PDA

View Full Version : Excited!

Harley
08-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi All, I am somewhat new and haven't posted much. Anyway I am so proud of my little cattle dog I just had to share. A month or so ago I posted in the training forum for tips on encouraging Harley to back sheep. Then I realized many of you might not realize what that means. Aussie sheep dogs are asked to back sheep, meaning jump up on the backs of sheep and run up and down on the sheep moving the mob into pens. Well Harley has started backing sheep all on her own without much guidance from me. I'm really excited about this as it increases her value and makes my job sooo much easier. Even better she thinks its all games a loves it ^^ I'll try to get a photo soon.

Cheers
Gina

Belgrael
08-01-2009, 05:42 AM
That's great news Gina! I would love to see her at work. I would also dearly love to expose my boys to some sheep or cattle but there's no such thing up here in FNQ :(

2speckledblue
08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Wow, I've never heard of backing sheep! I'd love to see that. I don't think that is done in the US. You gotta post a photo. I've done sheep surfing. I was out in the pen training Roo and stumbled over some sticky sheep. I fell across their backs and they carried me a little way. Fun.

Miss Marlie
08-01-2009, 01:03 PM
That's wonderful news. It's always exciting to see your dog(s) do something naturally.

Marlynn and my girls Kate and Lola :D

dingoridge
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, I've never heard of backing sheep! I'd love to see that. I don't think that is done in the US.

Yep, it is done in the US, there are some "cow training camps" that teach ACDs to back sheep. Don't have any pictures but have a friend who goes to cow camp every year and that's something she gets a chance to do with her ACDs.
J

2speckledblue
08-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm going to ask my herding instructor about it.

TexasCDLorenz
08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm afraid Penny would like that too much! LOL She might just grab ahold of one and not let go! I can just see her in Las Vegas at the PBR finals- bull-riding Heeler!

Doug in Alaska
08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Yep, I've seen a couple of Suzanne's dogs do this. It really provides a good show during trials!

k9blueheeler
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I know a couple of people here where I live whose dogs run the backs of sheep. It's actually kind of cool to see. I've not seen it in person. I have seen the photos that were taken. These are two of my local clubs people. I don't think it's very popular here in the states but it is done.