PDA

View Full Version : House training relapse question....

lucystrauss
08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
My ACD Lucy is 2 years old. We had a hard time house training her when she was a pup, which was mostly our fault because we weren't there to let her out when she needed to. She quickly learned that she could sneak into the front room and "go" on the area rug. We eventually came to our senses and blocked off some of the rooms (the house is big, but fairly open concept, so it's hard to do this!) and we got it under control. Since the rug was $$$$$, we got it steam cleaned with enzymes THREE TIMES before it finally smelled dogless. After that everything was fine....until now.

The past 3 days, Lucy has #2ed on the rug. She hadn't had an accident in about a year (that I can remember) and all of a sudden 3 in 3 days? Do you think she's telling us something? Nothing has changed that I know of. I threw the carpet in the backyard yesterday evening and so far she hasn't gone since. I don't get it, so I was hoping some of you might lend some insight to the situation!! ^^

Jake&Tex
08-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Could she be not feeling well and somehow unable to control it?

lucystrauss
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Could she be not feeling well and somehow unable to control it?

I don't know....she's gone in the yard once and in the park a couple of times and everything seems ok. And to be a little graphic, the stools seem normal - nothing runny and no mucous or anything. Do you think this warrants a visit to the vet or should I just block off the areas at night (she does it in the early morning hours usually) and see if she stops? Usually she comes to wake me up if she has to go at night.

lauralu
08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
This happened with Rusty. Initially the vet told me it was behavioral, but I knew it wasn't because he would run to me and look ashamed when it happened. I insisted they test his poop and it turned out he had giardia. Once he was treated it never happened again. Oh and his poop looked normal too.

lucystrauss
08-09-2009, 11:32 AM
...it turned out he had giardia.

Whoa...that's a bit of a red flag....there is a golden retriever pup in the park down the street that apparently had that not long ago. They didn't make contact that I know of, but I'm not sure of the owner's stoop and scoop habits.... I think I'll make an appt tomorrow to be safe.

competitivek9s
08-09-2009, 03:28 PM
The good thing is giardia is treatable, and for most healthy dogs doesn't cause much problems (in fact, often there are no symptoms and stool looks normal, it's discovered on a routine fecal at the annual exam, etc.)...

lucystrauss
08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I forgot to update this thread....I took lucy to the vet and she tested negative for giardia...the vet also tested for other parasites, but all was clear. I ended up putting the puppy gates again - one at the top of the front stairs and one in the doorway between the front living room and kitchen - so she still has run of the house, except for the front room. She hasn't had an accident since....I've kept the gates up to be safe. Strange, eh?

Ben Bizzy
08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
sounds like she had an oopsie, then got away with it.... all of a sudden, it's OK to poo on the rug, cool!!!!!

just thinking like a dog over here :)