PDA

View Full Version : Wow I feel stupid

Brunella
08-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I realize that we haven't had a puppy in the house in YEARS and, well, Maggie is very much a puppy and I don't completely remember how to change certain behaviors.

1) Play biting -- I've been using a small spray botte with water in it and giving her a quick squirt, removing her from me and firmly saying NO. Suggestions?

2) Jumping on us -- I fold my arms and turn away from her when she does this and while turned away firmly say NO, DOWN. Suggestions?

3) Countersurfing -- Again with the spray bottle and NO. Suggestions?

Other than those behaviors she has had no accidents in the house (except for one little thing when she was trying to tell me she had to go out and my husband grabbed her to put her eye drops in and she pee'd on the floor a little bit, she genuinely seemed ashamed of herself).

She's "stolen" a few things she shouldn't have (kitchen sponge, kitchen drain thingy, my husband's lunch roll, hubby's socks) but we've been doing well at taking "no" items from her and replacing it with a toy. She's also gotten very good at knowing to sit for treats and for meals. That's VERY cute. My two wouldn't DREAM of getting a treat without sitting and she learned to follow that cue very quickly. She's also good at respecting pack order for feeding and treats, Ding first, then Tuggs and Maggie last. I think she learned quickly that she wouldn't be excluded from treats she just had to be patient.

I know she has the capacity to learn quickly because of her frisbee learning skills; or maybe she had that innately and no one knew it until she landed here.

She is EXCELLENT on walks, better than either of the other two. I can't even walk the other two around the neighborhood because they go crazy over EVERYTHING but Maggie and I walked around the neighborhood yesterday (after I walked Ding and Tugger on the trails in the local park) and bicyclists didn't bother her, other dogs (even ones charging towards a fence) didn't bother her, people mowing lawns didn't phase her. It was delightful; especially the gaggle of teenage girls squeeling about what a pretty dog Maggie is (she's got very delicate, girly features which immediately attracts girly-girls to notice her) and Maggie politely sitting next to me so they could pet her and coo at her.

I know after all of the GOOD things I just said about her the 3 behaviors we're working on seem rather benign but they still need to change.

Thanks for any help (boy do I feel dopey right now).

littleroads
08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
1) Play-biting - high-pitched squeal form you (like she's killing you!), remove her from you for a few minutes, and/or replace with something she *can* have. (I see you are already doing that.)

2) Jumping - you are doing right by turning away. If she keeps it up - time-out in her crate.

3) Counter-surfing - NO and a spray bottle can work - and also making sure there is NOTHING UP THERE she can get. If no reward, the behavior will stop.

cowdogs4me
08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
U R DOING IT WRITE! You are not stupid. I have water bottles with a little vinegar placed all around the house.

MaggieDog
08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
You're lucky she responds to water bottles - Kes actually finds squirts rewarding lol.

I prefer the yelp and ignore tactic for nipping, myself, and keeping things off the counters. For jumping I would highly encourage adding in heavy praise when she is on the ground behaving - all too often people forget to reward the good and that can make the whole process much tougher for everyone.

Brunella
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks, keep the tips coming. We do praise her very much when she does well. Like when one of us comes in and the other of us makes her sit and if she holds the stay we shower her with "good girl, GOOD girl, Maggie, such a good girl". I've only been using the spray bottle for about a day and she seems to already be "getting it". Again, not having had a puppy in the house for about 5+ years I felt rather brain dead. I literally had the spray bottle "epiphany" yesterday morning while I had the other two walking the trails in the park with me. She responds very well to praise, she does aim to please.

I hate to admit it but we're really bad about leaving stuff around to be counter surfed because the other two NEVER did that. My husband is the worst because he can just be oblivious sometimes; like when she stole the roll he was using for lunch earlier this week. I know his routine and I'm sure that roll was on a paper towel near the edge of the counter, it wasn't even a challenge.

She will be leaving someday, right? ;)

littleroads
08-02-2009, 02:32 PM

No. ;)

My husband is the worst because he can just be oblivious sometimes; like when she stole the roll he was using for lunch earlier this week. I know his routine and I'm sure that roll was on a paper towel near the edge of the counter, it wasn't even a challenge.

She is smart. Soon she will have your husband trained not to leave food on the counter.
;)

cowdogs4me
08-02-2009, 02:35 PM

:duh:I thinks maybe not.

Dominique
08-02-2009, 02:41 PM
:lol: That girl is going nowhere.

mlanger
08-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I used a water bottle at school to keep Matty quiet when she was crated and other dogs were running an agility course.
Then one day I was trying to give her a bath--- she is good for baths.
When I grabbed the bottle of shampoo she flipped out!!! Big, big backfire!!! she is afraid of anything that looks like a squirt bottle. She doesn't like anything that squirts now either. Another big problem, when I want to cool her off in the summer heat at a trial, she wont play in the water from a hose!

I keep stuff off the counters.

Lots of treats will work wonders for administering the eye meds.

Praise is good but praise and treats are better. Even if you have to reduce the amount of food in their regular meals
because of all the treats.

cowdogs4me
08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
We have all been trained to leave no food unattended. Even if you think the food on the counter is pushed way back against the wall...:lol:
As for non food items like socks,hair scrunchies,undergarments,washcloths etc...If they are left on the floor, consider them gone.

Funny story---My son was assigned poop pick up. He found one of my small scrunchies mixed in with one of the poops. It had made it full circle!
The next day, I put a matching one in my hair and told him I just rinsed it offO.O He still thinks I really did that^^

KAKZooKpr
08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
The next day, I put a matching one in my hair and told him I just rinsed it offO.O He still thinks I really did that^^

I LOVE it! :lol:

Kristina

lauralu
08-02-2009, 07:04 PM
you are not stupid! i seem to forget all the time until a foster puppy comes!

some more tips:

for the jumping...the turning your back is great but don't even say anything like "no" or "down" as this is a form of attention. you can also put your hands in the air or cross them across your body when you turn your back.

counter surfing...everything out of the way (we move it up on top of the fridge) and tin foil spread on the counter (and held under something heavy)...most dogs don't like the way it looks or feels.