PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Advertising - Buster's Story

Belgrael
08-30-2010, 09:42 AM
This is Buster. Buster was in a council pound in southern Brisbane back in late June. Luckily we had a carer available to take him into foster care and he has been up on our website, on our Facebook page and on the PetRescue site as available for adoption.

Each year Pedigree, the dog food company, liaise with PetRescue, to increase pet adoptions and raise awareness through the Pedigree Adoption Drive. This involves public events such as the Yellow Dog Day where cutouts of dogs are placed all around high traffic areas in major cities and people are encouraged to take them home and to meet the rescue dogs that are there as ambassadors for rescue.

In addition a newspaper campaign runs for 4 months during which selected dogs are featured in the Sunday newspaper in each major city. AWDRI (our rescue group, Australian Working Dog Rescue Inc) has had great success with adoptions during this campaign with one or two dogs featuring every week.

The Sunday Mail in Brisbane yesterday was the last one for the year and our blue boy Buster was featured. We had a couple of enquiries and one lady met him today and decided she'd like to trial him so we were organising for a home check combined with a meet & greet at her home when tonight I got a call from a man whose father saw Buster in the paper yesterday and rang him to say that he thought Buster was his dog who went missing 2 months ago.

The fellow rang me to talk about Buster and after some time we agreed that he most likely was his dog that was stolen from his yard and who he had despaired that he would never see again. This guy, Mark, had separated from his wife and moved house and had not yet updated Buster's council registration, so when the pound tried to contact him they got an old phone number. Mark searched for Buster but obviously by the time he got to the pound Mark had stopped looking.

So, pending confirmation of the registration details from the pound, Mark is going to meet his boy at 1:30pm tomorrow at a dog park where his foster carer will take him and all being well he will get to take his boy home with him if he is proven to be his owner. Buster is timid with strangers so if he is happy to see him plus if he matches the photos that Mark is bringing to the meeting, plus if the pound verifies the details, then he is Buster's owner and we will be over the moon at reuniting them.

Stay tuned for photos of them together because I really feel that Mark and Buster will prove to be owner and doggy and will go home together.

I can't wait!!!

http://www.workingdogrescue.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/P1010523.jpg

Mel2001
08-30-2010, 09:55 AM
I hope Buster has a happy ending & is reunited with his rightful owner! That will make another great story for the newspaper!

Way to go, AWDRI!

:pawup:

lauralu
08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Cool story!!!! Can wait to hear how it turns out...

Belgrael
08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
After the pound confirmed the registration details matched I rang Mark, Buster's owner, to give him the good news. Needless to say he was rapt at being reunited with his boy.
This happened yesterday at 1:30pm and according to his foster carer he was over the moon to see his owner. He had always been reticent around strangers but this guy was no stranger.

We are overjoyed at being able to reunite these two and I'll post a photo once his carer emails it through.

Belgrael
09-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Here's Buster with his owner, Mark.

:happytears:

Linda Watkins
09-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Congratulations to everyone involved - esp. Buster & Mark.

I love when rescue helps with something like this - one more reminder of why it's important to give these dogs as much time as possible - we had Iris for almost a year before her family found her - if she'd been left at the shelter, she'd have been put down & they would have never seen her picture.

havekissedfrogs
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I hope that the owner shows appreciation for what the rescue did for them. It would be so nice if they made a generous donation, and got involved in helping rescue other dogs!

Beth99
09-03-2010, 06:56 PM
This is just the best story, crying happy tears:happytears: Thanks for posting this Di, I needed this, it's been a hard rescue day today. Congratulations to Buster and Mark on finding each other again. :)