PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining an ACD

zaphod121
07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Thought I'd ask all you out there what do you do to keep your ACD entertained. Due to my work I have to leave my dog for 24hrs at a time and I need as many things to keep her occupied as I can get. I'll even through out some of my girls favorite toys.

#1 Toy is a tetherball hanging from a tree. She will jump at this until she is exhausted (best toy ever)

#2 Soccer ball, Dingo loves chasing and tackling it.

#3 Kiddie pool, she loves to get in the center and splash the water
Also, when I'm home I will freeze a tupperware container of ice and
throw it into the pool for her to try to get out. (she a little OCD about things floating in her pool)

nschiro
07-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Pawsom is pretty mellow so it doesn't take much to keep her occupied. Right now, she is working on chewing an old pair of my crocs. They are awesome because they don't seem to rip. At least, she can't get them to rip apart. I freeze kongs for her to work on when she's home alone. I also have bully sticks and a reindeer antler and raw bones. She also has a variety of kibble dispensing toys for her to work on.

Could you have a dog walker come in to do a good long walk on those days? I have a lot of clients that use me (I'm a professional pet sitter) for long work days to get their dogs some exercise and mental stimulation.

Nicole

redcattle
07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Croydon seems to like playing with his toys when we are out so we make sure he has pleanty of toys when he was younger (now being nearly 8 he sleeps a bit more) I used to freeze food in a kong toy and leave that for him he spent all his time trying to get the food out ACD's are intelligent dogs so if there is something there for them to get into they will usually find a way to make use of it. If your dog is really active the other post suggesting a professional dog walker is a great idea if you dont have the time to take him for walks yourself Anne and Croydon:paw:

danrporter
07-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I take one of those Kong Octogony Treat balls and pack it tight with dog food. Since the food is about the same size as the whole Maddie has to toss it around to get the food to fall out. Lasts about a couple hours the first few times, but now she has it figured out and only lasts 15 minutes or so.

I have heard of our shelter filling Bowling Ball finger holes with peanut butter and the weight of the ball is so hard to roll it wears them out!:)

MaggieDog
07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
They used to make a Kong dispenser, that coupled with frozen kongs would be a great option!

Chew Toy
07-25-2009, 03:20 AM
Here is a thread I started when I first got here that has some ideas: http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=14524

littleroads
07-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I'll add one caution about the tether ball - if possible, get a skinny piece of PVC pipe to put over the rope about a foot long on top of the ball - slim chance, but I've heard of those ropes getting tangled around a dog (neck or paws) and being unable to get untangled - especially if they are left unsupervised for any length of time.

dingoridge
07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I'll add one caution about the tether ball - if possible, get a skinny piece of PVC pipe to put over the rope about a foot long on top of the ball - slim chance, but I've heard of those ropes getting tangled around a dog (neck or paws) and being unable to get untangled - especially if they are left unsupervised for any length of time.

With an ACD. the best thing to assume is whatever can happen, WILL happen.:(
J

KAKZooKpr
07-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Great idea!