PDA

View Full Version : Vision Impaired, barky dog

Linda Watkins
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
O.k. --So Rose the Devil Dog has always been a talker -- she barks to say hello, barks to express her displeasure, barks to express pleasure, plus the standard barking at other dogs & excited utterances....& it's a piercing bark -- the worst of the cattle dog barks -- ear piercing. :xx:

I keep thinking back to the darling little 4-week-old puppy who, as I snuggled her in my arms, lifted up her head on her wobbly little neck & said: "Wuff! Wuff!" I should have known. :lol:

We've worked for EIGHT LONG YEARS trying to control this barking & nothing has worked -- not the squirt bottle, not the rocks in the can, not the clicker, nada. :(

And now that she's losing her eyesight.....she's getting worse! There's a lot more reactive barking; she barks at things that move, but she can't tell what they are.....like tree branches.

Generally I have to admit, I can laugh at her & just shrug it off, but it really annoys Randy -- plus it hurts his ears...sigh. If I weren't so very strongly opposed to such things, I'd have her debarked...but I can't bring myself to do that. Not sure what to do at this point as I know it's only going to get worse the more her vision deteriorates....sorry -- I'm whining....just nothing else I can do :p:

dingoridge
08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Whining is accepted in something like this. I'm sorry Rose is losing her eyesight, she is fending off all those scary things that she hears and can't see. Bless her--and you.
J

littleroads
08-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Citronella collar? Her eyesight may be going, but if her faculties aren't gone yet, she can still learn a thing or two.

Does Randy have a good pair of earplugs? Nope, he won't hear you ask him to do things, but that's the upside of the trade-off for him.
;)

Linda Watkins
08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Citronella collar? Her eyesight may be going, but if her faculties aren't gone yet, she can still learn a thing or two.

;)

Oooh! Good idea -- why haven't I thought of that? I'm on my way to Amazon!:)

myanniegirl
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
We have the same problem at our house.

13 years ago my husband picked out the puppy who was standing with two paws on the fence BARKING. He's always been "noisy", but since he's lost his eyesight, he barks at everything...mainly for attention, I think.
He barks when he's hungry, he barks when he wants to go outside, he barks when Annie plays ball, he barks when we're eating, he barks when we leave, he barks when company leaves......you get the idea.

He's always been very mindful of us and obedient, especially my husband, but he has gotten to where we say "no" and he barks back at us...:p:
We have marked it up as old and stubborn.

Dominique
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Leo started going blind about a year ago and does the same thing. For the most part I can get him to stop when I tell him it is okay mom's got it and nothing is going hurt him so quit mouth. the secret to this is that you remain in a calm and quit voice which believe me I blow that part quite a bit.O.O

I learned to to do this when I got Hawk which was afraid of everything he would shriek out of fear so when he knew mom was going to take care of it he would stop.

dingoridge
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
We have marked it up as old and stubborn.

Oh, oh, that means my rescue group may get me a citronella collar :cry:
J

YogiBear
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Due to our neighbor complaining about our dogs barking - they seldom did - we got bark collars after much debate and talking to our dog trainer. Our youngest would bark at times just in defiance if nothing else as she is in her terrible twos. We were very much against doing anything like that but life sometimes forces you to do things you dont want to. In fear of the situation getting way out of hand we decided to try to do something proactive to hopefully eliminate the problem. We were pleasantly surprised. The collars we got have 3 settings w/ 9 ranges in each. With the collars being set at the very lowest setting they did the job. We are relieved. The second nice surpirse was that even when the collars are off they dont bark like they did. Not that they did much to begin with but it's now almost down to nothing all day long. Now they only bark maybe in play or at some very unusual noise in the neighborhood. We went w/ the shock collars because where we use to live we used citronella a lot because of mesquitos and it didn't seem to bother them at all so we figured it wouldnt have any affect on them. I know you may be making a difficult decision. Remember Rose for her good times. If she is losing her sight I would suspect she is scared and thus more barking. And she also may be scared because if she cant see like she once did she may not feel safe. If you think citronella would work for her try it - our humane soc here in hawaii has them free to use for a period of time - maybe some org in your state does too so you could try it out first to see if it works. Best of luck to you - give Rose a hug. Mrs YB

autiger23
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
The collars we got have 3 settings w/ 9 ranges in each. With the collars being set at the very lowest setting they did the job. We are relieved. The second nice surpirse was that even when the collars are off they dont bark like they did.

Thanks for the info, Mrs YB. I've been wondering about the bark collars and what the options were. A neighbor of mine had a dog that was very barky and he got one with good success. It's nice for the dog because she can still roam the yard whenever she wants. Nice for me because now my dogs aren't barking in response to his anymore, but I worried about the dog.

Do your collars have a vibrate setting? I'd heard that was an option on some, but I wonder if it is on the ones with many settings. I think that would work for Buck, but probably not with Scout. I wasn't a fan of shock collars until I saw how effective a tiny shock was with the scat mat I bought to keep mine out of the kitchen. They only had to be shocked on the low setting two or three times to learn the lesson- not anything too tramatic there. I got shocked wayyyy more than that and my shocks were worse since my foot goes over about six of the shocker things where their feet only went over one. Too bad I learned slower than they did. :lol:

RickAKAFishslayer
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I am VERY close to an E collar for Dingo. His worst barking is when he's in the back of the wagon and sees another dog. He knows I can't do anything about it and he has that shrieking bark, too.

I'd like to give him a zap when he starts biting & yanking his leash, too....:grr:

Rick:paw:

autiger23
08-05-2009, 06:54 PM
His worst barking is when he's in the back of the wagon and sees another dog. He knows I can't do anything about it and he has that shrieking bark, too.

Rick, I have this exact same problem with Buck and have tried about ten different things. The one that has finally worked is sticking him in a crate in the back that he can't see out of. I kind of hate doing it to him because he doesn't get to look around, but I really can't take the noise anymore (I have a small SUV, so the shrieks revertabrate in the enclosed area). Also, when he's quiet, Scout then doesn't start in- when he barks, she barks, so it's doubly loud and could easily cause me to have an accident (I'm jumpy with loud, sudden noises). And they get more and more ramped up with each successive dog they see. Plus, Scout does it when she sees people, too, so then Buck joins in with that. Lots of people and dogs walking in my city, so ugh. Anyway, just wanted to see if that's something you've tried yet.

Oh, and Buck does that pulling and biting his leash thing, too. Actually, I've seen/heard about quite a few ACDs doing it. Buck does it when he's frustrated- is that when Dingo does it, too? With Buck it's when he sees a dog or person on our walks and he wants to go over to greet them and I say no. I've had some success getting him to quit if I grab the leash so that he can't get to it either right before he does it or just as he's doing it and give him a quiet, but 'mean' 'no!'. If he starts tugging for more than a couple seconds, it takes wayyyy longer to get him to cut it out. But if Dingo's not doing it for a particular reason, that can be tough. Maybe walk him with a chain a couple times so the metal isn't so much fun to bite? Hee! Just kidding. Uh, kind of. I know your frustration.

YogiBear
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Mrs YB. I've been wondering about the bark collars and what the options were. A neighbor of mine had a dog that was very barky and he got one with good success. It's nice for the dog because she can still roam the yard whenever she wants. Nice for me because now my dogs aren't barking in response to his anymore, but I worried about the dog.

Do your collars have a vibrate setting? I'd heard that was an option on some, but I wonder if it is on the ones with many settings. I think that would work for Buck, but probably not with Scout. I wasn't a fan of shock collars until I saw how effective a tiny shock was with the scat mat I bought to keep mine out of the kitchen. They only had to be shocked on the low setting two or three times to learn the lesson- not anything too tramatic there. I got shocked wayyyy more than that and my shocks were worse since my foot goes over about six of the shocker things where their feet only went over one. Too bad I learned slower than they did. :lol:

I dont believe they have a vibrate setting. I think my husband chose this particular brand because it had very very mild to extreme settings so you could vary it per dog. At 3 different levels and 9 stages on each that gives you 27 different settings. Although we're still not happy about doing it to them - it was really just our puppy that would bark somewhat. And I mean somewhat. She'd sometimes bark because she wanted attention or to be fed. As defiant as she was I just truly didnt think it'd stop her but it did almost immediately. I keep telling myself it is better than things getting to a point to court (unjustified) and having a judge tell us she needs to get debarked which would simply freak me out. We're not in a financial position to move again and it would kill me to rehome any of them. Ultimately I'd have to do what was best for them. Our dog trainer helped us put it in perspective. If the neighbor is a complainer it's better to stop things from escalating now. So if you think it's mean to put a shock collar on her how would you feel if she had to get debarked. It's all perspective I guess. We still feel bad about it but since it works it's not really an issue because she seldom barks enough for it to go off. She maybe yaps as a greeting or in play but I don't think it goes off unless it's continued barking. So all in all I guess it was worth the stress of putting it on her only to find out it works quite well. Hope this helps. BTW since we have it on the absolute lowest setting the shock is very very mild and none of them usually get it at all. Once in a while the pup does because she's still in her terrible twos and forgets herself and gets excited but she immediately stops herself. (P.S. we knew the citronella collars wouldn't work because we used the mosquito punks so much and the dogs were not bothered by the scent at all.) Mrs YB^^

YogiBear
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM

I don't believe they have a vibrate setting. However, with 3 levels and 9 stages per level it gives you 27 different settings. We've kept them on the very lowest and it seems to work very well. ACDs are smart and they "get it" right away. We still feel bad having to go to this extreme but it easily resolved the situation - the dogs are happy, we're happy and the neighbor is no longer complaining. We asked our dog trainers opinion and he put it in perspective - if we feel the collar is mean how would we feel if things got totally out of hand and we landed in court (unjustified) and were told by a judge she had to get debarked. It's all a matter of perspective. Our pup in her terrible twos was the one doing the barking and being very defiant about it. She learned quick and stopped almost immediately. She's a total different (but still happy) dog. She got the message. Once in a while she forgets herself because she still has the puppy in her and gets excited at times but once she gets a mild zap she stops herself and just does the wiggle butt thing instead. All in all it was worth the heartache we both felt doing it. Having to move or rehome any of our dogs just was not an option. Although of course their ultimate happiness would be the deciding factor. We knew the citronella collars wouldnt bother them as we used mosquito punks a lot at our old home. This works. Bottom line I guess is peace of mind was worth it although I don't think I'll ever truly "like" it. When it gets to me I just tell myself that other "legal" alternatives coming from a judge may of been much worse. There are countless bark collars out there. Pet suppliers and outdoor/hunting companies have them too to help train dogs to retrieve. My husband decided to go with this one because of so many settings.^^Mrs YB

YogiBear
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry - somehow I thought I lost the post and now 2 appear. Ms YB