PDA

View Full Version : A few issues I'm having with Helix

Helix
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a 4.5 month old Blue Heeler named Helix. He's overall a great dog now that he and his partner "Clutch" quit eating the siding off the house and other things, like my $800 coffee table! No!! and replace with a chewie or toy fixed that.

Clutch is coming up on 6 months and was here at the house about 6 weeks before Helix. We let our dogs play together all the time, they play fight a lot, chase eachother all over the house and then wind down, licking eachothers ears and falling asleep next to eachother, it's so cute. They are for sure best friends and crazy about eachother. They always want to rough house and play together and are about even as far as play fighting. Helix is 6 weeks younger but recently bigger than Clutch.

So the differences.

1. Clutch is crazy about my roommate Taylor, like super attached, cries when he leaves the room attached. Helix is happy being around me, my little brother or my roommate. Everyone says hes attached to me but he's not crazy attached to me like my roommates dog is to him. Kinda bugs me because they play together so my dog is always with my roommate and his dog in their room. How can I fix this or will he just come around?

2. Helix does tricks pretty well. He can sit, lay, roll over, speak, back up, play dead, shake, high five, stay, wait and come pretty much perfectly. Impresses everyone. He's very very food driven and goes crazy for his food and treats. I cant even say food if he's around or he's right there, ready to eat and forget a pb&j sandwhich, he sees that jar and goes nuts! The only thing he doesnt do is fetch all the time. He will do it a couple of times and then just take whatever item it is and go chew on it. Drives me nuts because my roommates dog (Clutch) who is about 6 weeks older is a ball/frisbee freak. He will play ball for hours if you keep throwing it. I really want a dog that I can play fetch with and I've tried several different ways and many training sessions to get him to do this. Any secrets to make him fetch and bring back everytime? Now an issue might be that my roommate throws the ball a lot around both dogs, Clutch is faster so he generally gets the ball and Helix play defensive and tries to take the ball away from Clutch with little success and if he does, Helix doesnt really bring the ball back. Also it seems lately that Helix will just sit there while the ball is thrown and bark with excitement but then just waits for Clutch to bring the ball back. He's a smart dog so I dont see what the deal is?

3. Clutch is leaner and more adult looking ever since a puppy, ears have never been down and he has a ton of energy. Helix is a little thicker and is going to be much bigger judging by the size of his paws, he looks like a puppy still and still has one floppy ear. I feed him Wellness Super 5 mix at 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, 3 x a day depending on how many treats he's had that day. Taylor uses that Blue Buffalo natural evolutionary diet food but I read on Amazon that the Super 5 was better as far as reviews. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I know that's a lot to answer and appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out.

Allison HB
09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
So the differences.

1. Clutch is crazy about my roommate Taylor, like super attached, cries when he leaves the room attached. Helix is happy being around me, my little brother or my roommate. Everyone says hes attached to me but he's not crazy attached to me like my roommates dog is to him. Kinda bugs me because they play together so my dog is always with my roommate and his dog in their room. How can I fix this or will he just come around?

2. Helix does tricks pretty well. He can sit, lay, roll over, speak, back up, play dead, shake, high five, stay, wait and come pretty much perfectly. Impresses everyone. He's very very food driven and goes crazy for his food and treats. I cant even say food if he's around or he's right there, ready to eat and forget a pb&j sandwhich, he sees that jar and goes nuts! The only thing he doesnt do is fetch all the time. He will do it a couple of times and then just take whatever item it is and go chew on it. Drives me nuts because my roommates dog (Clutch) who is about 6 weeks older is a ball/frisbee freak. He will play ball for hours if you keep throwing it. I really want a dog that I can play fetch with and I've tried several different ways and many training sessions to get him to do this. Any secrets to make him fetch and bring back everytime? Now an issue might be that my roommate throws the ball a lot around both dogs, Clutch is faster so he generally gets the ball and Helix play defensive and tries to take the ball away from Clutch with little success and if he does, Helix doesnt really bring the ball back. Also it seems lately that Helix will just sit there while the ball is thrown and bark with excitement but then just waits for Clutch to bring the ball back. He's a smart dog so I dont see what the deal is?

3. Clutch is leaner and more adult looking ever since a puppy, ears have never been down and he has a ton of energy. Helix is a little thicker and is going to be much bigger judging by the size of his paws, he looks like a puppy still and still has one floppy ear. I feed him Wellness Super 5 mix at 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, 3 x a day depending on how many treats he's had that day. Taylor uses that Blue Buffalo natural evolutionary diet food but I read on Amazon that the Super 5 was better as far as reviews. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I know that's a lot to answer and appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out.

First thing to remember is, no dog is a carbon copy of another. Clutch and Helix may be motivated by slightly different things because they are not identical. I don't see anything wrong with Helix and he is still really young. Actually, Helix may end up being a little easier to live with because he seems a bit less driven than Clutch. If he is also a little more easy going (not as clingy) that may be a good thing too. I also think that in the presence of a more high drive dog Helix is showing some reserve or "respect". Fine...he's got a good brain.

An example: my ACD Pika had neighborhood dog buddies who were fanatic ball retrievers. She would join in, but the other dogs were faster, bigger, more aggressive, and would just take over. She soon decided not to pursue the ball when they were part of the game. I did notice she learned it was more fun to herd THEM as they went after the ball instead, and this was her talent. If I took her somewhere else she would fetch and play with me completely happy. It was me she wanted to please. She wouldn't fetch endlessly, after all, an ACD will get bored doing the same thing over and over without a break. Pika was a medium drive dog, showed moderation in her life, and was a joy to live with. My suggestion? Plan on spending more time with Helix away from your roommate and Clutch so your own private relationship grows stronger. You will find just what Helix loves, you can reward him for the things YOU want him to do, he'll learn what you want from him, and the expected competition between the dogs (for toys, for attention, etc) will be less important.

Don't think the food has anything to do with their differences.

autiger23
09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
My boy Buck got pretty bored with fetching when he was that age, too. By 9 months, he would fetch constantly until he tired, then he'd take a break and be ready to play again. He likes squeaker balls way more than any others, though. My girl Scout is a ball freak and will get way too ramped up playing. If you make her take a break, she shrieks at you to throw it. At which point I have to cease play altogether. Also, Buck will stop with the ball and go play with another dog when it gets put up. A neighbor's Border Collie won't have anything to do with anything or anyone as long as her frisbee is nearby. I'd much rather have the less driven dog.

What kind of dog is Clutch? Helix looks like all the 4.5 month old cattle dogs I've seen. Proper size and shape. Buck started getting 'range-y' looking at about 6-7 months, but he's also too 'skinny' for a cattle dog.

Better to have a dog that's not so crazy attached for sure. I'd section him off from the roommate's dog to get him to bond more effectively with you. You just need to be as interesting as the other puppy to him. Take him on some walks with just the two of you and practice his tricks while you are out on the walk. That'll give him a job that doesn't involve the other dog and you'll start to see his seriousness and focus as he matures.

akllamamama
09-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I'd section him off from the roommate's dog to get him to bond more effectively with you. You just need to be as interesting as the other puppy to him. Take him on some walks with just the two of you and practice his tricks while you are out on the walk. That'll give him a job that doesn't involve the other dog and you'll start to see his seriousness and focus as he matures.

I would agree with this. We had the same issue with Pongo being more bonded to our 11 year old Lab than us. We separated them for a while: walking each separately, play time separately, feeding separately, everything was separate. We really had to make ourselves WAY more interesting than our Lab. It took some time but Pongo is now very bonded with us and looks to us for direction and fun rather than our Lab. He actually has very little to do with our Lab now but I think she is more than OK with that. :lol:

It took Pongo almost 2 years to get the fetch thing down. He would do the same thing Helix is doing. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden one day it clicked and he now is loves to play fetch with the ball and frisbee. Thankfully, he is not annoyingly ball crazy.

autiger23
09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
We separated them for a while: walking each separately, play time separately, feeding separately, everything was separate.I still feed and walk mine separately even though my dogs are 4.5 and 3.5 years old. I think they need that time with just *you*, and I also think it helps them keep it clear in their mind exactly who the pack leader is. If you have many dogs it's not feasible, but if you only have two, it's really not that much more time to give them alone time. There are plenty of ways that you make your pack leader status clear daily, but them getting to spend time with just you gives you more time to devote your attention to just one. My dogs really crave that individual time and Scout especially is a different (much more serious) dog when she's not around Buck.

sspike
09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
you know every dog we had in our house, whether they were the 3 or 4 i had , or the ones i bought for my son , or daughter , usually ended up coming to me more than them .
i`m the first one up , i`d take them out , i`d play with them , when everyone else would just leave them be .
so the dog/s always sought me out because i was the one usually doing something around the house , or showed them more of what " they " wanted .
your dog probably just sees your room mate as a more interesting play thing.
my son used to get bothered by this , and would tell me not to play with his dog.that didn`t work though .
its up to you to see your dog , and to see what interestes him , and try to keep wanting to seek you out .
my cattle dog " woody' loves me , and he also loves my wife .
during the day , he just has to go where i`m going. at night , or early morning , he hangs with my wife. she calls him and says " come on woddy , i`m going to put on my make-up" and he follows her and sits on the bed and watches her
she gives him special treats . i don`t . i don`t like giving dogs table scaps, but woody knows to look for her for that .
i`m the fun guy , i take him to the park . i bring him anywhere i`m going , and he loves all that moving around.but at night he wants to lay down by my wife , and relax at her speed for a change.

you have to work at it .
its a relationship pure and simple.
you get what you put into it.
don`t anxious/jealous/ agrivated/ insulted .
make special time just for you two alone .
something he can bank on every day that you will do just with him alone .

woody sticks by my side all day . obeys all my commands . but if another dog comes in the picture , i don`t bother comanding to do much , he is way more interested in another dog at times , and i just let it be.as long as he comes when i say " lets go"

work on your relationship. it`ll get better

Helix
09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Ok thank you everyone for the advice and assurance, it helped a lot.

My roommates dog, Clutch is also a Blue Heeler but about 6 months and has his tail.

1st pic was last night and the 2nd was a few months ago. They grow up so fast!

Mel2001
09-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Brad, make sure you read some of the other posts throughout the forum on training. There's a great website called Nothing in Life is Free and teaches the NILIF method, and both Clutch & Helix aren't too young for that. You probably already discovered that you need to stay at least 2-3 steps ahead of this breed, and when they get bored...they get into expensive trouble! Here is the NILIF link:
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Also, just when you think your pups have mastered their training and are well behaved older puppies...then their "toddler" years will kick in, and all that training will seem to have gone out the window.

You're going to get lots of great advice from everyone here, and make sure you give us updates on your the "boys" are doing!

FancyPantz
09-17-2011, 01:54 AM
I love that their noses are touching when they sleep. Very sweet!!!!

sspike
09-17-2011, 04:55 PM
those are 2 cool lookin buddies