PDA

View Full Version : Blue ate a bag of rat food.

kanis
12-14-2011, 11:33 PM
So Blue ate a bag of compressed rat pellets. Mostly they are corn and alfalfa but she ate 1.5lbs. She has gone to the bathroom twice (solid thankfully) but her belly is bulging. She drank all her bowl of water, then all the toilet water (I was really confused as to why it was empty). When we got home we didn't notice right away that she had eaten them and we refilled her water and she drank all that too. She wants more but were afraid to give her more. I am afraid they will just keep expanding if I give her water, but if I don't they will be dry and hard to pass. Any rules of thumb? Has anyone had this problem.

littleroads
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Call an emergency vet and ask what they think the best thing to do would be. I would think it would be dangerous to give her more water as it will expand those pellets...DON'T WAIT if her belly is bulging...

dingoblu
12-15-2011, 12:18 AM
You might want to watch for signs of bloat and limit her water intake.

kanis
12-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Well she defiantly just gave a large belch. She is not trying to vomit but her belly is full. We are keeping a close eye on her.

I am so mad at myself for leaving the food out. We had the rats in their "play pen". I gave each of the rats a pellet and I left the bag on the floor in a box with all the rat toys.

Kracker
12-15-2011, 05:34 AM
I hope blue is doing fine. But I have to say I can totaly see our Lucy doing this same thing lol rp

Riddick
12-15-2011, 07:17 AM
What a scarey story.
i would have frecked right out if this happened to my boy.
Hope all is well now.

Linda Watkins
12-15-2011, 08:08 AM
How is she doing?

It's likely too late for this now, but I guess one thing you could have done is induce vomiting - best thing though would be to check w/ emergency vet first.

Only thing I know of that would induce vomiting that we all usually have on hand is hydrogen peroxide - and I'm not sure you'd want to mix that w/ rat food.

jomarie6466
12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Hope she will be ok.

GingerSnap
12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I hope Blue is doing well - please let us know.

Beth99
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Hoping Blue is okay today, please update when you can. :)

gwynkb
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
sheesh hope Blue is ok! .....

kanis
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
We were up all night which was horrible because I had a final this morning (but I guess it serves me right because I left the food out). We set the alarm to go off every hour so we could check on her and let her out to potty. I think she went every time right before the alarm went off :cry:. She also didn't tell us she had to go out!

This morning her belly was pretty much back to normal she vomited right as we were leaving to take our finals but I think it was my fault because I gave her some fortiflora (sp?) to help the diarrhea and about 1/4 cup of rice.

Also it turns out Cowgirl got some to. Not as much but she also has diarrhea. This means Blue didn't get as much as I thought (she still got more than Cow) and "thankfully" it was spread out between the two of them.

I am not looking forward the mess when we get home. I didn't want to leave her but we both had finals this morning and Kevin is almost done. We will watch for dehydration which is my biggest concern right now. I think now we just need to let it pass through. If it does not get any better by mid afternoon we will take her to the vet.

Thanks for all your concerns! I am so mad at myself! Blue gets into stuff so I should no better. We bought all new Tupperware so she couldn't get into stuff, we put weird things in the fridge so she can't get them, and she STILL finds something. Oh man just wait till we have kids! It is going to be hard to keep stuff away from her. Our friends were over the other day and one of our friends set a cupcake on his stomach while he was looking at a book and she took it! She would never do that to us but she sees opportunity and just rolls with it.

Allison HB
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Don't feel bad that you can't find trouble as quickly as an ACD. My Pika once ate an entire Stouffer's Party Size Lasagna (the ones that seem to weigh about 5 lbs). I had just pulled it out of the oven, got a phone call, got distracted and then had to leave for volunteer library duty, and left the huge pan covered and way back on the stove. Came home to find the tin on the floor with only the stuck-on burned bottom layer left. I never saw Pika even try to counter surf as she always had hip/spine issues, and have no idea just how she reached it. While at a dog sitter's she once stole a partially defrosted package of Costco bacon...a 2 pound package...and ate it all including part of the wrapper. We waited for the mess but nothing happened and she was hungry that night as usual.

kanis
12-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Haha Counter surfing! I like that terminology. Ours counter serf. It makes life so much more difficult. They wait until we are gone (we have found paw prints on the stove) to try but apparently don't care about other people seeing them do it. I went outside briefly when we had friends over, I came back in, and my friend asked me if the dogs normally jumped on the counter. That was embarrassing.

redcattle
12-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Croydon ate some poisonous snail pellets ones we only used in an enclosed area that Croydon or Brock could not get into however my ex husband accidentally left them on the ground luckily we found him eating the pellets the vet induced vommiting so easily by putting something in his eye and it came up within minutes maybe it is too late for that now but if he is still expanding it might be the way to go Anne and Croydon

TexasCDLorenz
12-16-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm glad your dogs are OK! One of my dogs once got into some bird pellets & ate the whole 20lb bag! My DH (the D doesn't stand for dear) keeps his bird feed in a back building, but my dog not only got the latch to the back gate open, but the latch to the door of the feed room! Amazing how inventive dogs can get when food is the reward! She bloated and almost died. If you even think the dog might be bloating, don't try and induce vomiting or give any water! The worse thing you can do is to give water! Bloat is an extreme emergency that requires a vet & usually surgery! Glad your dogs are getting the pellets out of their systems. Sounds like they will be OK. Better a mess to clean up, than a dog in surgery fighting for its life!

surfengine
12-17-2011, 02:04 AM
you know how it is when you're jsut scanning the headlines to see if something catches your interest and sometimes you dont fully read the words?
well I thought it said "rat poison" because I never considered that there was food for rats. then i was reading 1.5lbs...and I was like WTF!!

thank goodness it was rat food

kanis
12-17-2011, 02:16 AM
Ok crisis over. Blue is 100% back to normal. She is getting a bath so she can sleep with us again. I think she thought sleeping downstairs was the worst punishment in the world.

Snail pellets?

kanis
12-17-2011, 02:57 AM
you know how it is when you're jsut scanning the headlines to see if something catches your interest and sometimes you dont fully read the words?
well I thought it said "rat poison" because I never considered that there was food for rats. then i was reading 1.5lbs...and I was like WTF!!

thank goodness it was rat food

Yea we have pet rats. Oh man I am so glad it wasnt rat poison! Every time we have moved we have frond rat poison! We scoure new places now and ask previous tenants if they have put poison out. Many rat poisons contains excessive amounts of vitiman K. When an animal eats the poison it prevents blood from clotting properly. This means every little bump or bruise that an animal takes after eating the poison fails to clot and the animal essentially bleeds to death usually internally. If I even suspected poison the dogs would be at the vet before I could blink! Same with medications. Many people don't realize dogs can't have aspirin. Sadly when I worked at the vet clinic most people brought their dogs in after it was too late simply because they thought a few ibuprofen wouldn't hurt.

HKFaith
12-17-2011, 12:17 PM
WHEW! So glad that Blue is doing OK! It's amazing what cattle dogs *think* is a good idea to eat!

Many rat poisons contains excessive amounts of vitiman K.

To clarify, rat poisons contain anticoagulants, not Vitamin K. Vitamin K is the treatment, which aids in normal clotting. A poisoned dog will often be prescribed Vitamin K for several weeks after ingestion. :)

And Aspirin in small amounts is OK for dogs, but Ibuprofen is not. They are not the same medication. We have a few clients who give Aspirin short-term for musculoskeletal injuries, etc. - usually clients who can not afford some of the vet-only meds. Ibuprofen will often cause severe gastrointestinal damage, and should never be used in pets. The best bet is to use veterinary approved NSAIDS only. :)

kanis
12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
woops got that backwords.

Well the vet clinic I worked at said no to both. One of the clients gave their poodle baby asprin and the dog got really sick 95% of her liver shut down. I was always told no to both.

Allison HB
12-20-2011, 04:54 PM
That's odd. At the suggestion of several of my past vets I have given my dogs an occasional buffered aspirin (Ecotrin or Bufferin) to treat pain and there was no problem at all. Of course this wasn't long term treatment, just to get through a painful day or so. They told me ibuprofen or Tylenol were not safe. Maybe some dogs or breeds are more sensitive?