PDA

View Full Version : Loose dogs in the neighborhood

candlelight001
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Our neighborhood is thick with dogs that get loose, many of them big and mean looking. Yesterday a neighbor (in the technical as opposed to the communal sense of the word) had left his gate open, his two big dogs ran down to the fence barking at me, Stan and Luke. We turned around, and luckily they did not take advantage of the open gate. This is probably the third or fourth near miss in the last couple months.

I carry pepper spray in my pocket, is the the most effective way to defend us if we're attacked? What are the pros and cons of holding the dogs, vs letting them go so they can run away?

Anyone with real world experience with this?

Linda Watkins
07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I know that some folks don't agree, but my take on having leashed dogs being attacked or otherwise "enthusiastically" or "assertively" approached by unleashed dogs is: drop the leashes -- it leaves both of your hands free to pull out the pepper spray & it allows your dogs to maneuver & either get away or defend themselves w/out you being caught in the middle of a dog pile & possibly getting either bitten or a more severe injury.

Any way you can keep a high power nozzle on a garden hose out front & just nail his dogs when they are running the fence?

YogiBear
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
The only experience we've had is a lady in the neighborhood walks her 2 dogs - 1 on a leash, 1 not. He seems harmless enough but the problem is two fold - 1 we have a leash law in this town and 2 if our dogs where on a leash that dog may think it was ok to walk over to them, which may nor may not be the case. At least if your dog is on a leash you can pull him back if they dont seem happy w/ each other. She couldnt. In your situation I think I agree w/Linda as she made some good points. I hope others will post that have had situations so we all can gain some insight as to best handle unexpected situations. Mrs YB

Bluedog04
07-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Shooter and I go for walks in different parts of the country. I always carry pepper spray and sometimes depending on where I am I carry a stungun and a 3+ foot axe handle. I do this for protection against other animals. We have been chased by Pit bulls and other aggressive dogs and I simply got tired of having to retreat. Now, I know you can't always carry some of the weapon I do, but you have to protect yourself against these dogs. I refuse to let some other dog or wild animal hurt Shooter. I used to be afraid of stray dogs, but now when we encounter them its game on. I know this is an aggressive position, but I will not allow another dog to hurt my dog or me. I hope your situation improves because I know it is stressful going for a walk only to have to defend yourself. Take care.

autiger23
07-18-2009, 04:10 AM
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I found small air horns at a party store that are about the size of a regular pepper spray (easy to keep in your hand) and I thought that might be a good alternative to dogs coming near without owners that look like they might be bad news, but not so much that you are ready to pepper spray them yet. You could also blast the noise at them before they get close and startle them away from you. Just a thought- I really bought it for moose and bears, but thought it might be a nice alternative to getting a jerky dog away from me with hurting it or accidentally pepper spraying myself or my dogs.

TexasCDLorenz
07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I think Laura (who is here in Texas this weekend) has had the worst experience of us all. She was walking her Lab, ACD (still at pup) and her 8yr son- they were attacked by 2 Pittbulls! The Lab was seriously injured, but fortunately, other people came out and drove the dogs away- not easy with Pitts! For that reason, since most of the stray dogs and dog running loose are Pitts, I carry a stun gun and repellant. The repellant can blow back on you, but it is better that nothing. Go to your local hunting supply store and get bear repellant- comes in a much bigger container and is supposed to be stronger than the basic pepper spray used on dogs. I've seen Pitts ignore the repellant, but a stun gun will stop them. If I were you, I would call animal control over & over. I live in a rural area without animal control, so I have to go to extremes. The only times I walk my dogs on leash is occasionally at some animal shelter fundraiser or at dogshows,where we are never far from my van. I would spray the heck out of these dogs everytime they come near, if they still get close or the wind is blowing to much to spray- then tazer them! But call animal control or the police and tell them there are dangerous dogs running loose.

littleroads
07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
The only trouble with the air horn, I would think, would be that it would scare your own dog as well - maybe to the point of not wanting to walk anymore!

Bluerules
07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I use to have this probelm almost everytime I would walk my old dog Blue (RIP) countless fights happened.. I just started to carry a big thick stick and after that many-a-dog got clubed but no more fighting for my Blue

Lizzie
07-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I use to have this probelm almost everytime I would walk my old dog Blue (RIP) countless fights happened.. I just started to carry a big thick stick and after that many-a-dog got clubed but no more fighting for my Blue

This sounds pretty rough....clubbing a dog? Were these wild dogs or your neighbors? If they were a neighbor's dog...could you have talked to them? Or called animal control.....just visually...it appears brutal.