PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ace

TherapyDogMom
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
You may remember that Ace came to me as a rehomed AKC ACD about a year ago at the age of 6 months. I originally thought to use him for breeding with Skye. Well, the best-laid plans can often go awry! He is huge! He is so tall he is well out of standard. But on the plus side, he is perfectly proportioned and is a very handsome dog. His PRA test showed him to be a "B". In view of his size and his ability to pass the PRA gene to puppies, I have chosen to have him neutered today. My dreams of his attaining a conformation title are out of the window. He will stay overnight at Dr. John's and then I'll pick him up him tomorrow and bring him home. The co-owner has agreed to sign off on his papers because of my insistence that he be neutered. My hubby and I will re-register him with AKC showing us as the sole owners of Ace.

Now we will concentrate on continuing his therapy dog training with the goal of passing his therapy dog evaluation this fall. And...we may decide to show him in obedience and/or rally down the road. Who knows what the future may hold for Ace....

Since I am new to the concept of breeding, I've done a lot of research and have asked a lot of questions from experienced breeders. I'm sure I've been a royal PIA to quite a few with my questions. I thank you all for your understanding and patience with me.

I aim to be a responsible breeder and do all the right things to the best of my ability. After much deliberation and soul-searching, I chose to neuter Ace. In about a year or so, I will be searchiing for a suitable male to breed to Skye by IA.

Please don't think badly of me for neutering Ace. I didn't do this without a lot of thought and deliberation.

Linda
...and Cody, Jake, and Skye (Ace at the vet's today).

irzi86
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I totally understand you, i got my parson russell male Jacek castrated for similar reasons. Even with great pedigree and all tests (patellar luxation and eye lens luxation) are clear, he is very tall and 3 of his brothers plus himself have epilepsy. So i thought the only option i have is got him spayed.
Otherwise, with his testicles or without, he is outstanding agility dog.

And the other parson Farol,was also considered a breeding male, but i hesitate, as he appears very feminine like, so i would not like to breed him.
He is not neutered tho, as he doesn't mind for bitches in heat. At all.
(ugh, he even acts feminineO.O)

Jake&Tex
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Please don't think badly of me for neutering Ace. I didn't do this without a lot of thought and deliberation.

OK, I'm not at all involved in breeding dogs. But from everything I have ever read about it, I have seen that a main reason is for betterment of the breed. If Ace is too big or has risk of passing on any genetic problems, and breeding him would likely NOT contribute to the betterment of the breed, then I wouldn't see why anyone would think badly of you!? I would think people would be glad that you have recognized these issues and put so much thought into it!!!
Best of luck to you :)

Miss Marlie
07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
This just shows what a responsible breeder you are or going to be. Good breeders want to better the breed. I believe you made the right decision.
Marlynn and my girls Kate and Lola ;)

TherapyDogMom
07-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I just brought Ace home. He's still the same ol' Goober dog. In fact, that's his nickname....don't ask me where Goober came from, it just seems to fit.;)

Now to wait for the testosterone levels to drop. (My other two males were rescues and were neutered when I got them). This is my first experience with neutering a male. Can anyone give me any tips and/or hints as to when the testosterone levels start to go?

littleroads
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Believe I've heard 4-6 weeks.

Mel2001
07-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Believe I've heard 4-6 weeks.

Well, with Nash, he's going on 12 months, lol. He's been trying to get some good humping action with Pandora, probably because she's flying to her new home next week, lol. :lol:

Dominique
07-30-2009, 08:24 AM
As far as humping good luck actually they stop after a while except at my house which is not allowed but mine need reminded of this daily. They hump Leo for different reasons Beau does it when it is around dinner time and he humps from the side then bounces around the house like Tiggar.:p:
Mary Jane humps him at the proper end when she needs to go potty or it is going rain you tell her to stop and she does instantly damn alpha girl.O.O

competitivek9s
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't think badly of you you made the choice you think is best!
Having said that, his testing as a B appears to be misunderstood (not sure, so will clear it up anyhow). As a B you can still breed him without producing pups with PRA. You would have to breed him ONLY to dogs who tested as "A" or clear. The resulting litter would be a combination of "clear" (A's) and carriers (Bs). You then can choose to keep only As for future breeding, or again breed the B to an A, depending on their other attributes. So if the dog is great in other respects, eliminating his genes from a pool that isn't overly large (though not small as some either) only on the basis of B isn't required.
His being oversize according to standard is another monkey all together!

Nomadofthehills
07-31-2009, 06:04 PM
I just brought Ace home. He's still the same ol' Goober dog. In fact, that's his nickname....don't ask me where Goober came from, it just seems to fit.;)

Now to wait for the testosterone levels to drop. (My other two males were rescues and were neutered when I got them). This is my first experience with neutering a male. Can anyone give me any tips and/or hints as to when the testosterone levels start to go?

If he was mature when neutered, his behavior will probably not change very much, if at all. Behaviors that were originally hormonal have probably become ingrained by now. :)

TherapyDogMom
08-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I can't believe the change in Ace just since Tuesday. He seems much more settled in just this short time. He always was a velcro fella but it seems a bit more pronounced now.

I didn't expect him to start "coming down" this soon. I am pleased.

3blues
08-01-2009, 01:54 PM
That's great you decided to have him neutered. I think you made the right decision & the right decision for Ace. That's very responsible as a future breeder. Sounds like he's doing well. :thumb_yello: Way to go.