PDA

View Full Version : Tonka got bit!!!

christonka
08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Hello all,
Yes I've been gone for a bit, long story, anywho shawn brough a dog from the Pups on parole program at the prison... she is a great dog listens well, no chewing, house trained knows her commands.. and we've had her for about a week and a few days.. and today out of the blue.. .tonka and her were playing like they do everyday and she bit tonka, on the left front paw right at the "elbow" tonka has 2 puncture wounds on the outside of the leg and 2 on the inside of the leg. tonka is not using the paw. the vet said it didn't need stitches and to just rest it.. what do you all think????
PS WE"VE MISSED YOU ALL:D I LOVE THESE NEW SMILEYS!

TONKA TANK
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/javakittysaussie/DSCI0142.jpg
MISSY!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/javakittysaussie/DSCI0784.jpg

littleroads
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm not a vet tech, but I would think at the very least Tonka should be on antibiotics to prevent infection. And if still not walking on that paw in 24 hours, I'd call the vet back.

Linda Watkins
08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
did it bleed out a bit? That is, I believe, one of the main concerns w/ puncture wounds, that it bleeds out which kind of "cleans" the wound. I'd mainly watch it real close & keep it clean -- even wash it out w/ hydrogen peroxide solution once a day or soak it w/ an antibacterial soap wash, just to be sure. If you see any swelling and draining, call the vet.

And what about Missy? Was that a playing bite, or was it a fight bite? She's a pretty dog...

christonka
08-05-2009, 12:51 AM
yes it bled out a bit, I cleaned it with proxide and then with a "owie" wash I use on my kids lol.. no swelling, it just hurts tonka..
We were watching them and they were playing... she is soo calm and dosile , I don't see her biting for aggresion and No history of aggression from the prison(inmate who trained her for the program for 6 months is able to tell us everything he knows). she is very sweet dog I think play just got out of hand

Linda Watkins
08-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Sounds good -- just keep a close eye on it -- having experienced more dog bites than I'd like, one thing I do know is that there's a lot of trauma to the muscle that we don't see at first -- seems like it takes a day or so for the bruising to come up & then my leg or arm really starts to hurt -- I'm assuming that it's the same for dogs, we just don't see the bruising.

Bluerules
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Aww poor baby she's so effin cute too!! Missy looks lovely I hope the wound heals fast! Maybe she just got so darn excited.. weird

TexasCDLorenz
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I lost a dog to a bone infection in April, so I'm kinda paranoid! I have always just cleaned the wound with betadine and kept an eye on it. I don't like to use antibiotics for every little thing, but now I've re-thought that decision when it comes to deep bites. I thought my dog had arthritis (she was old) The vet did too! We treated her for arthritis, all the while the infection was growing in her body and invaded her bones! A foster, only half her size had attacked her, but I thought her bites were healed. They healed on top, but they were deeper than I thought, the infection got into her bones. I will always wonder if I had caught the infection right away, if she would still be with me.
A friend of my husbands had been bit on the arm when he picked up a stray Pitt. This happened right about the time my dog died, so he got scared and went to the emergency room- which turned out to be a good thing- he too, had developed a really nasty infection. (the dog was already kenneled, and turned out to not be sick- so no rabies shots were given) But- better safe than sorry! I've had more than my share of dog bites. I have a bad habit of ignoring them, only getting antibiotics when I've had a LOT of bites, but now, I'm more careful.

fanofdmb84
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
As a side note, hydrogen peroxide should never be used in puncture wounds, it is actually quite harmful to the tissues. In my pre-vet/med days I could elaborate why, but honestly I don't remember. The best thing is plain saline solution like eye wash. Hope she's doing better