PDA

View Full Version : Late night at vet

Miss Marlie
07-18-2009, 01:20 AM
I just got back from the emergence vet. It is now a little after 10. My poor Kate got a big foxtail up her nose. Had to sadate her (poor thing) vet looked all up in her nose but never found it. Until I loaded her in the van and there sat a big bloody foxtail. I'm just thankful it is out.

Marlynn and my girls Kate:paw: and Lola:paw:

Belgrael
07-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Marlynn, how scary!! I've heard horror stories of those things and am very glad we don't have them here. Give her a big kiss from me. I'm glad it came out by itself!

3blues
07-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Poor Kate! I'm so glad it came out though. From everything I've heard those things are nasty, nasty, nasty. At least you guys can get some sleep now. Hugs to you both. :)

Mel2001
07-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Wow! I'm glad she "expelled" the nasty foxtail on her own. But, good thing you took her to the vet for antibiotics, etc. :paw:

Our GSP Pepper had 3 deep in his left ear a couple of months ago. The vet was able to extract them.

Our foster Pandora had one embedded on her side that got infected & swelled up. The vet never did find it, but Panda's better now.

Dominique
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Poor Kate glad to hear she blew it out hope she is feeling better today.

mycattlekids
07-18-2009, 08:20 AM
how scary that must have been. I once had a friend and her dog had a grass seed up his nose and he sneezed solid until it came out. I can't imagine something like a foxtail.

Ringtailroxy
07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
i'm not familiar with this environmental hazard, being on the east coast of the U.S. i know foxtails are a seed,but exactly how do they penetrate a dog? they look like a piece of wheat!

we have invasive Bufo marinus toads, so we see more Bufo toxicities than anything else during the summer, except maybe heat exhaustion.

we have pygmy rattle snakes, the usual bees & wasps, and more drownings than i'd like to ever see.

but anything plantlike? only ingestion toxicities form toxic ornamental.

rtr

littleroads
07-18-2009, 09:58 AM
See Rick's previous threads on foxtails...

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=18053&highlight=foxtails

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=17887&highlight=foxtails

Miss Marlie
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the surport Kate is doing well this morning. Maybe a little tired. Foxtails look just like a fox's tail and it can only travel forward not back. It just keeps going forward and she got it to travel and it came out into her mouth. She then spit it out. The irritation did cause her to bleed out the nose. She was covered in foxtails, I think she rolled the area where all the weeds have grown. Well, this weekend will be weed eating time in that area.

Marlynn and my girls Kate:paw: and Lola:paw:

Beth99
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
So glad the foxtail is out and that Kate is doing well. :biggrin2:

i'm not familiar with this environmental hazard, being on the east coast of the U.S. i know foxtails are a seed,but exactly how do they penetrate a dog? they look like a piece of wheat!

They have a very sharp point and are barbed, so once they are in they don't want to come out. When a dog has their nose in the brush, it's amazing how easily they can get into noses, ears or other places.

nschiro
07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
We have foxtails in western New York state. I saw some the other day on our hike. I kept an eye out for them and kept Pawsom on her leash.

Nicole

Bluerules
07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
wow im SO glad we don't got fox tails here.. or posion toads. Glad that Kate will be ok!!

cowdogs4me
07-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Foxtails are evil. My old house was full of them. I had two fosters that had gotten a foxtail and needed surgery. I was gonna post a photo, but they are to gross. One girl Zena looked like she had been attacked. Her throat was swelled up and she had emergency surgery. They found a foxtail. It is amazing that this little weed can be so bad. I am glad my new house is older and has mature green landscape.