PDA

View Full Version : Scare!!

Cathee23
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I have had Dolly for 4 1/2 months now and she is slowing coming out of her shell but still scares easy. I met my boyfriend in a small town to give him his textbook (finals week for us) that he had left at my house. I took Dolly with me on the 20 minute drive. When the backdoor of the car shut, Dolly got scared and bolted out of the front door. She ran next door to an empty lot, then ran across the highway to unfenced lot. So there we went calling after her and running through people's property. She ran through the back of someone's property, and we lost sight of her as she entered a wooded lot. I was so scared, as we kept calling and looking for her I was afraid we weren't going to find her. I was upset because I should have shut the front door of the car so she couldn't run out. Finally we found an abandoned house and we thought to look underneath it, and through my tear filled eyes I saw the tips of her ears. I crawled under the house and got her safely on the leash. I have never been so worried.

GingerSnap
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
OMD! Soooooo glad you found her safe (physically at least). I have jumpy rescue as well. She has definitely become calmer with the years but the right noise can still send her zooming away (being 1/2 whippet, she can really fly).

dingoridge
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank goodness, Cathee you got her. Losing a dog is a terrible thing, it haunts your mind night and day (much less the trauma to the dog).
J

Cathee23
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes, I was so nervous and upset because it could have been prevented. I had no idea she would keep running the way she did. She didn't even look back at us when we were calling her. This really opened my eyes, I thought she was doing better and this shows that while she is making some progress we still have a long way to go.

jomarie6466
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
That is a hard lesson to learn, but thankfully, had a good ending. I take shy dogs in my rescue because I enjoy working with them and I always assume they will run if scared. I had a foster puppy mill dog get loose and run from my son's girl friend and then the second time from my son while they were living at my house. It was terrifying because she was gone for 52 hrs the first time in the dead of winter. She came back on her own and did the same the second time. I ended up adopting her and she is much better now, but it has taken 3 years and I still don't trust her completely.

Linda Watkins
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm so glad you found her & were able to get her out of her hidey hole!

Even dogs who are not afraid will sometimes bolt out of a car - a friend of mine had that happen - they'd been out all day and got home & the dog was pooped - wouldn't even get out of the car to go into the house. The car door was open, my friend turned her back and her dog leaped out of the car to run across the street to see another dog - she has NEVER shown any interest in doing such a thing in the 4 years Amy's had her. Bad part is that she ran right in front of an SUV - she survived, no permanent damage, but it was a frightening lesson for all.

I've gotten into the habit of never leaving a car door open if my dogs are in the car -nor a window down far enough they can jump out - you just never know!

Cathee23
12-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes from now on, no door or window is left open. The frustrating part is when I come home from a trip with her, she comes out of the car by herself and stands next to me or sniffs around and runs up to the house door waiting to go in. Her runaway behavior was very unexpected.

jomarie6466: Do you have any advice for working with shy dogs?

jomarie6466
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
You can pee mail me on this site if you have any questions or I can give you my private email. I would also never have your dog off leash yet outside, just to be safe.

BallewsNC
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Our rescue ACD bolted from the car without a leash first week we had her when we took her to a park for playtime. The "Wait" the "OK" commands was first we started working on to master. She was fast to master - no shock. I use it over and over all day - food, front door, back door, going for a walk and car travel etc.

So glad all ended well. :-)

havekissedfrogs
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
My dog Tallulah has been taught to never jump out of the car until I say OK. Even then I wouldn't leave the car door or windows open when I'm not right there. I know someone who comes to a dog park that we often go to, and she told me that one day while driving there with the car window down, her small dog saw something and jumped out the window, got hit by another car and killed. :cry: A similar thing happened to me many years ago with a dog I had recently adopted from a shelter. I left the dog in my parked car with the window down while I ran across the street to a store. The dog jumped out the window into oncoming traffic, got hit by a car and survived thank goodness, but had a broken jaw which cost me a lot of money at the vet. We all learn these lessons the hard way, it seems. Always be very careful.

Linda Watkins
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
The frustrating part is when I come home from a trip with her, she comes out of the car by herself and stands next to me or sniffs around and runs up to the house door waiting to go in. Her runaway behavior was very unexpected.

This was a break from the routine though. And that's when they go into panic mode.

havekissedfrogs
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I agree with Linda, a routine makes them feel more comfortable. They know what to expect. When you change that regular routine, be extra careful with them, so that they don't get panicked.

Brunella
12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
My dogs are either crated or seat belted in the car. It's just not a risk MY heart could take. So glad it all turned out okay, I can feel your panic.

Jan and John at Chevland
12-14-2011, 07:27 PM
There's a few good tips here people - thankyou. I'm fostering a little border collie cross girl at present for AWDRI - and she is VERY timid. Improving daily in small increments, but I will have to be very cautious. Poor baby freaks at any unfamiliar noise or movement. We suspect she's seen the end of a boot more than once in her young life.

dingoblu
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Premier Easy Fit Harness and Car Control Strap. The harnesses have a ring on the belly strap that you can clip the car strap to so its more comfortable for the dog, and the strap just slips over the seatbelt strap. You can adjust the length of the strap as well. Keeps them from jumping around and acting foolish in the back seat too. I'm driving around 2 dogs in a chevy cavalier so crating really isn't an option for me.

Cathee23
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
That's exactly how Dolly was when we brought her home. We have had her for 4 1/2 months and she is slowly getting better.

redcattle
12-16-2011, 03:34 AM
I will tell you a funny story well it was not funny to me at the time when Croydon was about 4 months old one night I was alone at home David my ex was away for work and Croydon got out the front screen door at that stage it was an old wooden type off in the distance in the marshes at the rear of our property I could hear him it was pitch black I called the police I worked with in a panic to help me I needed torches in the end there were 4 police and me and then a police dog walking miles through the marshes trying to find Croydon it was like a major operation I was worried he had gone after a kangaroo and it may have slashed him which they can do to dogs especially him a puppy finally we heard this panting and there he was all tangled in vines and stuck in the mud up to his neck. Then we didnt know where we were far off in the distance we could see a light we headed there 5 police me, croydon and a police dog we ended up in someones yard gave them the shock of their life we were 7 streets away from our house when we emerged all covered in mud and vines I was all scratched I only had a singlet type knee lenght top on what an ordeal but looking back on it it was like a major police operation lucky I was a cop or I wouldnt have got the help from my co workers but can you just picture it the Inspector on duty always made a joke of it saying he was just about to deploy the helicopter from Sydney I was in such a panic the whole time but now its funny Anne and Croydon

FancyPantz
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm so glad you found her & were able to get her out of her hidey hole!

Even dogs who are not afraid will sometimes bolt out of a car - a friend of mine had that happen - they'd been out all day and got home & the dog was pooped - wouldn't even get out of the car to go into the house. The car door was open, my friend turned her back and her dog leaped out of the car to run across the street to see another dog - she has NEVER shown any interest in doing such a thing in the 4 years Amy's had her. Bad part is that she ran right in front of an SUV - she survived, no permanent damage, but it was a frightening lesson for all.

I've gotten into the habit of never leaving a car door open if my dogs are in the car -nor a window down far enough they can jump out - you just never know!

Linda- Lily was a bit of a runner in her youth. She would run up to the chain link fence, throw herself at it and cling with all her paws, then when the fence stopped shaking, she would climb up using the holes in the chain link and hop over. The fence was 4 feet high, but as small as she is, you would have thought it would have stopped her. She only did it a few times. Once was to chase a girl who tormented her by riding her bike by and hitting my fence with a stick over and over. Her parents called animal control, I knew the officer and when I told him why the girl was chased, he said to hold on and he would be right back. Fortunately the little girl had good parents and they made her come up the street with the officer and applogize for all the tormenting she had done. No charges were brought against Lily. Another time was when the next door neighbor put out his left overs. She must have smelled the food. When I got to her, she had a whole baked potato in her mouth and was NOT giving it up!!