taken off and I have to say it was only like under a minute and they had sorted themselves out. Deisel had proven to Murphy he was the boss in this relationship and Murphy surended to him.
So some doggy edicate was just delivered to Murphy and I was pleased that he understood it.

Then They played in a roughish way but not to any area where it was going to be a fight. Then Murphy with what I think was superior strenght tried to hump Diesel and Murphy was actually pushing him to the ground.

So it was a win for him and a win for Deisel on the other front.
So here is a photo of them once they has camled down a lot.5569

Mel2001
01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm glad Diesel and Murphy sorted things out on their own, and great photo! Diesel is quite the hairy GSP! I love how Murphy is lowering his ears/head and tail to show submission, too.

Riddick
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
That is what I noticed to. He got that lesson of eddicate from Diesel.
And this is something we can't teach them they have to learn that from other dogs.
When the son got Diesel he got the darkest faced pup they had and he is doing well in his education thing.
The photo doesn't show it but Diesel could do with a little more weight, but apart from that he is a good dog.

sspike
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
i love when i learn these things on this forum .
it never dawned on me about the leashing.
it makes perfect sense
for instance :
my woody , when in my work truck , if he sees another daog , and growls barks , and goes nuts like he wants to kill that dog.
but if i take him out , he goes up to the dog , with hair all raised up , and after sniffing , and meeting , he always wants to play , ( woody always becomes the summissive dog of the two),
my wifes mom brings her dog over , she is always terrified our dogs will attack her dogs ( a mini-schnauwzer)
all get anxious , and mom , never will beleive she is adding to the problem , she only feels she is saving her dog.
of course al the dogs do rush to see the new guy just coming in .
we constantly tell her " mom , just put " bella " down . they`ll work it out . but instinctively she will never trust they will.
even though there are about 4 or 5 other dogs amongst the families and they all get along , she will just never trust them.even when her dog is not at my house , she`ll warn me about the two there rough-playing " you better watch them! they`re gonna hurt each other!" " you should put one of them in another room!"
i`m gonna show her this article

littleroads
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
I think it doesn't hurt to be cautious - and know your dog and know the body language of them and the dogs they encounter. My Allentine loves smaller females, but he doesn't like male dogs, and he doesn't like bigger dogs; with a small dog he will be alert, but ears up, tail wagging, and wanting to play, whereas with a male or bigger dog, his hackles go up, the ears go back and he gets a bit "whale-eyed"...so I'm always really cautious with him around new dogs. "Most" times, dogs can work it out off-leash, but I wouldn't automatically trust mine with all dogs, on leash or off.

Riddick
01-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I will soon be taking Murphy to a friends place who has a 3 year old Border Collie.
I think that thing may be a little different as Murphy will have the superior weight.
And on that to I would say his strenght will be also higher. So I wll have to watch him and be ready to hold Murphy down.
One thing I think is a way to do it is to hold our dogs and let one sniff the others butt then do the same but the other way around.
This is supposed to be a way for them to get to know each other. Hope it works as we both have got bad backs.

When the dogs were together and working out who is where on the tree.
I noticed that Murphy was running towards the wife as she was real close.
I told her to hold him there for a while while our sone took hold of his dog.
From what I have learnt is when your dog goes back to you in this situation it is looking for back up from you.
And doing this I think made things level out a lot quicker.

Jake&Tex
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
...so I'm always really cautious with him around new dogs. "Most" times, dogs can work it out off-leash, but I wouldn't automatically trust mine with all dogs, on leash or off.

I certainly agree. How you introduce new dogs ought to depend on the dogs in question. For me, Tex is my butt-head - a sensitive dog with a history of fear-reactivity towards other dogs.

I have recently had the opportunity to introduce a new dog into our pack (hope there will be more to talk about on that soon ;)) , and would bet that if I just dumped he and Tex together, someone may have gotten hurt. I have to do things in baby steps, or risk an ugly reaction and many steps backwards in our training!

Jake&Tex
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I will soon be taking Murphy to a friends place who has a 3 year old Border Collie.
I think that thing may be a little different as Murphy will have the superior weight.
And on that to I would say his trenght will be also higher. So I wll have to watch him and be ready to hold Murphy down.
One thing I think is a way to do it is to hold our dogs and let one sniff the others butt then do the same but the other way around.
This is supposed to be a way for them to get to know each other. Hope it works as we both have got bad backs.

Do you mean that you are planning to hold Murphy in your arms while the other person holds their BC in their arms, and then hold Murphy to the BC's butt to allow them to meet? If so, I wish you luck with that! :-) I think that if he was already showing frustration while being restrained with the leash that he will be even more frustrated when you restrain him further.

If you are worried about them interacting, then don't put them together (or close to each other) right away. Walk them apart (far enough away that they're not lunging and carrying on) and walk in the same direction until they calm down and you can get closer and closer.

Riddick
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Do you mean that you are planning to hold Murphy in your arms while the other person holds their BC in their arms, and then hold Murphy to the BC's butt to allow them to meet? If so, I wish you luck with that! :-) I think that if he was already showing frustration while being restrained with the leash that he will be even more frustrated when you restrain him further.

If you are worried about them interacting, then don't put them together (or close to each other) right away. Walk them apart (far enough away that they're not lunging and carrying on) and walk in the same direction until they calm down and you can get closer and closer.
I can see why you are thinking this is bad.
What I am saying is that Murphy might go over board with the Border Collie and this is where I would have to control him.
And this control would be me getting him on the lead so the Border Collie can rest.
Murphy is just full on, and he has no stop button. So I hope this has cleared that up a little more.
And the other part is what I have heard to do.
And this is to let the other dog smell the butt of another dog and visa versa. I have heard it is a way to get them to accept eachother.
I have never done it but I have read it