PDA

View Full Version : Stranded with 2 Dogs on a Mountain

Songbird
08-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Last week hubby and I packed up both dogs (Ozzie the ACD mix and Annie the black lab foster) and headed up with the 5th wheel trailer for a week at Medicine lake (between Mt. Shasta and Tulelake, California). This lake is way up in the middle of nowhere at above 6500 foot elevation. The lake itself is in the crater of an old volcano. We set up camp and things went great that first evening - but the next morning we discovered the truck wouldn't start. To make a long story short, hubby had to get the ranger to help contact a towing service to pick up the truck. The truck and hubby got towed to Redding (about an hour away), while I stayed with the trailer and 2 dogs. We were stuck up on that mountain for 2 days and nights before we got "rescued" - with no vehicle or cell phone service. BUT - we actually enjoyed it! I'm so glad I had my two buddies with me. They were awesome dogs. They slept with me in the trailer and we hiked everywhere (not much else to do but eat, sleep, and hike). I loved watching them go through their daily "zoomies" in the mountains. I will try to put up some pictures. My daughter's comment was - "wow, you must have been pretty bored - you took at least 500 pictures of two dogs in the forest".

Songbird
08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Here are pictures of the two dogs having ZOOMIES in the forest:

Songbird
08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
And here they are looking so beautiful:

Songbird
08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Nappy time (they DID get worn out occasionally)

littleroads
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
That looks like my kind of "stranded"! :D

dingoridge
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh my, what a tremendous bonding experience for you three, and you never would have done that, exactly like that, without the "trouble". See trouble sometimes isn't trouble at all but a blessing. And you would have really missed the Ozzie dog if you had been there without him--yeah, Ozzie, you were supposed to be Songbird's dog!!!! Yep, you were!!!!

Beautiful pictures, I'm with you, E, strand me, please!!!!
J

gwynkb
08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Oh my, what a tremendous bonding experience for you three, and you never would have done that, exactly like that, without the "trouble". See trouble sometimes isn't trouble at all but a blessing. And you would have really missed the Ozzie dog if you had been there without him--yeah, Ozzie, you were supposed to be Songbird's dog!!!! Yep, you were!!!!

Beautiful pictures, I'm with you, E, strand me, please!!!!
J

:D:D:D:love:
oh me tooo!!!!

Belgrael
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
What a wonderful time out for you all. I would love to be stranded like that too!!
Beautiful photos too. Thanks so much for sharing those.

mycattlekids
08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
wow what wonderful pictures. I have driven through that area and it is a pretty spot. Glad everything worked out for all of you. Lots of play time and naps:)

lynelle
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
That looks so great! We just got an rv so we could travel with the dogs. Let me know of any campgrounds you know of that are fun for dogs! We are planning a trip out west next summer!

Songbird
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately, all the established campgrounds in California have rules about dogs being on a 6 foot leash or inside the trailer at all times. I kept them on leashes when we walked from our campsite, but once out of the "populated" area, I let them off lead (which is against the rules, but no one said anything!) Ozzie I don't worry about since he's more wary of strangers and has excellent recall. Annie I have to watch since she LOVES everyone and will take off to make new people friends whenever she sees anyone. Her recall is fine until she's sidetracked by new potential human friends. U.S. Forestry campgrounds (which Medicine Lake is) are much more lenient than the State Parks. I did tether them while in our campsite, but most of the time the 3 of us spent inside the trailer or out on the trails.

It wasn't a very relaxing trip for my poor hubby - and he still has to drive the 6 hours back to Medicine Lake to pick up the trailer. Hopefully the truck will be ready to roll by Tuesday so I can drive him up to Redding to pick it up. I'll drive back home while he drives on up to get the trailer.

Songbird
08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Joanne - I thought about you while we were up at Medicine Lake. I know Klamath Falls isn't too far from where we camp.

lynelle
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, all the established campgrounds in California have rules about dogs being on a 6 foot leash or inside the trailer at all times. That is how all the ones here are too. Although the one we went to had a big field where you could let them off leash and then there is one in Delaware that you can take the dogs on the beach off season. I love those fifth wheelers though. They are so spacious! We don't have a truck though so it would have been too much of an investment. We got a used class a for pretty cheap to see how much we like it and eventually we may look into a truck and a fifth wheeler. I just love being able to take the dogs along when I travel! Hope you get everything fixed so you can get back out there and enjoy it!

Lizzie
08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
That is how all the ones here are too. Although the one we went to had a big field where you could let them off leash and then there is one in Delaware that you can take the dogs on the beach off season. I love those fifth wheelers though. They are so spacious! We don't have a truck though so it would have been too much of an investment. We got a used class a for pretty cheap to see how much we like it and eventually we may look into a truck and a fifth wheeler. I just love being able to take the dogs along when I travel! Hope you get everything fixed so you can get back out there and enjoy it!

When are you taking me Le? I am paper trained:lol:

lynelle
08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
These are a couple pics from our camping adventure:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/lynelle9675/IMG_3259.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/lynelle9675/IMG_3279.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/lynelle9675/IMG_3277.jpg

At the bottom of the canyon there was no one around so we let the dogs go splash around.

When are you taking me Le? I am paper traine

I told you Liz Chief and I are going to take you and Luna to NC for R and R's next herding day. I just have to keep you on a 6 foot leash. Campground rules.

babswilde
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
OH! I've been there to Medicine Lake too! Gorgeous for sure. I loved all the pics...It looks so cool and refreshing!

littleroads
08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Ooooo, a stinkwad tail! ;)

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/lynelle9675/IMG_3259.jpg

Lizzie
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I told you Liz Chief and I are going to take you and Luna to NC for R and R's next herding day. I just have to keep you on a 6 foot leash. Campground rules.

Why don't we go 2 Texas to See Jenn...or NY to see Karen...or that farm somewhere in the middle of the nation where LAuralu lives...they all voted 4 me as moderator.......

I like a spikey collar Le...black patent leather plz;)

Bluerules
08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Last week hubby and I packed up both dogs (Ozzie the ACD mix and Annie the black lab foster) and headed up with the 5th wheel trailer for a week at Medicine lake (between Mt. Shasta and Tulelake, California). This lake is way up in the middle of nowhere at above 6500 foot elevation. The lake itself is in the crater of an old volcano. We set up camp and things went great that first evening - but the next morning we discovered the truck wouldn't start. To make a long story short, hubby had to get the ranger to help contact a towing service to pick up the truck. The truck and hubby got towed to Redding (about an hour away), while I stayed with the trailer and 2 dogs. We were stuck up on that mountain for 2 days and nights before we got "rescued" - with no vehicle or cell phone service. BUT - we actually enjoyed it! I'm so glad I had my two buddies with me. They were awesome dogs. They slept with me in the trailer and we hiked everywhere (not much else to do but eat, sleep, and hike). I loved watching them go through their daily "zoomies" in the mountains. I will try to put up some pictures. My daughter's comment was - "wow, you must have been pretty bored - you took at least 500 pictures of two dogs in the forest".
Sounds so awesome!!! yes what a great bonding experince. Beautiful dogs.. and im the same way I can just go off taking pictures sometimes into the hundreds in just minutes hahaha thanks for sharing

Miss Marlie
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
What a great trip.
Marlynn and my girls Kate and Lola :)